| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Friends Dont Let Friends Eat Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

harsh

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/vegan-cheese_n_5512729.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Post subject: Re: Friends Dont Let Friends Eat Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

They should say how they ate them. I like Follow Your Heart melted on pizza, but I'd never eat it plain with crackers like people do with dairy cheese. Looks like artisan cheeses didn't get tested either; brands like Dr. Cow are on a different level than grocery store ones, so a bit unfair to pass judgment without giving those a shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:07 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

How is it possible that they hated the Dr Cow cheeses so much? I get hating on tofuti slices, but Dr Cow? That stuff is so delicious!

I'd also be curious to know if anyone testing the cheeses was vegan. The article makes a big deal of not comparing to the "real" or "original" thing, but it seems like that's what's keeping them from enjoying these. My husband isn't vegan but eats almost totally vegan because I do all of the cooking, and he's really into vegan food and chooses vegan over regular when we're out sometimes. But when it comes to cheese he will almost always choose the real thing over vegan cheese. I think if you eat dairy and you're used to eating really good dairy cheese and have never tried vegan cheese before, this might be your first reaction.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:08 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

They tested 3 Dr. Cow varieties.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

they picked some weird ones to pass judgement on.

ive never even heard of Dr Cow which doesnt mean much since i dont have a big selection out here.
those Go Veggie slices im not sure are even edible.

daiya obviously is the big one. it seems to be polarizing. people either love it or hate it. i just think its ok. its fine on a pizza.

i like tofutti cream cheese.

homemade cashew/noose cheese sauce is pretty much to die for so they are missing out by passing judgement! long live cashew cheese!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

heatherkelly wrote:
How is it possible that they hated the Dr Cow cheeses so much? I get hating on tofuti slices, but Dr Cow? That stuff is so delicious!

I'd also be curious to know if anyone testing the cheeses was vegan. The article makes a big deal of not comparing to the "real" or "original" thing, but it seems like that's what's keeping them from enjoying these. My husband isn't vegan but eats almost totally vegan because I do all of the cooking, and he's really into vegan food and chooses vegan over regular when we're out sometimes. But when it comes to cheese he will almost always choose the real thing over vegan cheese. I think if you eat dairy and you're used to eating really good dairy cheese and have never tried vegan cheese before, this might be your first reaction.

are you married to my husband?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:40 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

LisaPunk wrote:
heatherkelly wrote:

are you married to my husband?

hahah!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

pandacookie wrote:
They tested 3 Dr. Cow varieties.

My brain must have blocked that part out in sheer disbelief.

Well, maybe in 100 years we'll have lab-grown cheese and they can be happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:52 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

For Daiya, they tested the block and not the shreds - aren't the shreds the most-used form? I haven't even tried the block because I'm afraid of it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:53 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ugh the comments are all like "i'm vegan and i agree, vegan cheese sucks."
thanks, dudes.

i could make ap retty good list of all the non vegan foods that suck, too, but why would i?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:54 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

"overwhelmingly vegan taste"

like kale or something?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:19 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Dave the Cat wrote:
For Daiya, they tested the block and not the shreds - aren't the shreds the most-used form? I haven't even tried the block because I'm afraid of it!
I actually find the blocks more palatable than the shreds, although I'm not crazy about any of them (who ever thought putting jalapenos in "havarti" was a good idea?). I do agree that the Vegan Gourmet cheeses are vile-verging-on-inedible; anyone would get a bad impression of vegan cheese from even smelling them. But Sheese, Cheezly (OMG the blue flavor), and Teese all have their merits, and are all pretty mainstream, so any list of commercial vegan cheeses that doesn't include those isn't trying very hard. It's pricier and a bit hard to find (at least around here), but I think the Treeline stuff is ridiculously delicious, and of course homemade fermented cheeses are a whole different story. Vegan cheeses have been making huge strides forward in just the past few years; what's achieved by crapping all over it, especially when the crappers are omnivores who can eat all the "real" cheese they want?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:43 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I find the daiya blocks and slices to be a lot better than the shreds.. particularly when heated. They get gooey but don't seem to get that oily texture that the shreds do, at least IMO.

