| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What are your favorite Isa recipes?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:01 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I agree with others that Vcon's leek and bean cassoulet is a winner for omnis. I also do well with the chickpea noodle soup, the snobby joes (these are in regular rotation at my place) and the mango and quinoa salad in the summer. I've only made chickpea cutlets once but my husband ate a pile of them. The lemony roasted potatoes are great too!

From the blog I recently made the Tempeh Orzilla and we all loved it -would be great without the tempeh too. And hubby declared the PPK gingerbread men the best he's ever had.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:31 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Today was a day of yummy goodness! I made the split pea soup for lunch and had chickpea cutlets with mustard sauce and asparagus for dinner. I also HAD to make focaccia bread and HAD to dip it in olive oil and balsamic!

So much for oil free! *evil grin*

Isa is my new best friend, in a totally non-stalky kind of way!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The leek and bean cassoulet is the ONLY thing I can think of that everybody in my house will eat. It's miraculous. We had it for Christmas Eve dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

lavawitch wrote:
How was the soup? I need to make a batch next week. Mom and I live off that stuff all winter.

It was friggen amazing! I plan on making it again and again and again, but first I need to finish the several bowlfuls I still have - don't think I'll have a problem there! *wink*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 pm 
Chip Strong

Chickpea-cabbage-rice soup—the ppk blog - By far I've made this more than any other Isa non-dessert item.

Others i have tried and loved:
hottie black beans and greens—afr (hubby dislikes heat so i used a mild chili powder instead of the hot stuff)
chickpea cutlets-vcon

I'll be honest, I only own AFR and the dessert trilogy so what savoury stuff I've tred is a little slim. Ask me about pies and cookies and would i ever have a list for you. :-p

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:31 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Our top recipes are the VWAV pad Thai (sans sugar), the Vcon lemony potatoes, the black bean quinoa soup on the blog, and the VB avocado potato salad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:54 am 
ol' garly cooch

snobby joes. snob-snobby joes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

jewbacca wrote:
snobby joes. snob-snobby joes.

Yeah.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:51 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

These are my favourites all of which I have made for omnis who have loved them too!

Polenta Rancheros - vb
Mango Baked Beans - afr
Quinoa Salad with Black Beans & Mango - vcon
Chickpea-noodle soup - vcon
Sushi Roll edamame salad - afr
Cool Slaw - afr
tofu scramble - vwav
Punk Rock Chick pea gravy - vwav

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I love a lot of the Vcon favourites already mentioned too (like lemony potatoes, tamarind lentils, and cashew-pineapple-quinoa stir-fry) but I have to add one I haven't seen mentioned yet: curry noodles!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My favourites:

Chickpea piccata - AFR
Ancho tacos - IDI
Jerk Sloppy Joes - IDI
Mango BBQ Beans - AFR
Red Lentil and Root Veggie Dal - AFR
Tamarind lentils - VCON

I also urge you to look into vegansprout.com. People rate each recipe individually. I encourage you to add you own recipe feedback, too, as you try each recipe (it helps to keep it organized in one place). It helps to weed out the yucky vegan from the fabulous vegan recipes/products:

http://vegansprout.com/browse/cookbooks ... r_author=6
(for all of Isa's cookbooks)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:53 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

saveur wrote:
I also urge you to look into vegansprout.com. People rate each recipe individually. I encourage you to add you own recipe feedback, too, as you try each recipe (it helps to keep it organized in one place). It helps to weed out the yucky vegan from the fabulous vegan recipes/products:

http://vegansprout.com/browse/cookbooks ... r_author=6
(for all of Isa's cookbooks)

This is friggen cool! Thanks so much for the link!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Uhhh, pretty much all Isa recipes ever, but these are my top 5 that come to mind immediately:

chickpea cutlets (VCON)
tempeh nori rolls (VCON)
hottie blackeyed peas & greens (AFR)
pizza bowl (IDI)
chipotle sausage hash (IDI)

I know the Isa Does It recipes are new, but we tested and made them a bunch of times before the book was released, so I'm counting them!

