| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THEMED COOKBOOK CHALLENGE Weeks 9&10 - Healthier Eating
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is the official discussion thread for weeks 9 & 10 of the themed cookbook challenge. If you are new to the discussion forums, there is no need to sign-up, and you can participate as much or as little as you want, there aren't really any "rules." Usually, but not always, people choose dinner as the meal for the challenge, but of course you can do breakfast or lunch or dessert!

A themed cookbook challenge saves you $ and the agonizing time to wait for an inter-library book loan to arrive! You can use recipes from ANY vegan/vegan-friendly cookbook, magazine, blog as long as it fits in with the theme. Just be sure to share the source with us -- the cookbook's title, recipe name, and possibly the page number since not all cookbooks have a well-organized table of contents or index. Do not share the recipe unless you have permission from the author as the recipes are copyrighted.

Thanks to all who voted! Below are the 6 chosen themes determined by popular vote and the dates for each two-week challenge period.

weeks 1 & 2: Sunday Nov 10 - Saturday Nov 23: Quick & easy for weeknight cooking
weeks 3 & 4: Sunday Nov 24 - Saturday Dec 7: Barely used cookbook
weeks 5 & 6: Sunday Dec 8 - Saturday Dec 21: World Cuisine
weeks 7 & 8: Sunday Dec 22 - Saturday Jan 4: "New" to your bookshelf cookbooks
weeks 9 & 10: Sunday Jan 5 - Saturday Jan 18: Healthier Eating
weeks 11 & 12: Sunday Jan 19 - Saturday Feb 1: Your first vegan cookbook

*If you personally decide to change up the order of the themed cookbook challenge weeks, please wait until the appropriate discussion thread is posted to share your food photos + comments**

Food photos: Photos of your food is always nice but not necessarily. If you are new to forums, the PPK does not do photo hosting, i.e. you cannot just "attach" or upload your photo with your comment post. You will need upload your photos elsewhere (i.e. flickr, photobucket, your blog) and copy the photo's image link (easily done by right clicking your mouse on the picture and choosing "copy image URL." Then come back here and click the "img" button and paste the image URL between the codes. For this to work properly, make sure there are no funny letters or numbers AFTER the *.jpg extension. If you need more instruction than that please read this helpful post by brian http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=886

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: THEMED COOKBOOK CHALLENGE Weeks 9&10 - Healthier Eating
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:42 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I have Gweneth Paltrow's book from the library - going to be making stuff like dressing from there. Also got the new HH cookbook for xmas....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:43 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm thinking of sticking with Let Them Eat Vegan for this challenge. I really enjoyed how simple the recipes are in the last challenge and since most of the recipes are on the healthier side I may as well keep going with it!

My other option is AFR but that book is well used to being used.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:40 am 
Saggy Butt

Maybe it's time to dust off my Forks Over Knives, China Study, and Get Healthy Go Vegan. I also have AFR, but since I actually use that one, I might give the others a chance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:40 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

For the next few weeks I am cooking from the new HH book, Light & Lean.
So far I have made:

Everyday mushroom gravy page 189 - Really good
Cheese ball page 200 - nice but could have done with more nooch
Pizza burgers page 73
Smoky apple baked beans page 172 - very sweet but tasty

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the fragrant red kidney bean dahl for dinner today served with some basmati. When I was preparing I couldn't find mustard seeds so subbed mustard powder. As soon as I had it on I found my mustard seeds. I didn't use the orange juice, just used more water. I added the hot sauce too. It was mild tasting. It probably could have done with more seasoning but I actually did enjoy the milder taste for a change. I'm nice and full after it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

This theme is perfectly timed. I will be doing 365 Vegan Smoothies and Appetite for Reduction. I bought a bunch of smoothie stuff, so I won't be pre-planning the smoothies. This morning, I made the apple pie one and, while it was tasty, I thought it was too banana-y. I bought my son a sippy cup with a big straw so that he could share my smoothies and he was delighted that he got to have the same as Mommy.

