| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:17 am 
Tofu Pup

I remember on the old forums there was a great thread about spice racks...and now when it is of use to me, it's gone!
I have recently moved into a new apartment. It's probably the first *nice* place I've ever lived in and I'm trying to give it a happy and tidy kitchen that I really want to cook in.

However I have no idea how to store my herbs and spices. I have something like 40 odd jars and bags of random shapes, sizes and smells, and it is going to continue growing. I can't find a spice rack that holds more than about 20. Let's get creative, what could I do? Just buy two racks? Or is that too boring? I rent the place so I can't do anything too radical or anything that involves too many nails and screws.

Any ideas? Thanks to you all.

P.S. I would love to see photos of your current solutions. Yum.

Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've moved house four times in four years (soon to me five in five years!) so I have a very temporary measure, but my spice jars are just standing up in plastic containers in alphabetical order with the names on top. Can't wait to buy myself a sexy rack though ; )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:59 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I did a MoFo entry about our pantry with a bunch of photos. After moving seven times in six years, the best solution for our spice storage turned out to be just dumping out most of the oddly-shaped containers and bags into uniform containers and using the oddly-shaped containers for other things. Nice jars cost $1 at Spice House -- I have one 5 minutes from my house; shipping prices might make these less desirable. I also used a label maker and labeled the top and side of each jar, so I can tell what's it in without having to pick it up. We have close to 100 spices in a walk-in pantry, though, so our storage may be excessive for you.
See:

A white wire rack would be a good start. They're cheap and easy to install, the shelves are adjustable, and you can just spackle over the holes in the wall or leave it for the next tenant.
Racks can also be installed inside of kitchen cabinets -- this one looks sleek and tidy; there are photos of folks using them side by side, which will probably be your best bet.
You could also use a drawer organizer, which requires no installation and can be painlessly moved to your next abode.
And this one, which the previous owners of our house inexplicably drilled directly into the back wall of our pantry, can hang over a door.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:02 am 

They make those magnetic spice containers that stick to the side of the refrigerator. Those would be neat and could fit a lot, but I wouldn't use them if your refrigerator is in direct light or close to the stove. I have far too many spices to fit in a rack and have them double stacked in a cabinet with a 'spice map' taped to the door so I don't forget about the stuff in the back.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:15 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm moving into a new apartment this week, and I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'm considering three options though: little shelves on the back of the pantry cabinet door (like this but with more shelves, the only problem being that I shouldn't really be putting screws into the doors), something that goes in a drawer (like this), or just putting a lazy susan on one of the cabinet shelves.

The only thing I know I'm not doing is taking the time to put all my spices into matching jars. It can look really cute when people have them out like that, but I just don't care that much. So mine will be put away.

eta: Whoops, got distracted by work and missed stephanie's post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I need a spice solution! My kitchen is so unorganized, I have spices everywhere! Maybe this thread will inspire me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:22 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I should be getting an on-campus apartment next fall, and I'm thinking of either getting one of those little revolving spice racks with matching jars OR, if the space allows it, a little cabinet. There are some cute ones here that I could paint a fun color. If I ran out of room, I'd simply get a revolving spice rack in addition to the cabinet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:33 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

You're not supposed to allow your spices to sit in the light, but I never follow directions and I don't have much room, so mine are in magnetic jars on the side of my fridge. I love having them so close as I'm cooking. I don't have to search through everything in the pantry anymore!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:41 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

If you can clear out one drawer of the kitchen, putting all my spices into a drawer instead of on a shelf/rack was one of the best kitchen moves I've made. Mine is deep enough that the spices can stand up, and I just write what they are on the lid. Our shelf space is limited and spice jars seemed to take up so much of it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:45 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I've been considering using this Ikea medicine cabinet for spice storage. There are narrower shelves on the door and wider ones inside, so it can fit different sized jars. But I can't decide where it would go in the kitchen.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:16 pm 

