| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jalapeno hand!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:43 pm 
Hip Goiter

I cut several jalapenos tonight as I often do but I guess the cold has dried up my skin and made it more cracked and open for jalapeno fire and juice to seep in deep and OH MY GOD MY HANDS ARE ON FIRE. I have to peck-type because the worst hand is sitting in creamer. I googled it and it said to try mustard. That didn't help. Then it said shampoo. I used 3 different kinds but no luck. Then it said milk. i don't have milk in the house! But my dad was going to Dunkin Donuts so he brought a bunch of mini creams and I used them. That helps but only when my hand is in it. 2 hours later and it still burns when I take it out of the cream. This HAS to have happened to some of you, right? Helppppp! I was supposed to take the Jeopardy online test but I couldn't type the answers fast enough with one finger. So sad!

Laughfrodisiac

Post subject: Re: Jalapeno hand!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:48 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Aloe vera?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:53 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i think capsaicin is carried in an oil, so maybe something that would cut an oil, like dish soap? the internet recommends rubbing alcohol, but if your skin is broken that sounds like more pain than it's worth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have had this happen to me, unfortunately. If you have washed your hands this thoroughly, then you have likely gotten all of the oils off already. The pain is now caused by the skin and nerve damage that happened while the oils were still there. Much like if you burn yourself with fire, taking the fire away stops new damage from occurring, but where you burned yourself still hurts.

I recommend taking some pain killers and going to bed. The good news is that even when I got really badly burned with peppers, I felt better the next day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Any oil should work! But any capsaicin that's already absorbed into your skin will be hard to remove :(

Massage some oil on your hands, then wash with soap, apply aloe and a cool compress to dull the pain. Good luck!!!

I think I'm a freak because last time this happened to me i really liked the burning. Probably not as severe as yours though!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

Yikes. Sorry RJM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Holy crepe, jalapeno hand is THE WORST. I'm so sorry. I had it happen once and I will never chop jalapenos without gloves again. Unfortunately none of the tips I found online helped - oil, vinegar, whatever. It would help for a few seconds but as soon as I washed it off the burning came back. DEG is right - I'd take some advil and try to sleep. It's not much consolation now, but it should feel better in the morning.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

I feel for you! I had this the other night and although I scoured the internet, it seems that nothing works much after the oils are absorbed.

Next time I will immediately clean my hands with vegetable oil and then a good detergent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

So once I was cleaning a bunch of peppers to make chili paste to freeze. I made a LOT of it-- like 2 pounds of dried peppers worth (that's a lot!). I watched a movie while cleaning peppers while wearing gloves. It went pretty well until I got an itch near my eye. I attempted to scratch it by rubbing with my upper arm-- very far from the actual peppers! It didn't help much, but, well, my eye started to feel kind of burny and five minutes later I'd given up and was just taking a shower with a lot of soap.

So yeah, I feel your pain. It's pretty unpleasant. (The chili paste was good though.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:04 pm 
Hip Goiter

Thank you guys so much for the responses! So, I think it depends on how deeply the oils are absorbed. It didn't even hit me until a good 30-45 minutes after I cut them, so I think the oils were way too deep for regular treatments to work. Here are things to try and not to try:

things that did not work:
- Mustard
- Shampoo (3 varieties)
- my mom's Pantene conditioner
- tomato sauce
- rubbing it on my hair (thanks, chowhound.com)
- water that was not cold (anything even sort of lukewarm made my hands throb)
- soap & water, detergent & water - didn't help the pain but i think necessary to clean it out

Things that helped:
- benadryl and painkillers together
- cold water rinses (not soaks)
- cool milk soaks(probably any milk would work)
- oils only after the heavy burn stopped
- tears of babes

omg. Are there such things as chopping gloves? Regular kitchen rubber gloves are too cumbersome.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

There's those thin latex (or latex-free) surgical-type gloves. That's what I've used before.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Um yeah, I feel your pain. This happened to me a couple weeks ago when my hands were at their worst dryness. I have no solutions for you though. I think what helped me most was just keeping it in cool water a while.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ooof, poor thing!

