| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:02 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 4231
Location: 5 mi east of philly
RandiJM wrote:
Holy shiitake supercarrot, you get to LIVE there???!!!

:-)
it really was the only solution. look at the space i had to work with.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/supercarrot/1874301342/
i have to put pantry items in the guest bedroom closet. :-p

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:29 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:41 am
Posts: 211
Location: Queertopia
such great inspiration! I'm moving into a new place this weekend, and i've been thinking about how to make a nice spice-thingy. I love the fridge magnet solution, as well as the ikea cabinet (so none of my roomies steal my chili powder, haha)

_________________
blueberries are my favourites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:26 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:00 pm
Posts: 3
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions and love.
I have so little space to work with that I think I am going to go with a wire rack on the inside of a cupboard door, or some sort of rack combination on the worktop (probably with the matching jars, oh lordy they look good...and with handwritten labels! JOY!). We genuinely have no free wall space whatsoever, apart from some little tiled patches of wall between cupboard and work surface (and screwing through tiles is a big big big no-no!).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:46 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:06 pm
Posts: 1927
Location: Windmill Central
In America I had the exact same spice rack as Supercarrot and I loved it! I had about six of them lining a wall in my huge kitchen.

When I moved to The Netherlands I needed a new way to organize the spices because those stainless steel racks and glass bottles were way to heavy to ship. I got these metal tins from Specialty Bottle and created the labels with a label maker. I attached Velcro to the bottom of the bottle and the pantry door and voila. Spice rack. Alton Brown does this same thing on the inside of his cabinet doors.

I'm not finished (I brought a lot of spices with me), but this is the work-in-progress.

Image
IMG_0007 by pickledtreats, on Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:03 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2204
Location: Austin, TX
The system I have seems really unorganized but it works well for me because I know where everything is. If someone else is cooking in my kitchen though it is kind of a disaster. I got this awesome, but small spice rack from the container store and the spices that I use almost every day are in it right next to the stove. It folds out which is really fun.
Image
the baking spices are all together with the baking stuff like baking powder and extracts in one cabinet, and other spices that I don't use as much are in the pantry. I try to keep Indian spices together in one container so when I am cooking Indian I can bring the whole thing out.

If I was starting over, though, I would do this organization method I saw on Mofo from In the Mood For Noodles. It is the smartest idea I have ever seen: everything is filed in a roladex like index in bags. You would never buy too much of one spice in the bulk department that you don't have room for it in the jar, you can keep them out of the light, you can find them easy, and they don't take any space. I love it.
Image

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:32 am 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:54 pm
Posts: 945
Location: Nashville
supercarrot wins. I don't even know that many spices!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:01 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
LazySmurf wrote:
The system I have seems really unorganized but it works well for me because I know where everything is. If someone else is cooking in my kitchen though it is kind of a disaster. I got this awesome, but small spice rack from the container store and the spices that I use almost every day are in it right next to the stove. It folds out which is really fun.
Image
the baking spices are all together with the baking stuff like baking powder and extracts in one cabinet, and other spices that I don't use as much are in the pantry. I try to keep Indian spices together in one container so when I am cooking Indian I can bring the whole thing out.

If I was starting over, though, I would do this organization method I saw on Mofo from In the Mood For Noodles. It is the smartest idea I have ever seen: everything is filed in a roladex like index in bags. You would never buy too much of one spice in the bulk department that you don't have room for it in the jar, you can keep them out of the light, you can find them easy, and they don't take any space. I love it.
Image


That little index box is a great idea!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:14 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3831
Location: Canberra, Australia
pickledtreats wrote:
In America I had the exact same spice rack as Supercarrot and I loved it! I had about six of them lining a wall in my huge kitchen.

When I moved to The Netherlands I needed a new way to organize the spices because those stainless steel racks and glass bottles were way to heavy to ship. I got these metal tins from Specialty Bottle and created the labels with a label maker. I attached Velcro to the bottom of the bottle and the pantry door and voila. Spice rack. Alton Brown does this same thing on the inside of his cabinet doors.