My meal from AFR will be the blackened tofu with the butternut coconut rice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

My friend decided to go raw for 21-day so I made the following for her potluck:

1. Parsnip sushi from Balanced Raw
-very nice! I forgot to make the tamarind dipping sauce, though

2. Cauliflower sushi nigiri from Raw Essence
-omg so cute!!
-I was impressed that it all stuck together so well
-a fit fiddly so I ended up making rolls eventually

Also made this week:
1. Lucuma macadamia smoothie from Superfood Smoothies
-excellent
recipe and photo here:
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2014/01 ... -giveaway/

2. Blueberry macqui smoothie from Superfood Smoothies
-again, very good. Subbed acai for the macqui powder. Loving the blueberries in smoothies lately

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've not joined in a cooking challenge yet but as I'm trying to get back to more healthy eating & I've challenged myself to make 50 new recipes this year it seemed like a perfect time!

Appetite For Reduction: (I love this book & many of AFR recipes are ones I make regularly. These are all new recipes to me.)
I made Caulipots pg54: I can't believe it's taken me so long to make caulipots! Definitely making again.
Forty-Clove Chickpeas & Broccoli pg 125: I think my broccoli caught a little for my liking but I will make this again.
Mushroom & Cannellini Paprikas pg 127: This is the first thing I've made from AFR that I haven't liked that much. It was much better when I added kale & Caulipots but I'm not sure I would make this again . If I do I will probably use less paprika.

Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. (New book for Xmas)
Simple Swiss Chard pg 166: I subbed Kale (Dreena suggests this as a sub) for the chard. It was simple & the most delicious way I've eaten kale. Loved it!
Orange Sesame Tofu pg 136: OMG! This was delicious. I love it. I ate it with the simple kale & caulipots for lunch & it was so tasty. Definitely making this combo again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:33 pm 

daisychain wrote:
I made the fragrant red kidney bean dahl for dinner today served with some basmati. When I was preparing I couldn't find mustard seeds so subbed mustard powder. As soon as I had it on I found my mustard seeds. I didn't use the orange juice, just used more water. I added the hot sauce too. It was mild tasting. It probably could have done with more seasoning but I actually did enjoy the milder taste for a change. I'm nice and full after it.

I love this dhal. It is worth using the orange juice it you have some to hand. I was very unsure about adding it the first time I made it but I liked it. I usually make it with black beans instead of kidney beans & always add a bit more garlic too. I find the flavour improves after a day or two in the fridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I didn't have any orange juice to hand and was just too broke to buy a carton especially for it! Next time I will do it with the oj though. It definitely tasted better today. It made a great lunch with some rice. Kept me going until I got home.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i made the ranch dressing in Big Book of Vegan Recipes - using light vegan mayo & replacing the chives with dried dill, the soy milk for almond milk. it saved a few calories + it uses what i have on hand.

also i made a variation of the buffalo tempeh in IDI - using tofu instead of tempeh and using power greens and beefsteak tomatoes as a base instead of making it into a sandwich. i did serve sourdough on the side though! mmmm! the IDI recipe is great - it does not call for a bunch of EB, just hot sauce, soy sauce and liquid smoke! lighter and fried nicely!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:58 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I ordered AFR from the library especially for this portion of the challenge. Tonight I made the Bistro Broccoli Chowder. How is it so good? I just want to swim in a pool of it! I'm glad I made a double batch so I would have some to freeze for later, some to eat tomorrow for lunch, and some to give to my elderly next door neighbor who lives alone. And I will give some to my neighbor, but it's so good it kind of hurts to part with any!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Star wrote:
For the next few weeks I am cooking from the new HH book, Light & Lean.
So far I have made:

Everyday mushroom gravy page 189 - Really good
Cheese ball page 200 - nice but could have done with more nooch
Pizza burgers page 73
Smoky apple baked beans page 172 - very sweet but tasty

The baked beans were not great. They were nice but too sweet, it may be that I had to use standard apple sauce instead of unsweetened (although I did reduce the molssdes to try and reduce the sweetness). I've only eaten a quarter of it and I won't be eating the rest. Instead I will make Chloe's Kitchen broccoli cheese soup.

