| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: June PPK Challenge: Rockin Robin!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:06 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I made the vegetable curry from Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker today. It was good! On first taste I didn't love it, but once I partially pureed it (ran my immersion blender for about 3 seconds) and added the coconut milk, it was creamy and delicious - so I highly recommend doing those two optional steps. I used roughly the same ingredients in the same proportions as the recipe, but a little more curry powder (mine is very mild, I get it from the bulk jars at Sprouts and it has no cayenne in it), added some grated fresh ginger, and left out the coriander because I realized I was out when I started making it this morning. I also added in the red bell pepper near the end of the cooking time when I added the peas, because in my experience, bell pepper can cook down to just the peel in a slow cooker. I think that was a good move, the almost-crisp peas and pepper were a nice contrast to the other soft veggies. I also didn't bother sauteeing the onions and spices in a separate skillet - I left them in the slow cooker on high for a little over an hour while I went to yoga, then added the rest of the ingredients later.

One thing was a bit weird - the cauliflower essentially dissolved even though I only cooked this for 7 hours. I didn't mind, because it wound up giving a nice thickness to the sauce, but if you want chunks of cauliflower, it might be best to watch your slow cooker very carefully.

Editing to add: I noticed a number of Robin's books were $6.49 on Kindle right now. If you go to her author page on Amazon, click to filter to kindle editions, and sort by lowest-to-highest, price, you can find them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:18 am 
BAD PASS

This is the messiest sandwich ever, but it was REALLY good. It's the Artichoke Muffaletta Po'Boy from Cook the Pantry. I couldn't find what I thought I was looking for as far as "pickled vegetables" goes, so I got giardiniera to blend with the olives and garlic and scallion for the filling. (Though I think next time I'll use fresh veggies and quick-pickle them?)

It was a briny delicious mess, and I loved it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:47 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oooh that sammich looks great!

i managed to make 2 recipes so far even though im a single parent this week.

my daughter and i made the shortbread cookies from Vegan Without Borders together
i had two cookie sheets of them and since i was letting my daughter do the cookie cutter part it was taking forever to make them so i put the first batch in and set the timer for 15 minutes per what the book said and kind of forgot about them (usually i would check them at like 10 mins)
i took them out at 15 minutes and the edges and bottoms were a bit burnt and once they cooled they were hard. like break a tooth trying to bite it hard.

the second batch i put in for 12 minute and that was still too much. they werent as bad but still kinda hard.
i would do them at 10 minutes i think.
the flavor is good they are just harder than i prefer.
i think some lemon zest or extract would be good in them too.

i also made the 2 lentil dal from Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker
super simple and it was nice to make a slow cooker meal since i dont have time to cook this week.

it was pretty good. it was a tiny bit bland but i think maybe that's just how it is.
my daughter ate a ton of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a few of her books, and Quick Fix Vegan is definitely one of my favorites! I always end up making the Seitan Donburi with Unagi Sauce, which is truly fast, pantry friendly and delicious. I have to try other recipes...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:54 pm 
BAD PASS

I bought Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker for Kindle today and am writing out a shopping list for the Sausage n' Scramble Casserole. I also kind of want to do the Bananas Foster one, but I always regret doing a sweet breakfast because I really crave savory stuff in the mornings.

I'm gonna get smart and buy some crock pot liners while I'm shopping today -- I have a vintage one that doesn't have a removable pot and it is no fun to clean.

The only thing -- It says to cook 2 hours on high, but hey! I usually wanna eat breakfast less than 2 hours after I get up (and I don't wanna prep and put it in the pot first thing in the a.m. if I can avoid it). Has anyone tried cooking this overnight on low?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:04 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Angelina wrote:
I have a few of her books, and Quick Fix Vegan is definitely one of my favorites! I always end up making the Seitan Donburi with Unagi Sauce, which is truly fast, pantry friendly and delicious. I have to try other recipes...

The Seitan Donburi with Unagi Sauce is in my regular rotation- it is so good!