I'm not finished (I brought a lot of spices with me), but this is the work-in-progress.

Image
IMG_0007 by pickledtreats, on Flickr


This is really clever! I thought of doing a similar thing with those metal strips and magnetic containers, but I'm renting so I can't bolt things to the walls. I was thinking of using the adhesive bits from those sticky hooks you use to hang up pictures, but I was worried that it might be too heavy. This makes way more sense.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Last edited by Erinnerung on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:18 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 2134
Location: 510
Erinnerung wrote:
This is really clever! I thought of doing a similar thing with the metal strips and magnetic containers, but I'm renting so I can't bolt things to the walls. I was thinking of using the adhesive bits from those sticky hooks you use to hang up pictures, but I was worried that it might be too heavy. This makes way more sense.


You can even use an art installtion trick I've learned and use stapler to hang the velcro strip instead of the adhesive, which might damage the paint. Staple holes are usually inconspicuous enough for rentals.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 4231
Location: 5 mi east of philly
or you can use an over the door hook to hang up the metal sheet.

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:36 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:02 pm
Posts: 174
Location: NOLA!
youse all have some rockin spice solutions. I'm thinking about using test tubes when I move into my new place, though I guess that could get annoying when trying to use measuring spoons.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:45 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:06 pm
Posts: 1927
Location: Windmill Central
I would just warn you guys a bit about the magnetic option - sometimes the magnets are way too strong and when you put them back on the strip, if you don't have a threaded top to the jar and aren't holding it properly, the magnet will pull the bottom of the jar to itself and leave the top in your hand. Spices everywhere! Happened to me once when I was at a friend's apartment.

That's why I went with velcro.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:25 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Posts: 356
pickledtreats wrote:
I would just warn you guys a bit about the magnetic option - sometimes the magnets are way too strong and when you put them back on the strip, if you don't have a threaded top to the jar and aren't holding it properly, the magnet will pull the bottom of the jar to itself and leave the top in your hand. Spices everywhere! Happened to me once when I was at a friend's apartment.

That's why I went with velcro.


Yeah, I was wondering about that. I'm such a clutz that would absolutely happen to me, especially when I'm doing big family meals like Thanksgiving.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:25 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:10 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Buffalo, MN
doodah367 wrote:
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions and love.
I have so little space to work with that I think I am going to go with a wire rack on the inside of a cupboard door, or some sort of rack combination on the worktop (probably with the matching jars, oh lordy they look good...and with handwritten labels! JOY!). We genuinely have no free wall space whatsoever, apart from some little tiled patches of wall between cupboard and work surface (and screwing through tiles is a big big big no-no!).


A few years ago my husband bought me a spice stack (here it is on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Stacks-and-Spice- ... 634&sr=8-1). I didn't love the look of it, but it goes in the cupboard. I have to say that I ended up really liking it. It only holds round jars, which can be annoying sometimes, but not a big deal. Also, I have some jelly jars that I got some plastic lids to and those make nice spice jars too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:55 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:47 pm
Posts: 321
Location: Austin, Tx
mine are actually small shelves I found in the picture frame section of ikea, hah!

On the far left:
Image

http://www.sugar-skull.com/blog/158

_________________
CapitalCityBakery.com
"Like" my bakery on FB!

@inmypies
Texas VegFest 2012


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 388
Location: London, but Boston
inmypies wrote:
mine are actually small shelves I found in the picture frame section of ikea, hah!

On the far left:
Image

http://www.sugar-skull.com/blog/158


I love the hanging cookie cutters!

