| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sandwiches without cheese
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:21 am 
Huffs Nooch

Hi, new here..

There is nothing more familiar and easy to me than making a quick sandwich for lunch: fake meat, cheese, mayo, pepper. Recently this became some yves deli slices, daiya slices, and earth balance mayo. Everything but the bread is an expensive "mock".. it just seems weird. I found some recipes for seitan lunch meat to make cheaper at home, so I think I will be doing that.. but I thought I'd make a post to see what quick and easy things other people put on their sandwiches besides fake cheese? Just load it up with veggies? A good spread? I guess if I'm making my own lunch slices I can really load the sandwich up with it to bulk it up more without the fake cheese. Yves/tofurky/light life slices are so expensive I feel bad putting more than 3 slices on there.

Post subject: Re: Sandwiches without cheese
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:23 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Hummus or white bean spread
Olive tapenade
Avocado
I'm sure other people will have a ton more ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:58 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I like wraps with couscous or quinoa, chickpeas, arugula, carrots and a tasty dressing. Or baked falafel from Appetite for reduction stuffed into a pita with some hummus.

The ppk blog has some good sandwich recipes. The red pepper scallion spread is amazing.

Roasted mushrooms with avocado, red pepper, and vegenaise.

If you have Costco access, Boca burgers work out about $1/each. Or make black bean burgers.

Hummus can get boring, but different varieties help keep it fresh. White bean and thyme. Black bean and orange, roasted red pepper, basil, sun dried tomato.

If you have Isa Does It, the chicky salad is the best I've tried. It uses chopped up sunflower seeds to add a lot of texture. You don't need anything with that except some red onion and greens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:10 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Also, if you have room in your budget, check out the book "Vegan Sandwiches Save The Day," - it's full of so many exciting and unexpected sandwich ideas!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:34 am 
Discovered unobtainium

This is a different chick salad recipe, but it's still a great one. And easy!

http://www.theppk.com/2013/07/chickpea-salad-sammiches/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:00 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

ameyfm wrote:
Also, if you have room in your budget, check out the book "Vegan Sandwiches Save The Day," - it's full of so many exciting and unexpected sandwich ideas!!!

Seconded! It doesn't rely on store bought mock meats or cheeses, so this may be just what you're looking for. There are lots of fun fillings, spreads, and toppings that you probably wouldn't think of on your own!

When I'm not sandwiching out with that book, my go to creamy toppers (to replace cheese or mayo) are varieties of hummus or avocado, like has already been suggested.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:04 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Another vote for hummus. Usually my packed lunches are just leftovers of whatever dinner was the night before, but packing a sandwich is like a special treat for me. So I usually do bread, a few tofurky slices, and then roasted red pepper hummus. A bit of spinach is nice on there, too. Making your own lunch meat is a great money saver. Also, baked tofu is excellent in sandwiches, or tempeh bacon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Make the chili cornmeal tofu in Vcon, slam it on some bread with tomato slices and veganaise and you've got a sammichy winner.

I'm also a big fan of hummus sammiches. Especially with lettuce or spinach and tomato. Or, if I magically have them available to me, alfalfa sprouts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:09 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I just made this sandwich recently and it is one of my all time fave things ever. The hemp pesto would be good, just on it's own, as a sandwich base. Supremely delish!

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/04/ultima ... -sandwich/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I will third Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day because it is such a great and inspiring book! One of my favorite go to sandwiches is a tofu, chickpea, or tempeh salad sandwich or wrap, there are many recipes out there that are filling and delicious. I like to top mine with lettuce and tomatoes plus I usually put veggies in the actual salad part. Baked tofu sandwiches are also easy and delicious and there are so many ways that you can flavor the marinade to give you more variety. Tempeh Lettuce and Tomato (TLT) sandwiches are great too if you are a fan of tempeh bacon, no cheese necessary!

I hope this gives you some ideas! Really check out VSSTD, it's such a fantastic book!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:03 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I will check out that book. I'm getting Isa Does It once some Christmas returns come back in the form of amazon gift cards, so I think I'll add the VSSTD book in as well.

I'm not usually a big fan of bean spreads or really even hummus (gasp), but the chickpea salad looks pretty good. I think part of what would make it easier is to prepare things like that ahead of time. My favorite thing about the old reliable meat cheese mayo sandwich is that I can just slap it all together in about 30 seconds with no prior preparation and run out the door. If I'm already going to be making the seitan lunch slices though I'll be more likely to put together some of these other spreads to have them already there.

