| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: June PPK Challenge: Rockin Robin!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:53 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Made a few more things...

Mexicali Bowls from MQFV: These had great flavor! Next time I would double the vegetables (at least) because it felt more like I was eating a big bowl of quinoa pilaf than a real bowl meal with an adequate ratio of veggies to grains. I've been addding sliced grape tomatoes, a whole avocado, and a lot of chopped cilantro to every bowl I eat. I do like that you cook it all in one pot. It's similar to those one pot pastas that got popular recently. IIRC I made this according to the recipe except for tripling the spices as I always do with Robin's recipes.

Callalloo (spelling?) soup from FFTVSC: Loved this! I used one jalepeno and it was super mild to my taste (and I generally use a fraction of the chile called for in recipes) so increase that if you want something really spicy. I tripled the other spices and it was flavorful while still letting the tomatoes and veggies show through. It was pretty light despite the coconut milk, more of a slightly creamy tomato broth than a heavy coconut soup. Will make this again for sure.

Pad thai primavera from MQFV: Loved the idea of this because I usually try to eat 50% fruits/veggies by volume and the recipe says it has a higher veggie-noodle recipe than normal pad thai. Maybe I just had weird noodles - they were clearly labeled pad thai noodles - but I felt like there was far too much noodle for the amount of veggies and sauce. My store was out of mung bean sprouts so I didn't use those, but I had already doubled the amount of bell pepper and carrot, and wound up adding another 2c of broccoli, and I would still prefer it heavier on the veggies. The sauce also did not resemble a pad thai sauce - it was close to the very nontraditional makeshift pad see ewe sauce I make. I added 1.5T of miso and a splash of toasted sesame oil to add that pad thai umami, and then it was good. I'd use the combination of veggies in a pad thai again, but not the sauce recipe as written and with more veggies per ounce of noodles. I'm looking forward to trying the pad thai-ish sauce in Vegan Without Borders and the Bahn Mi sauce in MQFV for other stir fry sauce options.

Ziti in mushroom and bell pepper ragout from FFTVSC - Again, I tripled the spices, and used both dried and fresh basil, but this was quite good. I used a cabernet for the red wine. One warning, I used gluten free noodles so I boiled them on the stove and then added to the crockpot as instructed, and the noodles started to fall apart - if using GF noodles, you may want to just top them with the ragout rather than immersing them in it before serving.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:49 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

It took me until the last week of June, but I'm finally participating. I dusted off my copy of the Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook, which I purchased in 2005. I remember cooking a bunch from it when I first bought it. Then it sat unloved on my shelf for the past 10 years.

Last night, I made the Sweet Potato and Pea Salad from the Salad Days chapter and the Tempeh Chicken Salad (or whatever it's called) from the Sandwich Board Chapter. Even though the sweet potato salad is very simple, I'm actually a pretty big fan. The lemony dressing really brings out the sweet potato flavor in a nice way.

The chicken salad recipe is pretty standard. (My guess is that it was probably fairly groundbreaking in 2002 when this book was first published.) I'm eating both recipes as leftovers as I type this and the chicken salad was improved by sitting overnight in the fridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Anyone have peanut butter planet?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

back in the swing of things after vacation. tonight i made the country fried tofu with golden gravy and the millet with roasted cauliflower and shallots, both from 1000 Vegan Recipes

both were good. the gravy recipe makes a ton. way more than you would use on the tofu so i was dumping it all over the millet too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

More recipes!

~Red Lentil sauce from Vegan Planet: This one kind of blew me away with how simple it was, while tasting so complex. I loved the slices of carrot in it. We served it over some zucchini noodles. I want to make it all summer long. https://www.instagram.com/p/BHBSMm0gDvq/

~Lemon-Dijon shells with zucchini from More Quick-Fix Vegan: This was more straight-forward. A quick pasta dish for using up zucchini. I opted for Italian parsley instead of basil just because I had more on hand, but I know I would've preferred basil by a long shot. https://www.instagram.com/p/BHLdY6hgI8M/

~Mexi-Cali quinoa bowls: I liked the combo of quinoa & pintos and appreciated the avocado and hot sauce (I used choula). I really missed the crunch of tortilla chips though. https://www.instagram.com/p/BHODOiZghxc/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:28 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Made the Tuscan Vegetable Tart from Quick Fix Vegan last night and it was sooooooooooo good, and really didn't take that long to make. Had with asparagus and green salad on the side.

