| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meal plan to lose weight & gain muscle
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:24 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

It's time for me to lose some pounds, then gain some muscle in its place, but first I'd like your help to lay out a meal plan for me. I want to gain muscle but I'm having trouble finding a good meal plan that will help with both goals ^_^

I'm approx 5.5 and weigh 111.5 pounds

any help would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Meal plan to lose weight & gain muscle
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:03 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Your stats put your BMI right on the cusp of underweight (insert disclaimer about BMI not being the be-all-end-all of health and fitness) so I have a really strong suspicion you don't actually need to lose any weight. It's pretty common for people to think that they need to lose weight, when what they really want is to gain muscle.

Use a program like Myfitnesspal, set it the "maintain current weight" and start lifting heavy weights. Track your calories and eat a lot of protein. Easy peasy! I'm sure other people have better advice for high protein meal plans, but I find that just making sure you're hitting your daily macros is good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:54 pm 

Thanks nebraskalaska for the advice I will try out Myfitnessppal and see how that will go.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

I recently started lifting and although I'm not on any meal plan, I eat a lot more beans, tofu and tempeh then before. I think using MyFitnessPal is a great suggestion. What do your eating habits look like now?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Christy (Blissful Chef) has meal plans and workouts for this, although it is mostly to do with increasing protein intake and lifting heavy weights. Find the calories that allow you to grow your muscles without fat although bulking may be more appropriate for you, too.

http://theblissfulchef.com/fitness-coaching/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I wouldn't worry so much about losing weight if you're at 110 lbs. Putting on more muscle should be all you need to see definition (if that's what you're aiming for). Over in the Exercise section we have a thread going on for muscularity, if you wanna' check it out :)

Meal-wise, you can stick with the protein powerhouses like tempeh, seitan, and tofu. Lentils, beans, buckwheat, quinoa, rice, chickpeas (I'm snacking on oven-roasted chickpeas right now, nom nom), nuts, and seeds are all your friend, too. Indian food is a great way to enjoy high-protein meals, since the variety of spices makes it hard to get bored.

*Selfless plug* There's a bunch of high-protein recipes on my site, located in my sig. I usually make the sesame ginger tempeh, lentil curry, and stir fries as post-workout meals.

*Nothing to do with me plug* http://www.veganmuscleandfitness.com/ also has a lot of meal plan ideas. I haven't tried them, but Derek is a great looking bodybuilder.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

What everyone else said. Lift heavy weights, eat enough, don't skimp on protein.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:20 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

To lose weight, which you don't need to do, you would need to create a deficit of calories and to really build muscle, you need to make sure you're eating enough.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:26 pm 

Thank you everyone, you have been a great help :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:41 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

agreed with the other comments. speaking as a dietitian, I would not advise you lose weight at all. You're 5 feet 5 inches tall? your weight is pretty low. Gaining weight and gaining muscle would be much healthier.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:14 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
agreed with the other comments. speaking as a dietitian, I would not advise you lose weight at all. You're 5 feet 5 inches tall? your weight is pretty low. Gaining weight and gaining muscle would be much healthier.

Thank you, I'll try to do stronglifts 5x5 program hopefully I'll atleast be able to squat the bar with no weights. because I'm very weak right now :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm sure you can squat the bar :) It's around 44lbs, which for the legs isn't too much. If not you can just do some light dumbbell squats for a while, so no worries either way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

i notice i have seen more definition in my arms with eating pb2...i know it is simple but i have about 1/4 a cup a day with apple slices...i am hooked on pb2!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Is PB2 powdered peanuts with the fat content removed, and you mix it in water to create peanut butter? This is the first time I've heard of it. Is it better tasting/cheaper than regular peanut butter, or what's the advantage?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:27 pm 

the advantage of PB2 is that it's low-fat for people who don't want to eat a lot of extra fat, but still want the taste of peanut butter. i really like it in smoothies, but i'm not a huge fan of it as a spread.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:14 am 

Lio wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

Thank you, I'll try to do stronglifts 5x5 program hopefully I'll atleast be able to squat the bar with no weights. because I'm very weak right now :(

Medhi has mentioned in his daily emails that his girlfriend started with dumbbells before moving to the bar! No shame in it. And he always mentions how weak he was before he found this program. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I am of strong lifts. I would try goblet squats with dumbbells and increase weight at the same rate approx as the program until you're up to the bar. Or if your gym has body bars those are great! It's just a straight somewhat padded bar in different weights. Can't increase per program, but you could gain confidence in your form. Another thing that really helped me was just seeing in I could lift the bar. If you're really nervous, go with a friend with a bit more strength to make sure you don't get stuck. (I've had a stranger help me, too. For the most part people are pretty nice.)

ETA: Peas have decent protein, too! I just had this thought, but I'm going to start adding them to my more carb heavy dishes. Appetite for Reduction has a few good protein powerhouse meals, too. I agree with everyone else, don't think you need to lose weight. Changing your body composition will have the desired effect (I believe). MyFitnessPal set to maintain, getting protein, and lifting is superb advice!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:52 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I train regularly and don't do anything special as far as food goes. Just make sure you are eating enough, and eat good wholesome food. Do squats and deadlifts. Doesn't sound like you need to lose weight either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:25 am 

Happivore wrote:
Is PB2 powdered peanuts with the fat content removed, and you mix it in water to create peanut butter? This is the first time I've heard of it. Is it better tasting/cheaper than regular peanut butter, or what's the advantage?

It's is lower cal/lower fat. I like it because it is not oily. I like making big spoonfuls of it - really thick and since I add the water I can control the consistency. I know it is good in smoothies but I am not a smoothie person. I have used it in stirfry dishes to give it a thai kick when the sauce was a bit runny...

It is cheaper than Betty Lou's powdered pb, though I do like that BL's uses coconut sugar. The cheapest price I have found it is at Vitacost for about $7.50 a pound.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:09 pm 
WRETCHED

You can also buy powdered peanut butter from survival stores but I don't think those usually have sugar in them. Also, they are cheaper by the pound because you buy in bulk (maybe like 5 lbs at a time?)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:59 pm 

linanil wrote:
You can also buy powdered peanut butter from survival stores but I don't think those usually have sugar in them. Also, they are cheaper by the pound because you buy in bulk (maybe like 5 lbs at a time?)

I've been looking all over for this because I like to use it in peanut sauce and i just dont really want the sugar.
Anyway, I just found this: http://www.iherb.com/Protein-Plus-Roast ... lsrc=aw.ds
they have it on amazon, too, but it's more expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:49 pm 
WRETCHED

That is what trader joe's used to carry, it was great in smoothies.

You can also find a can like this, but this is about the same price per lb?
http://beprepared.com/peanut-butter-powder-44-oz.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:28 pm 

can i just say that the sugar in the pb2 is minimal in taste. it is not too sweet...