The pizza burgers were pretty good though

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been telling myself I don't need any new cookbooks but everyone keeps raving about AFR!

We already eat pretty healthy around here, but I may poke around the healthy cookies section of VCIYCJ and do some baking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

AFR is well worth the money. It is my most well used book EVER.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bcakes wrote:
This theme is perfectly timed. I will be doing 365 Vegan Smoothies and Appetite for Reduction. I bought a bunch of smoothie stuff, so I won't be pre-planning the smoothies. This morning, I made the apple pie one and, while it was tasty, I thought it was too banana-y. I bought my son a sippy cup with a big straw so that he could share my smoothies and he was delighted that he got to have the same as Mommy.

My meal from AFR will be the blackened tofu with the butternut coconut rice.

I made the butternut coconut rice for the first time this week and had that "why did I wait so long" reaction. So good. And my pre-roasted, individual sized portions of butternut squash in the freezer meant this meal came together in a snap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:54 pm 

ScandinaVegan wrote:
I've been telling myself I don't need any new cookbooks but everyone keeps raving about AFR!

We already eat pretty healthy around here, but I may poke around the healthy cookies section of VCIYCJ and do some baking.

You definitely NEED AFR! It's definitely in my top 5 cookbooks! It may even be my favourite.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

I had my AFR night last night. I really like the butternut coconut rice. It made a ton though, so I would half the recipe next time. There's no way my husband and I will eat that much rice before it goes bad. (My son liked squishing the rice between his fingers, but I don't think any made it into his mouth). I thought the blackened tofu was okay, but not great. I like the recipe in Vegan Soul Kitchen much better, so I will stick to that one in the future. (My son loved the tofu. He ate a slab of it and then enjoyed throwing a second slab to the dog bit by bit). We also had some kale for extra veggies. The whole meal went really well together.

I'm going to do more AFR next week. I'm definitely going to do the Tempeh Helper, which I've made before and know will be a hit. In the spirit of the challenge, I will also pick out something new to me. Suggestions are welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:12 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

AFR Smokey Split Pea Soup tonight: quick and easy to make, tasty, and filling. But I think I like the v'con split pea soup a bit more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

Today I made the Carrot Cake smoothie from 365 Vegan Smoothies. I has carrots, soy milk, walnuts, banana, pineapple, maple syrup and cinnamon. I really enjoyed this one. It had a mild flavor, but really pleasant and definitely reminiscent of carrot cake. I've never had veggies in a smoothie before and carrots were a good gateway veggie. Next week, I will try to be brave enough for kale or beets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:06 am 
Saggy Butt

Tonight I made the red beans and rice from Get Healthy Go Vegan, by Neal Barnard. It was really bland. I tasted it while it was cooking, though, so I knew that was coming. I added some liquid smoke, and fried up some Tofurkey kielbasa and threw that in. Then I served it with pickled red onion and lots of Franks.

It ended up being a rather good meal that I am going to enjoy eating for 4 more days, but it illustrates perfectly the reason that "healthy" cookbook recipes need to taste good as-is. If they don't, I will fry something up and make it about as healthy as a trip to McDonalds!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Beet smoothies are delicious, especially with ginger! Plus you can look like a vegan vampire.

I always think the recipe sections in the back of Dr. Barnard's books look super-boring, too. I think I learned how to scramble tofu from one, lo these many years ago, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:29 am 
Saggy Butt

I want to look like a vegan vampire!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:44 am 

I always make Vegan Brunch Scrambled tofu SO I decided to make Scrambled Tofu from Vegan With a Vengeance pg 20. I cut out the oil & used 1 cal spray to cut the calories down as I'm trying to loose 6 kg at the moment but it was still very tasty. I ate it with an onion bagel & tomato ketchup. Yum.
I like it a lot! Perfect after a lovely, sunny, winter, beach run.