Honorable mentions: Isa pizza and pancakes from VWAV, bakery style muffins from VB, and puffy pillow pancakes from IDI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Pumpkin baked ziti minus the bread crumbs (veganomicon)
chickpea noodle soup minus the mushrooms (veganomicon)
spicy fennel tempeh (a part of a recipe in veganomicon, I usually serve with the messy rice from v'con or in a hash with potatoes and other stuff)
cashew ricotta, on anything (veganomicon)
caesar salad (afr?)
nicoise salad, although I prefer the tuno with tempeh instead of chickpeas (AFR)
Arabian and Lentil rice soup (AFR)
all of vegan cupcakes and vegan cookies, but especially the marble cupcakes made into a bundt cake, w/o frosting (spot-on for my mother's non-vegan marble cake) and the mexican snickerdoodles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:13 pm 
***LIES!!!***

And the maple pecan pie from the blog (and maybe the pie book, but I don't own that one yet).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:51 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The recipes I keep coming back to are:

VBB - Italian feast sausages (I literally always have a batch in the freezer, otherwise my world is askew)
IDI - The pizza bowl (agree with creep - its new but hot damn. I've made this at least 3 times already and, I was NOT a tester)
IDI - lentil nachos with queso blanco (see pizza bowl above)
Vcon - chickpea cutlets
AFR - Nicoise salad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:25 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Going to go ahead and third (fourth and fifth) snobby joes. Huge hit in our household for both OmniBoyfriend and I. I dream about it at night sometimes. My mom (also an omnivore) saw the recipe online and has already requested I make some on our upcoming family vacation.

Quote:
So this may just be my husband, but I find that what I call things can really make a difference in whether he likes it. The first time I made the butternut alfredo he was very meh about it. His chief complaint was that it was not an alfredo. He thought it was ok, but maybe not a make again. So I waited a few months for him to forget about it and made it again, but called it "creamy butternut pasta" and lo and behold, he loves it. I think because he eats the original versions of things still, he is just pickier about vegan versions, but if he doesn't think of it as a vegan version of something else and just appreciates it for what it is, he loves it.

Ha! This exact story happened to me. I've used this approach with the red pepper mac and cheese from IDI ("roasted red pepper pasta") and other non-isa recipes.

Not really a recipe, but the other common rotation in our house is a conglomerate of the Asian marinated tofu and the baby bok choy recipe from V-con; In the evening, mix up the marinate and let tofu sit until the next day. Get rice going in the rice cooker/stove top. Chop up boc choy (or other greens) and shallots (or onions, as we usually use). Cook the tofu in a cast iron until it's to your liking, but save the marinade left over. Cook the bok choy and onions according to the recipe, but when it comes time to add the sauce ingredients, toss the marinade in instead. Serve it all together in one big bowl. The marinade is Awesome and the whole thing takes less than 30min start to finish.

(i totally understand what you mean #IsaFanGirls !)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:17 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

sheepgomoo wrote:
Going to go ahead and third (fourth and fifth) snobby joes. Huge hit in our household for both OmniBoyfriend and I. I dream about it at night sometimes. My mom (also an omnivore) saw the recipe online and has already requested I make some on our upcoming family vacation.

Quote:
So this may just be my husband, but I find that what I call things can really make a difference in whether he likes it. The first time I made the butternut alfredo he was very meh about it. His chief complaint was that it was not an alfredo. He thought it was ok, but maybe not a make again. So I waited a few months for him to forget about it and made it again, but called it "creamy butternut pasta" and lo and behold, he loves it. I think because he eats the original versions of things still, he is just pickier about vegan versions, but if he doesn't think of it as a vegan version of something else and just appreciates it for what it is, he loves it.

Ha! This exact story happened to me. I've used this approach with the red pepper mac and cheese from IDI ("roasted red pepper pasta") and other non-isa recipes.

