| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good bread pudding recipe?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I googled around a bit but haven't really found exactly what I'm looking for; I have about a loaf of cardamom bread from Christmas that is starting to get stale, seems like it'd be great for bread pudding. The problem I have with most of the recipes is how they deal with replacing the eggs; I tend to avoid recipes that just say "egg replacer" (I have ener-G but I don't think it'd taste great), I don't want to use banana or applesauce for this, and I don't really want to buy silken tofu either. I just want to highlight the flavors of the cardamom bread in a new texture.

I'm leaning towards using tapioca starch for the egg replacer (I have corn starch as well), I think I just need an idea of what kind of liquids to bread ratio, as well as the cooking method (oven temp and time). Anyone make a lot of bread pudding with some tips? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Good bread pudding recipe?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:03 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Well, I looked at a few more recipes and then just decided to give it a shot with half the bread. It turned out pretty good! Here's what I did:

Preheated oven to 350. Greased a 6" round cake pan with margarine. Filled it up so that it was over-full with the bread cubes, maybe around 3 cups or a little less.

Then I mixed 1.5 cups unsweetened soy milk with about a third cup of sugar (a little less would have been fine too), quarter teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a little bit of "Princess" flavor bakery emulsion (a bit of grated lemon zest and a little more extract would probably work well too) with a tablespoon and a half of tapioca starch. Since the bread was already spiced I didn't add any cinnamon etc.

I poured the liquid over the bread and squashed it down in the pan so it's level. Baked 30 minutes, then dotted a little bit of margarine on top. Very good and simple! Should work well with any sweet spiced bread.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]