| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food for holiday gifts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:56 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I would like to make something foody for my work people, my hairdresser, and a few others...just a small token thing to go along with a card. I am so stuck on what to make...I want something that would please everyone. I was thinking truffles, but the recipe that everyone seems to use (it has cashews as part of the base) doesn't really firm up that well and they need to be frozen, I think. Atleast that's how they've been every time I've made them. Help!

Post subject: Re: Food for holiday gifts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

What about DIY vanilla extract or flavored cooking oils? Or you could make little test tubes of vanilla sugar, lavender sugar, lemon sugar, etc. That way you don't have to worry about anything spoiling.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:27 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Lat year we made two kinds of marmalade for everyone, and it was such a hit (and so much fun, plus it makes the house smell amazing) that we decided to do it again this year, only this time with one variety of marmalade and one sweeter jam. Which reminds me - does anyone have a good recipe for pear and ginger jam?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:10 am 
Saggy Butt

stephanie wrote:
What about DIY vanilla extract or flavored cooking oils? Or you could make little test tubes of vanilla sugar, lavender sugar, lemon sugar, etc. That way you don't have to worry about anything spoiling.

my best friend & i made vanilla extract for presents last year! also vanilla sugar. it was super easy & she made really cute little labels for the jars.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:49 am 

sunshower wrote:
stephanie wrote:

my best friend & i made vanilla extract for presents last year! also vanilla sugar. it was super easy & she made really cute little labels for the jars.

Awesome! I am definitely making some now. I might try to make some lemon sugar and lime sugar for extra-tasty lemonade and limeade.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

stephanie wrote:
Awesome! I am definitely making some now. I might try to make some lemon sugar and lime sugar for extra-tasty lemonade and limeade.

yum! that sounds like such a good idea!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:46 pm 

I just made chocolate sugar (1 c sugar, 2 tsp cocoa powder, pulsed in a food processor, sealed in a Mason jar) and lime sugar (1 c sugar, zest from 2 limes, combined in a Ziploc) for gifts, all because of this thread. Snow is preventing me from buying vanilla beans, but I'll be doing extract and vanilla sugar as well.

I hope I am not overestimating the appeal of receiving a set of chocolate- and vanilla-flavored sugars as a gift. I would love to get that as a gift; I'm just hoping my giftee would, too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:18 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Last year I made hot cocoa mix with a touch of cinnamon added in to make it interesting. This year I made coconut fleur de sel caramels (coconut milk and oil) and habaƱero jelly. I'm trying to make hard peppermint candies, but pulling sugar is not my forte. At any rate, if you want to do caramels I have the recipe on my blog for what I did. I also have the link to the jelly recipe if you're interested in that. I just wanted to do something shelf stable (I have to ship gifts 3000+ miles) and a little fancy.

I love homemade stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:51 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm doing little jars of smokey sundried tomato pesto, soft pretzel bites, and chocolate covered toffee. I may throw in a miniature jar of gourmet mustard, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:56 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I think I posted this somewhere before. I made some yummy soup and put them in ball jars with pretty fabric on top. The upside: something healthy during this season of sugar and excess. Downside: The soup is perishable and has to be refrigerated. The first batch was very well recieved.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really like the vanilla sugar idea. I should have sent my sister some, doh.

I'm doing maple pumpkin butter (halfway there - roasted the pumpkin over the weekend) for my co-workers and homemade kahlua for them and a couple other folks.

We're not officially gift-giving at my office this year, but my goddamn co-worker already put gifts for both bosses under the tree 'from santa', so I'm trying to bring in small things during the week. I brought in a lemon bar pie today.

eta: I've made little bags of roasted & candied nuts in the past, too - so easy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I made biscotti to bring in to the office and everyone raved about them like I had brought in tiny unicorns. So now I'm making a bunch of batches to give to some friends.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:29 pm 
ugh

joyfulgirl wrote:
I made biscotti to bring in to the office and everyone raved about them like I had brought in tiny unicorns.

Sigged!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:15 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

b.vicious wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
I made biscotti to bring in to the office and everyone raved about them like I had brought in tiny unicorns.

Sigged!

Ooh yay!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:38 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Eating Well had a lot of good ideas... homemade spiced nuts, soup mixes, spreads...

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus ... e_holidays