| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Say It Ain't So! Field Roast No Longer Available in Canada
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

It's like they just pulled a new regulation out of their asparagi, what the fizzle Canada!

From a recent release in an email from Field Roast today:

For Immediate Release
Field Roast to Cease Distribution in Canada Effective Immediately

September 8, 2014, Seattle, Washington USA – Effective immediately, all products of the Field Roast Grain Meat Company will no longer be available to Canadian distributors for resale to retail customers.

All existing Field Roast product in inventory can be sold through until the shelves are empty. This is not a recall.

This action is in response to a judgment generated by the office of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). They have ruled that:

Field Roast labels are not in compliance with current regulations.
The Company is making a “simulated meat product” and needs to declare so on their front label panels.

Making a vegetarian sausage entirely from wheat protein is fundamentally non-compliant (illegal) - a Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) study (a study conducted using live animals) must be conducted on wheat protein. The results then need to be entered into regulation by an Act of Parliament.
The Company’s position is that there is a fundamental bias that exists in current labeling regulations - one that holds animal proteins as the gold standard and requires vegetarian protein foods to emulate animal protein nutritional profiles.

The Field Roast Company, along with its broker partner, New Age Marketing & Brand Management Inc., industry associations and manufacturers are launching an effort to change these outdated regulations and return Field Roast to the Canadian marketplace.

Company President and Founder, David Lee, will be attending the Canadian Health Food Association’s (CHFA) show in Toronto this weekend and will be able to answer any questions your organization may have about this recent development.

For more information, please contact the Company’s Seattle office at 206-762-5961.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Post subject: Re: Say It Ain't So! Field Roast No Longer Available in Cana
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:19 pm 
Naked Under Apron

that is pretty wacky. i hope they're able to get their products back in your stores soon!

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:39 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

It's an absurd policy to require animal testing on vegetarian products, thereby making them not vegetarian.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:59 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Wow, that suuuucks! Write your MPs, Canadians!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:19 pm 
Semen Strong

mollyjade wrote:
It's an absurd policy to require animal testing on vegetarian products, thereby making them not vegetarian.

This would make an excellent story in the Onion. How disturbing that it is actually true. Does it affect other mock meat? Will Canadians not be able to get tofurkey or other products?

I would love to read more, if you lovely Canadian-savvy folks could point me in the right direction for a credible source for the underlying legislation?

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:24 pm 

Tofulish, this is what I found by googling: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/labell ... 75?chap=23

It looks like meat alternatives have to have similar protein content to whatever they're replacing and that a company is required to do their own research if there's not already an official study about whatever the product is made of (in this case gluten).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:35 pm 
Semen Strong

OMG that is crazy! To require that mock meat be the nutritional equivalent of animal meat, in the name of not misleading the public. Why wouldn't a legend like "DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY ANIMAL PRODUCTS" not be sufficient (and that is called for as well).

That said, I don't see the animal testing requirement or that the results have to be entered into regulation by an act of Parliment. Would that mean that like the bacon bits exception listed therein, there would need to be an actual amendment of the regulation to specifically include each mock meat product? Because that would be pretty onerous.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:51 pm 

You have to click on the "protein rating" link.

Quote:
Established PER's are listed in the table Protein Efficiency Ratios. For those not already established, it is the manufacturer's responsibility to determine the PER. The official method for determining the PER is Method FO-1, October 15, 1981 PDF (213 kb). It is Health Canada's position that the official method must be used to support any protein claim. However, a manufacturer that sells a product with no established PER can use another method to determine protein quality in relation to casein, such as the PDCAAS method (protein digestibility - corrected amino acid score) and it would be advisable for the manufacturer to keep on file the information and references used to make that determination. If the protein claim is in question, then Method FO-1 would be used for verification.

They don't describe or link to PDCAAS method and this is as far as my interest took me, so not sure if there are any approved methods that don't involve animal testing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:52 pm 
Semen Strong

But isn't that information (on the nutritional content of both meat and wheat protein) available now and used in food labeling, like it is in the US? (and fwiw wheat protein is better for you in terms of protein per calorie and lower in fat etc), I assume that mock meat makers get that without using live animal studies, right?