I have most of Robin's books and even have lists of recipes to try that I made up in the past. I'm all set for the challenge!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:14 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tunisian Chickpeas with Sweet Potatoes and Greens from One-Dish Vegan is on the menu for tonight. Sweet potatoes are a staple of my kitchen, and I already have leftover rice from last night, a can of chickpeas, and chard from the farmers market that I forgot to use earlier this week (oops).

If anyone needs a recipe recommendation from One-Dish Vegan, the French Lentils with Sweet Potato and Chard is a regular occurrence at my house. Try it with some sriracha sauce.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:27 pm 
BAD PASS

Okay, well. My Sausage n' Scramble Casserole didn't turn out so great, but I'm definitely blaming the cute vintage slow cooker for this one rather than Robin's recipe.

I prepped everything last night and turned the pot on this morning when Mavis woke me up way too early, then went back to sleep for two hours. It was not even close to being done when I woke up, so I left it on low while I took Mavis to the dog park and to a shelter fundraising event. It still doesn't seem to be done. I don't know exactly the texture it's supposed to have, but I don't think this is it. It's still pretty runny (but tastes really good). I wish I'd gone with my initial idea to put hash browns on the bottom instead of cubed bread because the bread is just slimy. (No photo, because it ain't pretty)

I'm going to put some in a pan and sautee it to see if that helps.

I have stuff to make another of her recipes from Hot Vegan for dinner. I can't remember the official recipe name, but it's some sort of meatball made with chickpeas and peanuts in a spicy yogurt sauce (which I couldn't find without going to a store kind of far away, so I'm trying it with Tofutti sour cream? We'll see).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I busted out the One Pot Vegan Meals to make this super quick Quinoa chickpea Lemon+Spinach dish for lunches before work.
Crazy fast & great warm or cold, loaded with protein and really quite filling.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:33 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

YOU GUYS, the Tunisian Chickpeas with Sweet Potatoes & Greens was delicious.

So tonight, I'm going to dip into One-Dish Vegan again and make Almond Bulgur with Black Beans, Tomato and Kale. This book is turning out to be a great way to use up stuff in my cupboard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:43 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Welp just made some Amazon purchases thanks a lot This Thread...

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:07 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

You won't be sorry.

I may or may not be buying a couple more Robin Robertson books on Kindle...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:15 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Last week we had the chickpea pasta salad with goddess dressing from Vegan on the Cheap. The dressing is wonderful.

https://instagram.com/p/BGIY5OHAmPA/

Last night was Grandma Gennaro's Minestre from Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker. I added a lot more dried basil than called for since I didn't have fresh, and it turned out quite nice. I sprinkled some nooch on for good measure.

https://instagram.com/p/BGSndUrAmG9/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

DarthCupcake wrote:

I bought a spiralizer because of last month's thread.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:17 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I got my copy of MORE quick fix vegan!

I made the Mexi-quiona bowl. The bowl is not a typical bowl (grain or starch + protein + veggies + sauce) but rather a meal where all the ingredients were put together and cooked at once. I guess that does not make much sense. Its a dish, not really a bowl. I am having a hard time articulating this for some reason!

it was good though, really similar to a black bean and quinoa dish i make sometimes, but I like the spices and the addition of spinach and tomatoes. I did top with avacado, and I also made a quick 'sauce' to put on top - just vegan sour cream + tapito + lime juice + garlic salt. Kind of my go-to easy sauce for Mexican dishes and tacos.

It was good, I will make again for sure! it was SUPER cheap to make as well, because corn is on sale right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:14 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

zelavie wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:

I bought a spiralizer because of last month's thread.

Not going to lie - these two things make me very happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:20 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tonight's dinner is the orzo pilaf with tofu feta from Vegan on the Cheap. This is a really great recipe and would be fun to change up seasonally. For example, I used grilled asparagus instead of the spinach and fresh tomatoes instead of canned.