I'm really glad I found this site, I've been loving seitan (especially Upton's bacon) from the store and there are a lot more possibilities making it myself with some of the recipes here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:41 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

If you make a protein like seitan or baked tofu slices ahead of time, you can easily put sandwiches together quickly. If I have baked tofu or something, I just shove it on some bread with lettuce, roasted red peppers, avocado, whatever I have. Once you get used to this, the old cold cut sandwiches will seem so boring.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

If you are specifically looking for tofurky/Yves sandwich ideas, I like to theme mine. So I might do the oven roasted tofurkey with mayo, cranberry sauce and spinach leaves for a thanksgiving spin. Or I might do a California style with avocado, olive tapenade and red onions and the hickory smoked slices. I actually also like tofurky with just good mustard, lettuce, tomato and onions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

BowToLordSeitan wrote:
My favorite thing about the old reliable meat cheese mayo sandwich is that I can just slap it all together in about 30 seconds with no prior preparation and run out the door.

It's too bad you don't like hummus because that is the standard go-to. Maybe you would like other versions like Isa's pizza hummus in Appetite for Reduction or a black bean or white bean version?

Peanut butter & Jelly is just as easy as meat & cheese, we make those when we don't feel like cooking sometimes. I like adding banana too.

Tofu scramble or marinated baked tofu or chickpea cutlets are super easy too if you prepare them in a batch and then just have them in the fridge.

Here's a pinterest board too of more ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:05 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Yeah PB&J is my other standard but I didn't mention it since it's already perfect just the way it is! I like putting bananas on, too.. and red onions, although a lot of people gag when I tell them that.

Pizza anything is great so maybe I'll like that pizza hummus! It's not that I hate hummus I just don't really like it enough to find a sandwich based on it to be very appealing.

Several people mentioning olive tapenade .. as much as I love olives I can't believe I haven't gotten into that before. I will definitely look into that. Some jarred red peppers (if i buy them fresh I almost never use even half before they go bad), have some washed lettuce and sprouts ready. Avocado is another good one, super easy to prepare and what I don't put on the sandwich I can just bring with me and eat on its own. Plus it's nice and creamy so it can kind of take the place of both the fake cheese and mayo on its own. Lots of good ideas here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:03 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I love veggie burgers and "meatloaf" slices on sandwiches (and other sort of "meaty" stuff like tempeh and tofu).
Can be any type, store bought or home made with all sorts of ingredients.
I love to add different toppings and condiments, even the most boring burger is tasty that way.
Off course burgers are usually eaten hot, but I like most of them cold too, store bought ones often can be eaten just as they are, homemade ones need to be cooked usually, but I always make extra and sometimes I eat the leftover stuff cold.
You can also freeze them uncooked by the way, this is a nice way to have something for a quick lunch.
Grilled vegetables, salads and spreads are nice on sandwiches too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Pbj + red onions sounds utterly horrifying. Worse even than a side dish of stewed celery or a green pepper smoothie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:17 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

that book never interested me at all because I couldn't see what could be so "new" in it, but you all are seriously tempting me!

I'm going to go check out the cookbook thread about it now...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

LazySmurf wrote:

You just made my day.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

You just made my day.

Not only am I starving now, I just wasted too much time on that page. This is why I haven't signed up for Pinterest, too much of a time suck. But boards like that make me want to.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Pesto!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:00 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

My go to sandwich is mashed avocado with salt, pepper, garlic powder and lemon juice mixed in, spread onto bread topped with tomato, onion, sprouts and sunflower seeds. Yum!

My mother always talks about how her mother LOVED onion and peanut butter sandwiches... Hmmm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

HOMEMADE CREAM CHEESE. You can make it with almonds as well, but then you should add a few tbsp. of olive oil.

Vegan egg salad is delicious as well. I make mine by mixing soy yogurt with a little curry powder and pepper. Cut a block of your favorite tofu into really small pieces and then mix with the soy yogurt. Taste with black salt. I like adding some raw onion and dill to mine!

Roasted veggies is a delicious option too. I usually make something like a hummus salad with roasted red peppers and some raw veggies, or pesto or tapenade with roasted zucchini and aubergine and some raw red onions.

Avocado and shriracha is a delicious combo too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ameyfm wrote:

I will vote for this as well. The Devilled Not Chickpea Sandwich is amazing and some of the seitan recipes are fantastic.

Also the Smokey Mountain Cheese from Vegan Diner is great.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:32 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

vvvvvvvvvvvvvegemite, duh