| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vitamix smoothies
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:32 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My husband and I got a vitamix for christmas! I'm pretty excited about it. Tell me what your favorite smoothies are to make in it, especially green smoothies! I feel overwhelmed by simply googling "green vitamix smoothie". My husband's smoothie method seems to be to throw EVERYTHING he can think of in at once and then blend and choke it down, I'm more interested in, you know, recipes to guide me. For the most part my smoothie repertoire to now has been the occasional strawberry/froz banana/oj/soy milk/peanut butter desert smoothie, and I can't wait to throw whole stalks of kale into that thing! I've requested superfood smoothies and vegan smoothies from the library, but I'd love to know what your personal favs are, and to be guided to any excellant recipes on the web. Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: vitamix smoothies
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

I always have a freezer full of bananas, precooked yam chunk, and kale (buy it when it is cheap) and whatever fruit I can buy cheap.

My usually smoothie is handful of kale, 1 banana, chunk of yam, 1/2 cup of whatever legume I have in the fridge (you don't taste the beans but it adds protein), some chunks of ginger, 1 T of soya milk powder, 1 T ground Flax and water. This is really creamy and kinda like a milkshake. 1T of peanut butter and or 1t of Coconut oil if I am having it as a post workout meal and need the extra fats.

I am allergic to most fruits but I sometimes thrown in a 1/2 frozen apple/peach/pear and they all go well. When I feel like it I also put in a T of cocoa to make it chocolatey.

Go crazy and enjoy your Vitamix.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:58 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

My favorite is roasted butternut squash with pumpkin pie spices. It sounds weird but it's good. I usually roast a squash a whole, scoop it out with an ice cream scoop, and freeze it on a baking sheet. Once the scoops are frozen, you can put them into a Ziploc bag.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm allergic to bananas - but my vitamix totally saves the day!

My standard smoothie
- Steel-cut oats (put these in a dry container and blend into a flour, then dump back out into a bowl and mix them back into the liquid ingredients before adding the fruit and veg)
- Water/coconut water
- Almond milk
- Agave
- Spinach (frozen)
- Mixed berries or Cherries (frozen)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:04 pm 
Tofu Pup

I fill the blender halfway with kale or spinach, add a frozen banana and some frozen peach or mango, a heaping tablespoon of coconut oil, then I pour in some almond milk and blend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Get the book 365 Vegan Smoothies! It's a fabulous book, full of delicious recipes. Some are so simple that I feel dumb for not having thought of it myself, but many are ingenious combinations Id never have tried, ever. There is a thread somewhere here.

My favorites are the macadamia nut and carrot cake.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I second 365 Vegan Smoothies! The great thing about Vitamix is that it actually blends stuff like kale, so it's not chunky. Other blenders may work too, but before my vitamix i used a food processor and it was a little gross.
Here is the blog of the author of 365 Vegan Smoothies:
http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/
There are some smoothie recipes there to get you started.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:41 am 

lavawitch wrote:
Get the book 365 Vegan Smoothies! It's a fabulous book, full of delicious recipes. Some are so simple that I feel dumb for not having thought of it myself, but many are ingenious combinations Id never have tried, ever. There is a thread somewhere here.

My favorites are the macadamia nut and carrot cake.

That's how I feel with smoothies! I feel silly about needing a book of smoothie recipes, but I just can't come up with good combos with the right proportions of things myself. I'm glad to know you guys like it! I was trying to behave by getting it out of the library to test it out rather than just buying it sight unseen, but I have a feeling I will be buying it ASAP. I did make one the other morning with grapefruit, agave and then frozen mango, blueberries & banana that was pretty successful & just thrown together.

My husband made a mango/spinach/apple/oj smoothie this morning (with something added in, hemp powder maybe? I'm not sure) and I'm enjoying it. He made a full on mega kale, celery, apple, cucumber and lemon one the other morning that was just too aggressive for me - I need to build up to that slowly. I think also he needs a guide for how much of what to add. He just throws a bunch of stuff in with no regard to proportions and is then sad when it doesn't turn out great.

What are everyone's favorite add ins? Especially vegan supplement powders and the like? I remember Isa included one kind of the ppk 100 list either last year or the year before & I need to re-look that up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 am 

annabazoo wrote:
I second 365 Vegan Smoothies! The great thing about Vitamix is that it actually blends stuff like kale, so it's not chunky. Other blenders may work too, but before my vitamix i used a food processor and it was a little gross.
Here is the blog of the author of 365 Vegan Smoothies:
http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/
There are some smoothie recipes there to get you started.

I forgot to add! Thanks so much for directing me to her website. I'm already excited to try the golden wellness smoothie she listed recently!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've tried protein powders, greens powders, etc. I pretty much just throw in a scoop of coconut water powder and maybe some flax and that's it. I felt that personally I felt worse when I was putting all those extras in vs keeping it simple.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

This may be a thread hijack and, if so, please ignore. I'm wondering if anyone has tips on getting their vitamix smoothies to the perfect consistency. I find that I either under or over-blend them.

P.S. I just got 365 Vegan Smoothies and it definitely has lots of interesting combos I wouldn't have come up with on my own. I definitely wouldn't have thought to throw oats or nuts into my smoothies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I like frosty smoothies, so I add a boatload of ice. I usually stop and stir a couple times. It helps to make sure your bananas are a uniform size. 1-2" pieces work well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

What is the definition of over blending? If it gets warm?

If it's the smoothie getting warm before it's all... smooth... use more frozen ingredients. I blend until the smoothie has a uniform, almost glossy appearance and it's still plenty cold.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If you find the super-veggie smoothies too intense, try adding a little sweetener like agave or maple syrup, or use a strong fruit juice as your liquid. When i first started making green smoothies i found that adding just a tablespoon of sweetener made a huge difference. Once i got more used to them, i realize i did not need the extra sweetness.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Nicole wrote:

If it's the smoothie getting warm before it's all... smooth... use more frozen ingredients. I blend until the smoothie has a uniform, almost glossy appearance and it's still plenty cold.

Yup. By over-blended, I meant melted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm excited for you... Congratulations on your Vitamix!
I love green smoothies:
Greens + a couple different kinds of fruit + some water.
I throw in some ice cubes halfway through and toward the end so it stays cold. I love kale (remove the thick stems first). Adding banana offsets any bitterness. You can add some dates if you really like sweet. I usually use at least a half bunch of kale. Handfuls of spinach is good, too.
I'm not a big supplement fan. Sometimes I'll add raw hemp seeds or coconut oil.
Good luck... Have fun with your new Vitamix!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:08 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

bcakes wrote:
Nicole wrote:

Yup. By over-blended, I meant melted.

Gotcha. Another thought would be to try adding a little more (cold!) liquid to see if that helps it get to the consistency and temp you're looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:15 am 
Saggy Butt

My favorite is pineapple/mango/kale: 1/3 to 1/2 of the pineapple depending on size, some frozen mango cubes, and stuff in as much kale as will fit (I worked up to that though). Doesn't need any extra liquid. Sometimes I add flax or chia seeds.