The white bean filling was really super tasty on it's own. I didn't bother with the parsley and I would so whip up that combo again as a dip or spread. White beans, lemon juice, nooch and capers? MMMM.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHN5y1nhQFS/

I wish I had taken a better shot of the tart, it was really pretty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Moon wrote:
Made the Tuscan Vegetable Tart from Quick Fix Vegan last night and it was sooooooooooo good, and really didn't take that long to make. Had with asparagus and green salad on the side.

The white bean filling was really super tasty on it's own. I didn't bother with the parsley and I would so whip up that combo again as a dip or spread. White beans, lemon juice, nooch and capers? MMMM.

That tart looks fabulous with all of those summer veggies on top. I've been enjoying More Quick-Fix Vegan so much, this has me contemplating the first book!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zula wrote:
Moon wrote:

That tart looks fabulous with all of those summer veggies on top. I've been enjoying More Quick-Fix Vegan so much, this has me contemplating the first book!

I made that tart once but left out the capers (I don't like them) and added extra lemon juice to make up for them. It was delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:37 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have also made the following

Mu Shu Burrito - Really good and tasty, I used shop bought seitan as I'm lazy

Peanutty Pennywise Pasta - Bum Smackingly Good

Big Stick Pepperoni - Really great texture and taste

Facebook

http://thechroniclesofbanania.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:55 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Everyone's food looks so good! You all are really making me consider getting quick fix vegan at the very least.

I posted this to instagram, but forgot to post here. I made her polenta with spicy mushroom ragu, but I made some changes. First, I didn't want leftovers but had bought a whole package of mushrooms, so I just used them all for two servings. So mine was very musroomy, which I loved. Second, there wasn't much in the way of protein here, and I happened to have some tvp hanging out in my pantry, so I added some of that to the sauce. I also used my own marinara sauce instead of jarred, but that's mostly because i had all of the ingredients, had the time, and am trying to clean out my pantry. That added a nice textural component and made the dish more complete. I really liked it, and will definitely make again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHPvUmfDIV3 ... davi_on_ig

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:59 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35071

Only a bit late... *ahem*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We made the burgers with the works from More Quick-Fix Vegan last night. I used homemade black beans and just had to add a tad more salt & smoked paprika. These came together so quickly for a weeknight! We made 6 patties. They were a bit on the thin side, but honestly I'd rather have burgers in the freezer than a thicker burger. I totally want to start making these regularly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHQoKCOA0OU/

Thanks again Moon for this month's challenge! I ended up making 2 recipes from Vegan Planet, 4 recipes out of Vegan on the Cheap, and 8 recipes out of More Quick-Fix Vegan. I really enjoyed everything as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:05 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHTDqzNhZUQ/

I'm a sucker for any recipe that starts with "one pot", so when I ended up with a huge head of broccoli in my CSA box I knew this was on the menu for tonight!

One Pot Pasta Primavera from Quick Fix Vegan was SO fast and really tasty. I only had a few cherry tomatoes so I used a roasted red pepper and I used garlic scapes instead of garlic and scallions. A fresh, light, citrusy white wine was perfect for the sauce. And I did a tiny drizzle of olive oil to finish the pasta - use a nice EVOO here!

I have noticed that a lot of recipes in this book call for green onions instead of regular onions and that really appeals to me. I like onions but I don't have amazing knife handling skills and I'm super sensitive to onions while chopping (I wear onion goggles) so green onions are a nice solution for me. I'll have to keep that in mind.

All that said, I've just read back through the thread and I loved this month! I ended up getting a lot of use out of Quick Fix Vegan and I think this will be a book I reach for a lot. Didn't make anything out of Vegan Planet, though. I also really loved reading what all of you made, and I can't wait to make some of the stuff you all reviewed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHTDqzNhZUQ/

I'm a sucker for any recipe that starts with "one pot", so when I ended up with a huge head of broccoli in my CSA box I knew this was on the menu for tonight!

One Pot Pasta Primavera from Quick Fix Vegan was SO fast and really tasty. I only had a few cherry tomatoes so I used a roasted red pepper and I used garlic scapes instead of garlic and scallions. A fresh, light, citrusy white wine was perfect for the sauce. And I did a tiny drizzle of olive oil to finish the pasta - use a nice EVOO here!

