| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I need a spice rack solution.... mine are currently in boxes around the new apartment.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I moved into my house in January and my spices are still in boxes/littered around the place. I keep meaning to buy a spice rack (or rather, spice racks- I have a lot of spices), but other things keep popping up and demanding my money.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have my spices in 2 drawers. The drawers are 12 inches wide. The spices are in square Simply Organic jars, and they fit perfectly. Each drawer holds 40 jars. (OK, I suppose I have a little spice problem..) I have labels on the tops of the jars and they're alphabetized. I have enough room on the side for the extracts. Some of my unopened spices are other brands and the jars are round. I keep them in the bottom drawer and transfer them to an empty Simply Organic jar when I open them.

I used to have them in a plastic shoe box but that was annoying to store. The husband came up with the drawer idea, and I love it!

I also have bulk spices from Mountain Rose Herbs in canning jars in a cabinet under the counter, and I refill the small jars from them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:56 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

(Not my pictures)

I have this spinny rack on the counter:
rack by CDStadt, on Flickr

and a plastic stair shelf in a cabinet-- not wood like the picture. This isn't the greatest though because I constantly knock things over, which sometimes has a domino effect. I'm probably just clumsy though. I put the stuff I use the most in the front.
rack2 by CDStadt, on Flickr

Edit: of course I would flip flop the pictures

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:00 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Every kitchen should have a walk-in spice closet. Maybe even a spice cellar.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

efmac wrote:

this.

Organizing my spices has been on my to-do list for far too long. I'll likely end up getting a shower hanger thing or two and hanging them up in my small kitchen. For now, my jarred spices sit haphazardly above my stove (ahhh, heat!), a few are in magnetic containers on the side of my fridge, and there's a bowl of random bags on the counter sitting on a broken cookbook stand. It's something that friends who haven't visited my apartment before usually comment on, and again, on the to-do list. Supercarrot, I'm in awe!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:12 am 
ol' garly cooch

Love supercarrot's set up--wow! I liked the set up with the hanging cookie cutters too.

I'm cleaning out my garage for a pending move and found an old plastic wall mountable cassette storage case. It has 3-4 rows about 4 inches high. I'm seriously considering painting it and I'm pretty sure it would hold most of my spices.

I'm also a fan of shelves.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just bought this a few weeks ago from Wal-mart. Someone (I think Rubella) posted a similar one in another thread. I mounted it to the wall by the stove and keep the most-used spices in it. The rest are about the stove in a sea of jars and containers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:05 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

supercarrot wrote:
<3 (excuse the naked wall.)
108 spices in the racks and more on top.

prodyne metalla M-912 9 of them side-by side
silver sharpie instead of the very limited pre-printed labels which have a weak adhesive anyway.

from the right by supercarrot, on Flickr

full frontal by supercarrot, on Flickr

Drrrrrooooollllll...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:29 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

jdfunks wrote:
efmac wrote:

this.

Organizing my spices has been on my to-do list for far too long. I'll likely end up getting a shower hanger thing or two and hanging them up in my small kitchen. For now, my jarred spices sit haphazardly above my stove (ahhh, heat!), a few are in magnetic containers on the side of my fridge, and there's a bowl of random bags on the counter sitting on a broken cookbook stand. It's something that friends who haven't visited my apartment before usually comment on, and again, on the to-do list. Supercarrot, I'm in awe!

What! This is exactly my kitchen! Except mine is smaller and full of turmoil. I actually had to remove three fabric grocery bags full of random spices from our guest room when you stayed here because--well--I have nowhere else to put them.

My spices are driving me insane. I have so many but can never find what I'm looking for in the chaos of my kitchen. I would like a walk-in spice room in my next house/apartment please.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I want a spice closet... and walk in pantry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:51 pm 
ugh

supercarrot, that is a thing of beauty! I wish I had enough wall space to pull that off.

I have a couple small racks on the wall - one of those dinky but nice looking wooden ones, and a plastic white one from the 70s. Recently I also got a lazy susan thing to go in my pantry to hold everything I don't use as often. It is awesome since it is easy to carry the whole thing out into the kitchen when I need it (my pantry is really poorly lit).

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:19 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

supercarrot wrote:
<3 (excuse the naked wall.)
108 spices in the racks and more on top.

prodyne metalla M-912 9 of them side-by side
silver sharpie instead of the very limited pre-printed labels which have a weak adhesive anyway.

from the right by supercarrot, on Flickr

full frontal by supercarrot, on Flickr

I am lusting over your spice rack like whoa. I stared at pictures, stalked my way to your live journal post about the spice rack, bookmarked its Amazon listing, and now I'm about to go count my spices. I'm moving into a new place soon and a copycat spice situation is going to be one of my first splurges. I'm kind of obsessed right now. I looked at some other, cheaper spice rack purchasables, but I know I'll just be disappointed unless I get your beauties.

... I have a crush on your spice rack.

Formerly rad.badger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:15 pm 
Chip Strong

kdub wrote:
I just bought this a few weeks ago from Wal-mart. Someone (I think Rubella) posted a similar one in another thread. I mounted it to the wall by the stove and keep the most-used spices in it. The rest are about the stove in a sea of jars and containers.