I just don't get how this got passed. And I'm not finding anything useful on Google, which probably just means my Google-fu is dead from shock or something.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:00 pm 

So they don't want just an equal amount of protein, but an equal amount of usable protein (the complete protein thing). From Field Roast's email, I'm not sure if their issue is that they're required to run an animal test (PER) or if they have a fundamental issue with the fact that the requirements are based off of animal protein as the ideal protein source and thus refuse to label their products in this way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:11 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

So basically all they need to do is change their labels? Hope they get on top of this in time to not destroy my thanksgiving and Christmas :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:14 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

They had a lot of info about this at the Field Roast booth at the Toronto Veg Fest - everyone was outraged!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:25 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I am SOOOO angry. Looks like I'm going to clean out the freezer at my HFS today.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:50 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Just in case, this is lovely for holidays: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/12/seitan-stuffed-with-walnuts-dried-cranberries-and-mushrooms.html

I wrapped mine in cheesecloth and tied it wit string before baking to give it a nice roulade shape.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:29 am 

Lisapisa wrote:
So basically all they need to do is change their labels? Hope they get on top of this in time to not destroy my thanksgiving and Christmas :(

It's not really clear from the information here whether they just need to change their labels or whether the government won't let them sell their product in Canada unless they do animal testing.

Lobsteriffic, do you know?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:01 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

mollyjade wrote:
Lisapisa wrote:

It's not really clear from the information here whether they just need to change their labels or whether the government won't let them sell their product in Canada unless they do animal testing.

Lobsteriffic, do you know?

It sounds to me like they could put “simulated meat product” on their labels? Gardein et al. is sold here so I don't quite understand why this is an issue with Field Roast and not other brands. The guy at the booth at Veg Fest was slammed and I didn't get a chance to talk to him in much detail.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:57 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

yeah, when i was there, they were bombarded by people trying to buy field roast stuff (which wasn't for sale anyways because they didn't have fridges)

i overheard the guy saying two things (so take it at face value, i probably missed the whole story):
1. as a vegan company, they had issue with printing simulated meat on the label, as they are see a big distinction between making veggie sausages, and emulating meat
2. they would have to add a lot of filler/vitamins/chemicals etc. to make their products match the nutritional profile of meat, which they are also against, since they pride themselves on using 'real' ingredients

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:32 pm 

fork this. I went and stocked up - 4 loaves, 4 packs of apple sage sausage and 2 packs of chipotle. Guaranteed some meat lobby group drug up this archaic law that hasn't been enforced in eons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This is so disappointing. I'm not even a big fan of Field Roast, but it's really just ratty isn't it?

ETA, I did notice at my local supermarket today, a lot, and I mean a lot of the Tofurky stuff was cleared out. I wonder if people are worried it's going to affect all American vegan stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:29 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

it hasn't been available in Berlin for the last few weeks. I wonder if that's related, or if it's just logistics.

Canada is weird though. "almond drink" because NOPE NOT MILK :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:04 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

dafuq is this nonsense? I just read it three times and I still can't wrap my head around it.

Because it is 'imitating meat' it has to meet the same standards as meat? WHY? This seems so silly. It's a forking vegetarian sausage, not medicine. This makes me really mad actually.

Sorry Canada, hope this gets resolved soon. Hopefully there is a verbiage/packaging loophole to get around. Seems like other companies get away with it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:07 pm 

Canada's agriculture industry has a stronghold on our stupid government when it comes to food labeling. Non-dairy milks have to be labeled as "beverages" because the dairy industry threw a tantrum that other things can be called milk, too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:32 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

paprikapapaya wrote:
fork this. I went and stocked up - 4 loaves, 4 packs of apple sage sausage and 2 packs of chipotle. Guaranteed some meat lobby group drug up this archaic law that hasn't been enforced in eons.

No doubt the meat lobby is involved, but I checked out the legislation on CanLII, and it was amended really recently. I didn't have time to really take much of a look at the recent changes, though. I'll try to take a look soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:35 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

The whole thing reminds me of the margarine issue, where the dairy industry freaked out when margarine was invented: http://mentalfloss.com/article/25638/su ... -margarine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So soy milk in the US is actually called soy milk on the package? I didn't know.

Let's hope Field Roast will only have to change "grain meat" in their name for some other name. I never even bought Field Roast, but it's very scary that every kind of vegan meat, cheese, milk etc. might follow suit and disappear.

While we're being unhappy with Canada for its decisions about food, I wish we had a rule like in other countries about identifying colours used in food products. Just reading "colour" at the end of an ingredient's list drives me nuts. The only thing I'm happy about is that the amount of trans fat in foods is identified with more accuracy here than in the US (for instance, Earth Balance spread is not considered trans fat free here - which doesn't keep me from buying it, but I like to know).