I have noticed that a lot of recipes in this book call for green onions instead of regular onions and that really appeals to me. I like onions but I don't have amazing knife handling skills and I'm super sensitive to onions while chopping (I wear onion goggles) so green onions are a nice solution for me. I'll have to keep that in mind.

All that said, I've just read back through the thread and I loved this month! I ended up getting a lot of use out of Quick Fix Vegan and I think this will be a book I reach for a lot. Didn't make anything out of Vegan Planet, though. I also really loved reading what all of you made, and I can't wait to make some of the stuff you all reviewed.

I've made that pasta primavera more than once, and yes, it's super easy and Italian restaurant quality, too.

I use Quick Fix Vegan way more than Vegan Planet as well. It's just so nice to have a weeknight friendly cookbook.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I finally finished going through Vegan Planet before I have to return it to the library and man, there are so many things I want to try! At first glance, it's a bit intimidating, being so bulky and all, but a quick scan of a lot of recipes and it looks like the majority would probably be doable on a weeknight.

I loved the red lentil sauce that I tried so, so much. I *might* have to buy the updated version sometime soon...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

made a few more things this week.

made the pineapple glazed tempeh with sweet potatoes and indonesian green bean salad both frmo 1000 Vegan Recipes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHQeGq6BX0E/?taken-by=lisapunk

both were super yummy and i think ill be making both again

tonight i made the moroccan chikpeas with couscous from One Dish Vegan and the curried vegetable salad from Vegan on the Cheap.
the salad is one of my favorites and ive made it several times before. SO GOOD

the moroccan chikpeas was better than i expected. both me and my husband really liked it. it was a tad sweet and im not sure why. there is cinnamon in it and that's the only thing i can think of that is sweet. marjoram isnt sweet is it? it's similar to oregano right?
anyways both were really yummy

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHVa_NLhWWi/?taken-by=lisapunk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i finished June in July.

the other night i made the Hot Salsa Pinto Beans and Rice from One Dish Vegan and the Patatas Bravas from Vegan Without Borders.

the hot salsa pinto beans and rice i dont know why the word "salsa" is in the title because you dont put any salsa in it. it's a pretty standard red beans and rice recipe with pinto beans. i didnt have lettuce or sour cream for it like the recipe suggestion but i did put some black olives on it. overall i thought it was bland. not bad but bland. i have a different red beans and rice recipe i prefer. i actually ended up putting some salsa on it to make it more flavorful.

the patatas bravas i have made before and are simple and delicious. i add more mayo to the sauce as that's how i like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

here's my synopsis for June. i made quite a bit even though we were gone for a week.

Vegan on the Cheap

curried vegetable salad-made this before. so yummy. one of my favorites
garden rotini salad with inner goddess dressing-made this before. so yummy. one of my favorites

Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker

2 lentil dal-good!
lentil veg soup-perfectly fine and easy to make but nothing exciting

1000 Vegan Recipes

double chocolate brownies-something is not right with this recipe. not nearly enough moisture
orange glazed tofu and asparagus-yum
noodles with spicy peanut sauce-yum
tempeh with maple mustard and balsamic glaze-if memory served me correctly this was one of our favorite recipes of the month
millet with roasted cauliflower and shallots-this one was just ok
country fried tofu with golden gravy-good
pineapple glazed tempeh and sweet potatoes-good!
indonesian green bean salad-really yummy!

Vegan without Borders

shortbread cookies-good
baklava bites-SUPER good and easy to make
cottage pie-yum! my husband really liked this
jackfruit gyros-good but i think seitan would be better
tzatziki sauce-yum! but be careful of how much garlic you put in
patatas bravas-made before, really like this recipe

One Dish Vegan

antipasta potato salad-made this one before. its really yummy!
tunisian chik peas with sweet potatoes and greens-yum!
fattoush-one of my all time favorites
moroccon chik peas and couscous-yum!
hot salsa pinto beans and rice-just ok. kinda bland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:14 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This weekend I finally got around to one recipe from Vegan Planet that I've really been wanting to make, the frozen coconut "thaiphoon" ice cream with mango, lime & peanuts. Yes, it is deliciously awesome!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHdsMLkg7Om/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5