_________________
Moderately Important


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:28 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4051
Location: Malvern, PA
I live in an apartment, too. I don't have much counter space, so my mom got me one of these:

Image

I do have a couple of random spices that don't fit, though. I suppose I could get another, and stack them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:53 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 pm
Posts: 933
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
joyfulgirl wrote:
You're not supposed to allow your spices to sit in the light, but I never follow directions and I don't have much room, so mine are in magnetic jars on the side of my fridge. I love having them so close as I'm cooking. I don't have to search through everything in the pantry anymore!
Image

I have a version of these on my fridge. Mine came with a metal strip, so that they could also be attached to a wall or cupboard. Some of the lids have slightly rusted, though, which makes twisting them to the openings difficult.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:55 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 pm
Posts: 933
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
supercarrot wrote:
<3 (excuse the naked wall.)
108 spices in the racks and more on top.

prodyne metalla M-912 9 of them side-by side
silver sharpie instead of the very limited pre-printed labels which have a weak adhesive anyway.

Image
from the right by supercarrot, on Flickr

Image
full frontal by supercarrot, on Flickr


This is a seriously impressive spice rack!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:36 pm 
Offline
Keepin' It Seal
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 3783
Location: PORTLAND!
Magpie-Grin wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
You're not supposed to allow your spices to sit in the light, but I never follow directions and I don't have much room, so mine are in magnetic jars on the side of my fridge. I love having them so close as I'm cooking. I don't have to search through everything in the pantry anymore!
Image

I have a version of these on my fridge. Mine came with a metal strip, so that they could also be attached to a wall or cupboard. Some of the lids have slightly rusted, though, which makes twisting them to the openings difficult.

YES. That has happened to mine too. The unrusted ones are lovely. I don't really even get why they got rusted. I treat them all the same and have dry hands when I use them. I've never had the problem of pulling the top off, usually I have to really pull get the top off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:45 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 pm
Posts: 933
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
joyfulgirl wrote:
Magpie-Grin wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
You're not supposed to allow your spices to sit in the light, but I never follow directions and I don't have much room, so mine are in magnetic jars on the side of my fridge. I love having them so close as I'm cooking. I don't have to search through everything in the pantry anymore!
Image

I have a version of these on my fridge. Mine came with a metal strip, so that they could also be attached to a wall or cupboard. Some of the lids have slightly rusted, though, which makes twisting them to the openings difficult.

YES. That has happened to mine too. The unrusted ones are lovely. I don't really even get why they got rusted. I treat them all the same and have dry hands when I use them. I've never had the problem of pulling the top off, usually I have to really pull get the top off.

I thought mine might have rusted because I shake them over food that I am cooking, so they get hit with steam. Nice, strong magnetic power to them, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:09 pm
Posts: 2016
Location: Inglis st, Halifax NS
joyfulgirl wrote:
You're not supposed to allow your spices to sit in the light, but I never follow directions and I don't have much room, so mine are in magnetic jars on the side of my fridge. I love having them so close as I'm cooking. I don't have to search through everything in the pantry anymore!
Image

I have this but without the helpful lables

_________________
**Kisses, Licks and Bites**
Unfairly biased! -monkeytoes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 4231
Location: 5 mi east of philly
B_A_D wrote:
I have this but without the helpful lables

oh gosh, i read this as "helpful labias"

i need to go to sleep.

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:22 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 2123
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
You can find some nice shelves/racks at thrift stores, my housemate had like 10 of them that she put up around our house. The house we lived in before that one had two nice ones already up, which was perfect because there was one for her and one for me... and they each had 3 nice wide shelves for spices and such.

Like this, kiiiinda (but none of these are as nice as the ones we had, which I don't have a picture of):
Image

Image

Image

Now that I've moved back home, there's just a cupboard that is very unorganized and I have to climb up on a stool to reach half the spices.

_________________
Louzilla Lovegood Letters | Dumbledore's Vegan Army
Don't have a cow, man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:43 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:06 pm
Posts: 1927
Location: Windmill Central
inmypies wrote:
mine are actually small shelves I found in the picture frame section of ikea, hah!

On the far left:
Image

http://www.sugar-skull.com/blog/158


Awesome! I'm glad to see you've got some seriously heavy stuff on those shelves. We just purchased the same system from IKEA to create a pantry in one of our closets. Antonius, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer