| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paleo entrees or proteins?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The place where I work is reeeaaalllllllllly into paleo. I cook foods to go into a grab-and-go type cold case. I went away for two months, came back and the mostly vegan offerings had turned to mostly paleo offerings. (!) I don't make anything non-vegan, and not everything has to be paleo, but I'm interested to see if I can do some hearty entrees that are vegan and paleo. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Paleo entrees or proteins?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:07 pm 
WRETCHED

Considering paleo isn't bean friendly, you'd might want to look at some nut based recipes, raw recipes might be your best influence. Although I'm not the biggest fan of raw, there are a few things I like including a faux tuna salad.
Something like this:
http://www.therawtarian.com/raw-tuna-salad-recipe

So basically you'd want to figure out things that contain nuts/seeds/non-starchy vegetables.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:16 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

There are a bunch of recipes for cauliflower tabbouleh online. Here's one of them:
http://powerhungry.com/2013/05/grain-fr ... -paleo-gf/

I realize that's not high in protein, maybe a nut or seed could be added?

Last edited by strawberryrock on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:20 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

What about some kind of spaghetti squash dish? Apple-beet slaw. Cold salad of butternut squash, red onion, and nuts (pepitas maybe?). If soup is practical, some kind of sweet potato or winter squash soup with ginger and tahini or cashew cream. Sweet potato and beet latkes with tahini sauce.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

A lot of paleo people will eat non-cereal grain like seeds, so things like quinoa and buckwheat are still ok, because they aren't technically in the grass family, have no gluten, and haven't been as selectively bred up to bet high in carbohydrate. So I like making a good quinoa tabbouleh. Also, quinoa avocado sushi rolls. Nummy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:08 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

linanil wrote:
Considering paleo isn't bean friendly, you'd might want to look at some nut based recipes, raw recipes might be your best influence. Although I'm not the biggest fan of raw, there are a few things I like including a faux tuna salad.
Something like this:

So basically you'd want to figure out things that contain nuts/seeds/non-starchy vegetables.

Raw recipes are definitely where you'll find the best overlap. If this wasn't for work, I would say drown everyone in frozen banana puree. Sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

For desserts, stuff like nut butter fudge, pies with a date-nut crust and fruit filling, and flax-almond brownies should work.

I also make a delicious paleo-friendly lasagna with grilled zucchini slices instead of noodles and nut cream instead of ricotta.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:18 am 
WRETCHED

I think the problem with paleo is that there is no single definition. I'd be cautious about using quinoa as most paleo people I know indicated quinoa is not paleo. In my old gym, where a lot of people would follow the paleo diet occasionally, they would argue about things like cashews and sweet potatoes (both which are considered paleo but things like sweet potatoes are an item to eat rarely for those that follow the diet).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have two friends who have done and are doing again the Whole 30 diet. Which is Paleo but very rigid and more of a diet diet. We tend to get together for brunch and lunches and with me being vegan and gluten free and them on the Whole 30 the only common food we could find was salad with lemon used for dressing and grilled or raw vegetables. If they are really doing the diet they won't eat quinioa, rice or beans so a lot of my meals are out for them. The last time we got together we all contributed, this was our buffet.

Salad - just fresh veggies spritzed with lemon juice. We had some olives, marinated beets, and seeds on the side for adding on.

Grilled veggies - with olive oil, salt and pepper. Peppers, onions, eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms.

We had nuts for snacking. And they had grilled chicken.

I would use Pinterest for some ideas. I find it surprisingly helpful when we have potlucks at work. http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=vegan%20paleo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:22 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sunflower seed nut cream seems to be quite popular. Maybe use it as a dip or dressing, or cover cold zuchinni noodles with it? Actually, raw tomato sauce and zuchinni noodles sounds tastier with a dollop of that on top for protein. I know its like the oldest raw recipe on the books, but it is popular for a reason (that reason is that its easy and tasty)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Cornelie wrote:
For desserts, stuff like nut butter fudge, pies with a date-nut crust and fruit filling, and flax-almond brownies should work.

I also make a delicious paleo-friendly lasagna with grilled zucchini slices instead of noodles and nut cream instead of ricotta.

The lasagna sounds like a great idea! I could probably convert the vcon moussaka too. (Ah, that's great because we're overloaded with eggplants too!)

And yes, I've been thinking about nut based stuff. I want to do something hearty that can sit next to the mongolian beef plate and compete.

When I left, they hired someone to replace me...and that person only does paleo stuff. All of the desserts are made with eggs and honey (honey seems like a cheat to me..it's just liquid sugar!) I noticed the jar of honey in the kitchen isn't even the local honey that we sell in the rest of the store. It's Costco brand. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? How is that acceptable and raw agave is not? They even use chocolate chips in some of the "paleo" stuff, which most definitely is not paleo. And oil? Is that really paleo? Everything is cooked with oil. But no nuts or grains.. I won't even get into the entrees.

My head wants to explode when I look at all the stickers that announce PALEO! plastered on everything. Sorry for the rant..It's just that I feel slightly responsible for all the paleo stuff in the store now, since I left and got replaced by a paleot. I look at all the desserts in the case and think of the gallons of honey and cartons of eggs used on a regular basis and it makes me so sad. How much suffering went into all those ingredients for baked goods that probably don't even compare to cruelty-free versions.

I did check pinterest before my OP and only found a few entrees. Most are just veg side dishes. I found a quiche made with nuts that sounds interesting. It contains arowroot, and google did not give me a straight answer whether it was paleo or not..but hey, if we can use chocolate chips, then dammit I'm going to use some arrowroot! http://purelytwins.com/2013/11/19/roast ... ee-recipe/

These also look interesting and are easily veganized. http://myheartbeets.com/paleo-samosa/

linanil wrote:
Something like this:

That tuna salad in the apple looks awesome. I'm wondering if lemon juice would be enough to keep the apple from browning while it sits in the case.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

jacblades wrote:
Cornelie wrote:

The lasagna sounds like a great idea! I could probably convert the vcon moussaka too. (Ah, that's great because we're overloaded with eggplants too!)

And yes, I've been thinking about nut based stuff. I want to do something hearty that can sit next to the mongolian beef plate and compete.

The vcon eggplant rolatini can be paleo if you make the ricotta nut-based and skip the breading by simply roasting/grilling the eggplant slices with some oil.

For vegan paleo friendly sweeteners, can you use dates/date syrup and stevia?

I feel you on the animal-products-everywhere sadness. I have a few omni low-carbing friends and they eat so much animal suffering! Luckily it is possible to make some delicious vegan meals that fit the bill. Low carb is easier than paleo though, since you can use soy, seitan etc.