I've had that happen before and only chop peppers with those disposable latex gloves now. Even poblanos make my skin miserable so I am constantly vigilant! I hate that I have to throw them away after each use but there's no way I am having devil fire hands like that again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:10 am 
WELFARIST!

Oh, man, I had jalapeno hand really bad once in the early nineties. It might have been the first time I ever handled jalapenos so I didn't know the precautions but anyhoo, I had taken my migraine medication which I was prescribed at the time that, while it knocked out the headache, seemed to make the nerve endings elsewhere on my body extra sensitive, so throw a newbie jalapeno-mincer making chili in the mix and owza! I remember contemplating going to the ER because my hand pain was so bad but I dint but then whenever I handled jalapenos after that, I put gloves over my hands, which was awkward and I don't know, maybe the body gets used to it because I can mince jalapenos to my heart's content these days bare-handed and they don't bother me at all. Sometimes the fumes burn my eyes a bit though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I chopped a bunch of really hot peppers when I first started cooking and didn't know any better, even scraped the seeds out with my bare hands. THE PAIN. I went to sleep holding a bag of ice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

omg my hands hurt just reading this.
i cut a bunch of jalapenos from our garden once for poppers and i think the ones you grow yourself are even stronger than store bought ones and my fingertips right where the fingernail begins/ends burned for days.

uggggghhhhh :-(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

since that incident i have taken to chopping peppers using the bag from the produce dept you bring it home in as a "glove"
not the easiest thing to do but i get nervous about getting the oil abd seeds on my fingers and then touching the baby or my eye or something.

i wonder if something you would use to treat a burn would help since i think that is kind of basically what you did to yourself.
aloe?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
aloe?

It makes it feel better, but it doesn't make it go away. My really bad burn lasted for a few days and felt worse when I washed my hands... chemical reaction with the soap? I don't know. It sucked.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:54 am 
Saggy Butt

noooo i just got this on my face/tongue from a really spicy burrito. whhhhyyy. it hurt so much i was panting a bit. usually i order it with guac, which cuts the heat, but we used some iphone take out app that didn't differentiate between the vegan/not vegan guac that our burrito place has, so i just went sans guac.

for me it subsides after a half hour or so, but in the past i've had good luck using detergent to remove the oils.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:08 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

LisaPunk wrote:
i wonder if something you would use to treat a burn would help since i think that is kind of basically what you did to yourself.

Nopers, chili burn is because of a chemical reaction to capsaicin, falsely triggering your nerves of a burn, there's no actual damage to your tissues.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:04 pm 
Hip Goiter

Mars wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

Nopers, chili burn is because of a chemical reaction to capsaicin, falsely triggering your nerves of a burn, there's no actual damage to your tissues.

Yeah, I actually had some hospital-gifted Silvadene cream on hand (back from when I actually boiled skin off THE SAME HAND last year...I do not have good left-hand-burn-luck) and it didn't do shiitake.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

After several jalapeno eye incidents (forgetting that I chopped jalapenos 4 hours ago, scratching near my eye), I'm now a regular glove-wearer. Like others have said, just get one of those boxes of cheap latex gloves. They're thin enough that you retain control without getting in your way. Thankfully, I've never had the hand burning experience, but this thread has now reconfirmed the glove usage!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:08 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Ugh, I didn't have gloves and had like 12 jalapenos to dice. I thought I would be tough and do it glove-less. Now I too suffer from jalapeno hand!! I was scouring this thread for a solution but alas, it sounds like I'm just going to have to suffer it out.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:36 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

OMFG this sounds dreadful! I'm glad some of the things are working to make it less ouchy.

Also, I have never been so glad to be allergic to chilli, this is probably the one and only ridiculous kitchen accident that'll never happen to me!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

This happens to me too! Now i wear gloves every time i handle hot peppers. When i get pepper burn, i wash it really well with soap. Then i leave my hand in cold water. Nothing else has really helped. It usually doesn't hurt the next morning.