I'm pretty easy to please though.. I re-tried the Go Veggie cheddar slices and thought they were pretty decent, especially for the price. My one experience with Teese mozzarella was great. I had recently eaten real mozzarella string cheese and thought the Teese was just as good straight out of the package.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:52 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm not the biggest fan of vegan cheese. I like what I've tried from Dr. Cow but mostly I rather eat things without cheese than use a vegan cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:11 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

linanil wrote:
I'm not the biggest fan of vegan cheese. I like what I've tried from Dr. Cow but mostly I rather eat things without cheese than use a vegan cheese.

I feel the same way (though I haven't tried dr cow), I can't say I miss cheese any more . I'll eat vegan cheese if it's part of something that looks really good at a restaurant but I've given up buying them after the last ones I tried, which other people were raving about, I still found pretty uninspiring (and so expensive!).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:28 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ijustdiedinside wrote:
ugh the comments are all like "i'm vegan and i agree, vegan cheese sucks."
thanks, dudes.

i could make ap retty good list of all the non vegan foods that suck, too, but why would i?

well some of the comments are weird (especially the casein one!), and I wouldn't personally rush to comment in support of this article, if we don't know whether they tried cooking with the stuff or just ate lumps of it, but I don't see the problem in someone saying "this is not representative of good vegan food" if that's how they feel ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:42 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I'm just laughing at some poor forker eating a plain, raw slice of Tofutti cheese.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:57 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I'm just laughing at some poor forker eating a plain, raw slice of Tofutti cheese.
And thinking it "tastes exactly like tofu." On what planet?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

To be honest, I don't like most vegan cheese either. I have had some good vegan cheese sauces, and I love making almond feta, or leaving that soft and spreadable, but I have not met a sliceable cheese that I liked. (Also, the quesadilla at Veggie Grill made my kid cry because he hated it so much, so there's that.) I do realize it's a matter of taste, like most things though.

As an aside, my mom and oldest sister went veg about 10 years before I did. This was back in the 80s, when the veggie meat alternatives were these weird canned things that smelled like the dog's food. I can remember wondering if something happened to your taste buds when you stopped eating meat that caused you to think this stuff was good, and if so, I'd rather just keep eating meat. I really think those canned hunks of awfulness probably kept me from going veg for years. So I guess from my weird perspective, I would rather just admit when something vegan is gross (to me) so that when I say something is good, I have credibility. I don't have to like every vegan food, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:26 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Fine and dandy, more vegan cheese for me! mmm daiya wedges and my favourite, SHEESE.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

The Daiya jalapeño havarti is SO GOOD. The only vegan cheese I've eaten straight on crackers and enjoyed. I also like Daiya - cheddar slices or shreds for grilled cheese especially. And I'm so sad my store doesn't carry vegan gourmet anymore, the mozzarella isn't bad on pizza and I once made a completely amazing eggplant parm with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Moon wrote:
The Daiya jalapeño havarti is SO GOOD. The only vegan cheese I've eaten straight on crackers and enjoyed.

TESTIFY.

I think 90% of commercial vegan cheeses taste awful cold - you need to at least make them into a grilled cheese or something because the things that make them melt give them a weird texture when they're cold. The fancy nut cheeses are where it's at for straight nibblin'.

Now i'm dreaming of the cheddar bacon Cheezly.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:41 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

DEG wrote:
This was back in the 80s, when the veggie meat alternatives were these weird canned things that smelled like the dog's food.

Loma Linda! Big Franks in a can.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:49 pm 
Huffs Nooch

pandacookie wrote:
DEG wrote:
This was back in the 80s, when the veggie meat alternatives were these weird canned things that smelled like the dog's food.

lol,, i see this next to the register at Loving Hut and they look so unappealing. I have to say, I got some canned vegan taco meat in last months Vegan Cuts box, and it definitely seemed like dog food coming out of the can. Thankfully it was better once inside a taco, but I was pretty sad at first.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:58 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

BowToLordSeitan wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
DEG wrote:

lol,, i see this next to the register at Loving Hut and they look so unappealing.

That's funny. Loma Linda has roots in 7th Day Adventism. Good to see the different religions getting together over canned vege burgers.

Panda With Cookie