| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cookbook recommendations for a fledgling cook?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:09 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Another vote for Vegan on the Cheap. It's got very basic recipes like 'two ways to cook rice' and more involved ones that teach you how to make seitan and bake your own bread. The ingredients are simple and the instructions are concise and don't leave much margin for error. I also like that it encourages you to improvise and use what you have on hand, rather than shop for specific ingredients. Too bad it doesn't have pictures, but then again, everybody knows what chili, pasta marinara and not-meatloaf look like anyway.

I learned to cook when I went to university. I was vegetarian and started to cook from jars, boxes and spice mixes, with the instructions on the package as a guide. Soon I was adding so many vegetables and other stuff that I figured I should try to make the base myself and save some bucks. I also had this tiny students' cookbook with a few basic recipes like pasta and pancakes. In the 'entertaining friends' section there was a recipe for moussaka that I loved and still make a vegan version of sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Cornelie wrote:
I learned to cook when I went to university. I was vegetarian and started to cook from jars, boxes and spice mixes, with the instructions on the package as a guide. Soon I was adding so many vegetables and other stuff that I figured I should try to make the base myself and save some bucks.
I did a lot of this, too - so many gussied-up cans and boxes of chili, pilaf, tabbouleh mix, etc.!

I'm going to order Vegan on the Cheap and Vegan with a Vengeance and make him a gift of them (along with whatever surplus pots, pans, and other kitchen apparatus I can rustle up). I doubt he cares about pictures, and both of those seem like good bets for someone trying to eat well for not much $$ without spending hours in the kitchen!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I recommend the students go vegan cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Students-Go-Vegan-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/0307336530
Very fast, single or double serving, simple and pretty tasty meals, I've been cooking forever but I still go to it when I'm low on groceries or tired or whatever and it's really great !!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:08 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Teach him how to google ;)
Seriously, there are so many recipes on the internet, often with more pictures than the average cookbook and sometimes even a video (I really wanted pictures when I started cooking, because I wanted to know what to expect)
I've learnt a lot of cooking techniques that way.
And the best thing is that there is always a lot to choose from, just google "easy vegan" or the ingredient/technique he wants to use plus vegan, this will give him lots of ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

When I started cooking, my problem with finding recipes online was quality control: I lacked the skills to tell a bad recipe from a good recipe so I made stuff like a Vegetarian Times Pad Thai recipe that cost $15 to make and was thrown out because it tasted like vinegar. Now I can recognize that the recipe was ridiculous and probably had a typo. Then I just felt like a failure and went back to bowls of couscous mixed with salad dressing and chick peas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:31 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lavawitch wrote:
When I started cooking, my problem with finding recipes online was quality control: I lacked the skills to tell a bad recipe from a good recipe so I made stuff like a Vegetarian Times Pad Thai recipe that cost $15 to make and was thrown out because it tasted like vinegar. Now I can recognize that the recipe was ridiculous and probably had a typo. Then I just felt like a failure and went back to bowls of couscous mixed with salad dressing and chick peas.

Exactly! This pretty much applies to anything on the internet unless you go in as an educated searcher who can separate the wheat from chaff (and there's a lot of chaff out there). In some ways I think it was easier when I first went veg back in the '80s: on the one hand, the options were much more limited, but on the other, it was less overwhelming, and the good things that made it into print were relatively easy to find via health food stores, etc.