Not really a recipe, but the other common rotation in our house is a conglomerate of the Asian marinated tofu and the baby bok choy recipe from V-con; In the evening, mix up the marinate and let tofu sit until the next day. Get rice going in the rice cooker/stove top. Chop up boc choy (or other greens) and shallots (or onions, as we usually use). Cook the tofu in a cast iron until it's to your liking, but save the marinade left over. Cook the bok choy and onions according to the recipe, but when it comes time to add the sauce ingredients, toss the marinade in instead. Serve it all together in one big bowl. The marinade is Awesome and the whole thing takes less than 30min start to finish.

(i totally understand what you mean #IsaFanGirls !)

Oh man, I am so going to make that. The Asian tofu is my all-time favourite tofu in life.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Cholent! (Veganomicon)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:23 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

sheepgomoo wrote:

That sounds pretty forking awesome!

Will have to try!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:51 am 
Saggy Butt

This list may get a bit long but here goes.

Pumpkin muffins - VWAV
Fronch toast - VWAV,
Tamarind lentils - Vcon
Pumpkin baked ziti - Vcon
Lemon coconut bundt cake - Vcon
Banana date scones - Vcon
Puttanesca scramble - VB
Chelsea waffles - VB
Vidalia onion quiche - VB
Tofu Benny - VB
Cinnamon rolls - VB
Smokey split pea soup - AFR
Arabian Lentil and Rice soup - AFR
Veggie pot pie stew - AFR
Sweet potato drop biscuits - AFR
Cheddary broccoli soup - IDI
Bistro beet burgers - IDI
Nirvana enchilada casserole - IDI
Queso Blanco bowl - IDI
Rosemary chocolate chip cookies - IDI
Chocolate zucchini bundt cake - IDI

My husband is vegetarian and pretty much eats whatever I make. So I have it somewhat easy in that regard. But I do notice sometimes that he is very critical of recipes that try to replicate something non-vegan. Like when I recently made Isa's glam chowder. I was super excited about it and he was like, "it doesn't taste like clam chowder".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:33 pm 
ol' garly cooch

I don't know why I waited so long, but just had cashew queso. OMG.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:07 pm 
Chip Strong

Some of my favourites are:

Chickpea piccata and Caulipots (both from AfR)
Mac 'n' shews (from the blog)
Ancho lentil soup with grilled pineapple (from the blog)
Chickpea noodle soup (from V'con)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:33 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

This is leaving a ton of stuff out but off the top of my head:

Isa Pizza
Caramel macadamia blondies VwaV
My fave tofu scramble is in VwaV
I always use her roasted potatoes recipe, too (VwaV) for brunch and to serve with scrambles.
Mango BBQ beans
There's an incredible breakfast item in VCOn that's like a tofu benedict that you pour tahini sauce over and it has dill in it and an english muffin and maybe served with homefries. Man, I need to make that again. Delcious, distant memories.
Hot glazed tempeh VCON and the Kasha cremini mushrooms dill side dish from AFR.
Tempeh rotelle pasta from VCON
LEMON BARS - ZOMG VCON
Orange glazed scones - VwaV
Pumpkin muffins
I love those cranberry orange pecan muffins from Vegan Brunch
Lemon Pepper tofu from VB (I know it's super simple but that's a very versatile recipe for salads, sammiches, etc).
Tons of stuff left out just not coming to mind. I love her version of Nicoise (I'm a nicoise salad fiend)
Happy little surprise salads like the bulgur one in VCON.

I love Isa forever mostly for Lemon bars and Isa Pizza. I mean, that's all she ever had to do for me chef-wise but she's done SO MUCH MORE on top of it...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:49 am 
Saggy Butt

Eat chickpea cutlets. Eat all the chickpea cutlets. Isa kindly offers a double batch recipe right on the blog!

I also love queso bowls (IDI), black bean burgers (V'con), seitanic jambalaya (V'con), meaty beany chili with corn muffins (IDI and blog), puffy pillow pancakes (IDI and blog), banana egg nog pancakes (blog), marble banana bread (IDI and blog), olive oil bread (. . . . IDI and blog), pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes (VCTOTW), chocolate cake (VCTOTW, blog, IDI. . . there's a reason she puts it EVERYWHERE!), quinoa caesar salad (IDI and blog), and I'm sure there's more I'm missing.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next