| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it possible to veganise this?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:25 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

The only thing I have missed eating since I first went vegetarian is my mum's Christmas stuffing and I would love to make a vegan version of it this year, but I don't know if it would be possible. My family would eat it on Christmas day and then slice the leftovers up afterwards.

Basically it has sausage meat, onions and herbs in it, so I would just need to replace the sausage meat but with what? I am pretty clueless when it comes to mock-meats and I don't even know if it would be possible, so this is probably a dumb question, but I would appreciate any help!

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to veganise this?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:40 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Replace them with steamed seitan sausages! There are a ton of recipes out there, but this one may be a good place to start since it includes a video.

If you have not made seitan before, no worries! This is one of the easiest ways to make seitan ever! You really just mix the ingredients, wrap them in foil, and steam.

Otherwise, there are faux sausages you can buy at the store. Tofurkey and Field Roast are both pretty tasty brands. They can get pricey, and that's why making your own can be such a good option (and did I mention how easy it is).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What about seitan sausages? Like the ones from VB. They're awesome.

ETA: Jinx!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:09 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

If it's anything like my Mum's stuffing, and I bet it is, I think something like the tempeh sausage from VWAV would be a great place to think about starting. I love steamed sausages but the texture isn't the same as the sort of sausagemeat you mean.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:11 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
Otherwise, there are faux sausages you can buy at the store. Tofurkey and Field Roast are both pretty tasty brands. They can get pricey, and that's why making your own can be such a good option (and did I mention how easy it is).

I'd be wary about recommending brand name products. I live in a border town, literally right next door to Michigan, and I can't buy most US vegan brand name products. The OP is in Northern Ireland. She probably can't procure them either.

If she can, I'm going to be really ticked off. Ha ha.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

It's been over 25 years since I had a sausage (oh er!) so I can't remember the texture (thankfully!) but would redwoods do?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

vgnwitch wrote:

I'd be wary about recommending brand name products. I live in a border town, literally right next door to Michigan, and I can't buy most US vegan brand name products. The OP is in Northern Ireland. She probably can't procure them either.

I just brought them up because they exist. I still think making your own is preferred.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

seitan sausage will work; i used them to make a mock pork pie for christmas last year (ingredients sound similar to your stuffing, with the addition of diced potatoes), and my non-veg sister said it was better than my mom's meat version (which left my mom a bit miffed, but whatever). just pick the right spice blend--i used one of the irish mixes from the old boards. i think they've been reposted, but if not i have them if you (or anyone) want them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:20 pm 

vgnwitch wrote:

Haha, no I am pretty limited in my options over her!

Efcliz wrote:
If it's anything like my Mum's stuffing, and I bet it is, I think something like the tempeh sausage from VWAV would be a great place to think about starting. I love steamed sausages but the texture isn't the same as the sort of sausagemeat you mean.

I think that you know what I mean so I might give this a go and also try making the steamed seitan sausages and see which one turns out the best. Both sound great so if they aren't exactly what I am looking for I don't think I will mind, plus it will be fun to give seitan and tempeh making a go. Now I just have to try and find vital wheat gluten, which has been difficult so far!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:24 pm 

acr wrote:
seitan sausage will work; i used them to make a mock pork pie for christmas last year (ingredients sound similar to your stuffing, with the addition of diced potatoes), and my non-veg sister said it was better than my mom's meat version (which left my mom a bit miffed, but whatever). just pick the right spice blend--i used one of the irish mixes from the old boards. i think they've been reposted, but if not i have them if you (or anyone) want them.

I would love them if you wouldn't mind. I did a quick search and didn't find anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there, rather it probably means that I am rubbish at using the search function.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

using gimme lean is an option. i haven't used it in forever but i remember it being close in taste and texture of a sausage.

http://www.lightlife.com/product_detail ... eansausage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

I was going to suggest gimme lean as well. Do you have access to that?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:33 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Sarah-Jane wrote:
acr wrote:

I would love them if you wouldn't mind. I did a quick search and didn't find anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there, rather it probably means that I am rubbish at using the search function.

i pm'd you, but they're also here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2133&start=0&hilit=sausage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I feel like gimme lean would work, or a recipe for mock ground sausage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

i had this same problem -- my husband doesn't think it is really thanksgiving without a pile of his mom's sausage stuffing. i originally veganized it with field roast apple sage sausages & it was perfect; this year, i used tvp.

i was going to follow this recipe, but couldn't get tempeh at the store -- so i just basically used those seasonings with tvp instead. i think it was better this year with the tvp than with the field roast!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:36 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

tofurky sausages are nice!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:25 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

We don't get Gimme Lean or Tofurkey or Field Roast or anything interesting over here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:14 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I make my own sausage crumbles using TVP. I combine the TVP with some garlic, onion granules, fennel, sage and red pepper flakes and cook into a little olive oil until they start to brown. If you want bigger chunks mix in a little flour (less than a teaspoon) to hold it together. If you don't have TVP or vital wheat gluten you could try using high gluten flour instead for the sausage. I can't guarantee it will work but I have had some pretty good success with it in most things (bought it by accident and decided to give it a try)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:41 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I make stuffing with Gimme Lean sausage in it. It is awesome.