Yep, looks very similar to the one I have =]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

frozenveggies wrote:
I am lusting over your spice rack like whoa. I stared at pictures, stalked my way to your live journal post about the spice rack, bookmarked its Amazon listing, and now I'm about to go count my spices. I'm moving into a new place soon and a copycat spice situation is going to be one of my first splurges. I'm kind of obsessed right now. I looked at some other, cheaper spice rack purchasables, but I know I'll just be disappointed unless I get your beauties.

... I have a crush on your spice rack.

yaaay! :-)

too bad i'm not getting commission on these things. :-p i have no idea how many people i've inspired, but at least 3 people have told me they're doing the same thing.
post pics please!

also, if you have a container store nearby, you might get them cheaper. (but they might not carry them anymore. i hadn't seen them in my store in a while, but you'd never know.) i may have edited the newest link to cheapest i know about into my flickr post. the keg store that i got them from doesn't carry them anymore.

the listing on their website suggests $33 bucks a pop. http://prodyne.com/m912.htm
i've contacted them before for replacement lids, and they were happy to send them to me at .25 a piece. (if you drop the jars lid side down, especially on the corner, they're very prone to breaking. so if you're a butterfingers, beware.) also, the sharpie takes some doing to remove (but oily fingers also make it smudge.) i remove unwanted sharpie with goo gone and wash them really well. (but it'd be really nice to just put a lid aside if i don't have that spice at the moment and replace it with a fresh lid.)

Last edited by supercarrot on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:36 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Supercarrot, I am envious of your rack!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:51 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Bringing this thread back because right now my spices are all on a shelf above my counter that is above my head so i basically have to just know where everything is to find anything. I just realized today that our kitchen cabinet doors are all metal, so I want to get magnetic containers. However, I was looking for metal containers and they are all really expensive! i have a lot of spices, so I dont want to spend a ton of money. So i saw that someone made their own by gluing magnets to the lids of 4oz mason jars like so (but I think I'd find flatter and wider magnets.

This sounds like a good summer project and it would force me to start buying my spices in bulk, which is cheaper anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Funny that this thread should pop back up, because I've been thinking of putting in a shelf above my stove for frequently used spices, but I'm worried the heat from the stove might be a problem. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I showed supercarrot's pics to my partner and he totally loved it so we bought 3 racks and copied your idea (hope you don't mind!!). It's an awesome set up although not nearly as impressive as your wall o' spices! We still have a lot of spices in our cabinet and need a few more racks but we can only fit one more on the wall.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I used to have some plastic spinning spice storage and also those little closet shelves. I hated both- the plastic thing didn't have enough spaces and also air got in and made powders cake up. The shelves were annoying because whenever I'd try to extract something from the back I'd knock ten other jars off and into the recycling bins.

I looked around at a bunch of different options and ended up building a custom magnet wall spice rack using stuff from here:

http://www.custommagneticspicerack.com/

I bought a whole bunch of the round tins in varying sizes and two of the 18x24 magnetic sheets, which I put into silver-colored photo frames from the local art supply place. You can also attach magnetic sheets to the inside of cabinets or doors if you want your spices more hidden. I couldn't do that since I live in an apartment. They also sell magnets that attach to the bottom of the tins if you want to stick them to the fridge or another metal surface.

I know I have photos somewhere but can't find them at the moment...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

My spice bottles are an absolute disaster and I just roughly know where they are and root furiously through my cupboard when I need one but I had a lightbulb moment recently about what to do with all my loose, refill spice bags which avalanche all over me and cover me with curry/cumin/cinnamon etc. dust every time I open a certain cabinet: next time I'm at an office supply store, I'm gonna buy one of those alphabetical portafiles and file all my bag spices by letter (i.e., A = allspice, asfoetida (the smelly feet spice), B= dried basil C= cinnamin, cumin, coriander, and so on...) in there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have a spinning spice thing on my countertop plus cupboard full of spices plus a bit of overflow in third cabinet (of bottles). I need an arrangement like supercarrot's for my bottles.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

Whoops, double post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:49 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Supercarrot, that's an amazing wall of spices. Why have I never visited this thread before?

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I just realized today that our kitchen cabinet doors are all metal, so I want to get magnetic containers.

One of my friends who I house-sit for fairly often has some magnetic containers on her fridge, and she liked them at first, but now that they've been there awhile, they've left black marks which kinda sucks since she can't ever change their placement now without it looking bad. I realize that fridges aren't metal in the same way as I'm assuming your cabinets are, but it's just something to think about.

Last edited by gaia13 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

joyfulgirl wrote:
You're not supposed to allow your spices to sit in the light, but I never follow directions and I don't have much room, so mine are in magnetic jars on the side of my fridge. I love having them so close as I'm cooking. I don't have to search through everything in the pantry anymore!

I did something like this but took a DIY route with cheap jars from here:
http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.as ... stom&ID=33

along with some strong magnets, super glue, and clear printable address labels. Things I've learned:

spend a little more and get the screw top lids. The ones I got (just the clear top tins) are pretty but annoying to open. And certain spices (turmeric and cloves) seriously mess with their ability to open/close.

Strong magnet is strong. I need to figure out a way to get the magnets inside the jars with tainting my spices because they have a tendency to come off.

Printable address labels loose their printedness when they get wet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next