| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sandwiches without cheese
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:11 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I just use the method from Miyoko's first book and it only takes a couple of days.

Basically just press slabs of tofu to get rid of excess water, then coat with a miso mixture. She recommends (I think) sake or mirin and miso, or just plain miso. I add fresh garlic and liquid smoke. Let sit in the fridge for a couple of days and voila.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:47 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I don't have Miyoko's book yet, but I have made a lot of tofu misozuke from internet instructions. My advice is to change the paper towels way more than the instructions say to. I usually do it once a week at first and then maybe move to once every two weeks toward the end. If in doubt it is better to change them too often rather than not enough, because reducing the amount of moisture your tofu is sitting in helps to prevent mold. I have also been known to slice off the moldy bits and eat the rest. This is probably questionable, but cheese is really just controlled mold, so not all mold is deadly. However, I'm the only one who eats my tofu misozuke. I'd be much more cautious if feeding it to others.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:15 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've never made it (scared!), but I love love love tofu misozuke.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I just found Miyoko's Artisan Vegan Cheese as an ebook from my library.. I'm not finding misozuke in it though? Is it in a different book or under a different name?

Edit: Nevermind I found it, she just calls it Tofu Cheese in the first chapter on aged cheeses. She calls for white wine and mirin in the place of sake,, which I imagine would combine to a same effect as sake, submerges them in the marinade (rather than just spreading it on) and only gives it a week. I think I will try it that way instead of giving it two months and see how I like it!

I have some cashew's soaking to make her cream cheese tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:11 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Miyoko's method is wonderful. The higher your miso percentage the less time it takes (but can get hella salty).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

First try of the seitan lunchmeat.. it turned out pretty good and made probably a few weeks worth. It tastes a little bready but I see on some posts here that cooking in a slow cooker can help with that. Next time I think I will make a similar seasoned broth and try it that way. Once it's cold, thinly sliced, and in a sandwich it's not so noticeable.. certainly at least as good as the much more expensive tofurky slices!

I'm glad so many of you suggested tapenade,, it's so perfect. I was in a hurry today and couldn't really think out what flavors would go well together, so I just put a bunch on with the seitan and nothing else. I could just sit down and eat the whole jar of tapenade on its own.. it definitely made a great sandwich! The oil and flavors make it sub in for cheese very nicely. The only other thing I can think to add might be some onions/peppers, or more tapenade lol.

Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll cook up some Upton's seitan bacon (half for breakfast half to put on lunch) and have it with some avocado, tomatos, onion, and salt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:30 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My favourite for winter is called the Pickled Sandwich in this house, and is made out of produce I picked in summer. The reason why its great is that it has vegetables without having to have any actual fresh produce on hand in winter. Since I don't like wasting grocery money on things that don't even taste good picked out of season and unripe, I try to use sprouts instead of other fresh things that would go on a summer sandwich, and this way you can have it all on hand all month or whatever. If you don't like hummus, maybe keep a large batch of baked tofu ready so you can use it throughout the week to make the sandwich filling and have protein.

Usually contains:
avocado or hummus for cheese replacement *(i know you don't like hummus, maybe black bean spread?)
chopped olives
pickled cucumbers
pickled banana peppers
pickled jalepenos
sauerkraut
generous amount of sprouts (or any type of greens, but in winter its sprouts for me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:53 pm 
Huffs Nooch

That sounds like a good mix.. I have most of that around already now. I tend to keep lots of jarred/pickled stuff since fresh veggies tend to go bad so quick when I buy them. Someday I'll have a nice big garden to pick from instead.

The seitan bacon, avocado, tomato, salt sooo hit the spot (even with the winter cardboard tomatoes!).. so worth taking the couple minutes in the morning to cook the bacon up. After smelling it I had to have one for breakfast while I was at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:12 am 
Huffs Nooch

There are some good ideas in here. It makes me kind of sad to be reminded of how awesome avocado is in sandwiches. I developed an allergy to them in the last few months.

Anyway, I wanted to chime in with some of my favourite things to put in sandwiches. Some of them may be repeats of what other people already suggested, but I'll try to leave out the most conventional ingredients
.grilled zucchini slices
.grilled red pepper
.grilled pear slices
.sliced Tofurkey sausages
.raisins

Also, check out this fancy menu of PB and J sandwiches for inspiration.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

broseph wrote:

Um, YUM! They say they are vegan friendly but I don't see any options that are vegan except the boring ones. Do they have exciting vegan options? Is the challah vegan?!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:23 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

^I had a Spicy Thai there once. was tasty, but not $6 tasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

vijita wrote:
broseph wrote:

Um, YUM! They say they are vegan friendly but I don't see any options that are vegan except the boring ones. Do they have exciting vegan options? Is the challah vegan?!

The challah is not vegan. I think the vegan friendliness comes from an ability to sub in vegan breads and remove non-vegan fillings. I've never actually been there, though. But I do really want to make my own version of the Sun Up and the Spicy Thai.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:46 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

BowToLordSeitan wrote:
First try of the seitan lunchmeat.. it turned out pretty good and made probably a few weeks worth. It tastes a little bready but I see on some posts here that cooking in a slow cooker can help with that. Next time I think I will make a similar seasoned broth and try it that way.

Also try letting the dough rest overnight before cooking it. The gluten will relax and give a less bready more tender result.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:54 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

BowToLordSeitan wrote:
I'm glad so many of you suggested tapenade,, it's so perfect. I was in a hurry today and couldn't really think out what flavors would go well together, so I just put a bunch on with the seitan and nothing else. I could just sit down and eat the whole jar of tapenade on its own.. it definitely made a great sandwich! The oil and flavors make it sub in for cheese very nicely. The only other thing I can think to add might be some onions/peppers, or more tapenade lol.

If you like the idea of tapenade + onions/peppers you should look into muffaletta olive salad, which is basically tapenade with additional veggies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:55 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'll have to try letting some of the dough sit out next time. Now that I search that it does seem that a lot of people suggest letting it rest for awhile before cooking. I cooked it right after kneading

Muffaletta sounds right up my alley!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:52 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Muffaletta is.... the best ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the cornmeal crusted tofu from Veganomicon and topped it with AFR Cool Slaw and pickles. Of course a bunch of hot sauce. Such a great sandwich. I've made this numerous times and my family loves it. Its a bit of work, but nothing that takes hours to make.

This thread has really got me on a sandwich kick - I love it.