This solution has worked for me. In my new place, it's a narrow cupboard, but fits 4 small lazy susans perfectly. I like that I don't have to dig around to find what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I use these on the inside of tall cabinet door: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitc ... 97&N=74107

I started using them because the house we moved into had 2 existing ones already. They are sold as individual racks, so I bought a few more for consistency and have been really happy so far. I like that I can organize spices by rows based on use, so if I'm making pizza sauce, I can just go down one row and dump basil, chili flakes, oregano, thyme, fennel, etc. into a mortar. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and other "sweet" spices are on another row; curries, turmeric, garam masala on another, and so on. It makes finding things really simple. The wires are also close enough together for small extract bottles to fit. My only complaint is that I have so many racks on the door that the weight is sometimes too much for the latch and the door hangs open a crack unless you close it just right, but these are also cabinets built in 1920, so something newer probably wouldn't have that issue.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mollyjade wrote:
I've been considering using this Ikea medicine cabinet for spice storage. There are narrower shelves on the door and wider ones inside, so it can fit different sized jars. But I can't decide where it would go in the kitchen.
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/26919_PE112531_S4.jpg

That could be really cute dressed up with chalkboard or magnetic paint (if it isn't metal already) for a grocery list/message board space.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:35 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

mel c wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/26919_PE112531_S4.jpg

That could be really cute dressed up with chalkboard or magnetic paint (if it isn't metal already) for a grocery list/message board space.

It's stainless steel, so may or may not be magnetic. And there's a white one, too. We have lots of stainless steel in the kitchen, but the only wall space we have is behind the kitchen table, which is an awkward space to store ingredients.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

joyfulgirl wrote:
You're not supposed to allow your spices to sit in the light, but I never follow directions and I don't have much room, so mine are in magnetic jars on the side of my fridge. I love having them so close as I'm cooking. I don't have to search through everything in the pantry anymore!

I've been wanting to do this forever with my spices, but am too cheap. It looks so nice and organized that way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm seriously so excited about moving soon so I'll have a reason to re-organise my spices. I'm going to buy uniform containers and everything.

This also means that every kitchen at every open house has to face there 'where will my potential giant spice rack go?' test.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:28 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I also need a good spice solution - I used to keep them in a big wide drawer in alphabetical order, but I've moved, so now they're in shoe boxes on the floor of my crummy kitchen. The good news is, I'm totally reno-ing my kitchen next spring, so I can build spice storage into my new kitchen.

I think I keep way too many spices on hand, which complicates storing them. Do I really need whole and ground nutmeg?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

joyfulgirl wrote:

that looks AMAZING. i am so impressed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

joyfulgirl wrote:

I really like this, I may have to adopt it when I finally move out of res and into an apartment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

<3 (excuse the naked wall.)
108 spices in the racks and more on top.

prodyne metalla M-912 9 of them side-by side
silver sharpie instead of the very limited pre-printed labels which have a weak adhesive anyway.

from the right by supercarrot, on Flickr

full frontal by supercarrot, on Flickr

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:10 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

supercarrot wrote:

silver sharpie instead of the very limited pre-printed labels which have a weak adhesive anyway.

This is intense!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:13 pm 

supercarrot wrote:

Oh, wow. I am seriously in awe of this; you are amazing. Also, nori granules! I need some! I love the matching round-ish silver-lidded jars on top, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

stephanie wrote:
Oh, wow. I am seriously in awe of this; you are amazing. Also, nori granules! I need some! I love the matching round-ish silver-lidded jars on top, too.

*curtseys* the silver lidded ones are from ikea, and the nori granules are sea seasonings. they make some with ginger in it and other random things. i've seen them at wholefoods and other health food stores. very good for making chickpea tuna.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 pm 

supercarrot wrote:

Holy crepe that's impressive!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:37 pm 
Hip Goiter

Holy shiitake supercarrot, you get to LIVE there???!!!

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next