I've made the tofu feta before but I totally forgot that I prefer it crumbled over cubed. I use it in my standard barley salad recipe all summer long. Tonight's version is lacking something, though.... I think I went a bit too light on the lemon juice (my fault for not really measuring.

Also this dinner is so quick. In the time you have to marinate the tofu, the rest of it is made.

I hope there's leftovers for tomorrow. Hoping I can just scoop it on some salad greens and eat at room temperature.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:58 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm making the Sweet & Spicy Chili from (what else) One-Dish Vegan. The book hasn't let me down so far, and all of Robin's recipes mean leftovers for lunch the next two days. Win.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:19 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

My cookbooks arrived today! I am 100% going to do some cooking soon and I am excited :D

I've been eating whatever the heck I have on hand lately because I've been so overwhelmed with life/work/etc, so I'm really excited to try Quick Fix Vegan. Because I need quick! Thank you PPK for bringing this to my attention!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Polenta with Mushroom and Tomato Ragu from her blog! I wasn't sure about "marinara sauce" so I subbed passata with a bit of seasoning.

and of course I added some violife cheese which made it look like a pizza

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:02 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just prepped http://robinrobertson.com/redbeangumbo/the%20red%20bean%20gumbo from vegan slow cooker. Although I don't have file powder or okra (or zuchini), so I added a bit more celery and subtracted 1 cup of broth.

I might check and see if pete's has cheap okra on my way to the appointment and add it in after the fact...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:51 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

B_A_D wrote:
I just prepped the red bean gumbo from vegan slow cooker. Although I don't have file powder or okra (or zuchini), so I added a bit more celery and subtracted 1 cup of broth.

I might check and see if pete's has cheap okra on my way to the appointment and add it in after the fact...

I found both File powder and gumbo, added them around the 3 hour mark so I might need to crank it up to high.

But I stopped by the library because they had gotten in all the Robin books! The PB one isn't explicitly vegan but vegan options are written into it and hot darn it looks great.
So many books!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:53 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My Sweet & Spicy Chili from last night was a success! Observe:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im super behind on this thread. ive been cooking but not posting

here's what ive made so far

Vegan on the Cheap

Garden Rotini salad with inner goddess dressing-love this salad. have made it a few times before.the dressing is really great. i dont bother with the chik peas in it because i dont think it needs it.

One Dish Vegan

antipasto potato salad-ive made tons of recipes out of this book already in the past because it's such a great quick week night book. ive made this potato salad before.
i had to do several subs due to poor planning on my own part. my roasted red peppers were rotten, i had to use ACV instead of white vinegar as i was inexplicably out, i used canned black olives instead of kalamata because i forgot to buy them and i used dried tomatoes that i rehydrated instead of oil packed because im not a huge fan of the oil packed ones. i really hate the oil they are packed in. it always makes a gross mess.

Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker

lentil veggie soup-this was just ok. it was a perfectly fine veggie soup. SUPER easy to make. you dont have to precook anything so you just dump everything in the slow cooker. i was not a fan of the frozen spinach in it

Vegan without Borders

baklava bites-these are SUPER easy to make and really good. i literally made them in 15 minutes and that might have included cleaning up. i also got my daughter to eat them and there is just agave in it as a sweetner. other than that it's dates, walnuts, and almond meal. i basically tricked her into thinking it was a cookie. it is similar to cookie dough. not as decadent but a healthier version

cottage pie-this is basically shepherd's pie and it was really good! my husband really liked it too. i think the recipe is missing a step though because it never tells you to mash the potatoes but i did because i assume you are supposed to.

jackfruit gyros-these were pretty good. i think i would like them better with seitan. again really easy to make and good with the tzatziki sauce

tzatziki sauce-good! mine came out too garlicky so i would personally just put a bit less next time

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:18 am 
BAD PASS

Aw, I so want to get Vegan Without Borders! I'll check to see if the library has it on Saturday maybe.

I want to make more from Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker, but it seems like every one I want to make only cooks for 2-4 hours, so I have to wait until the weekend. I'm still very eager to try all savory slow cooker breakfasts even though the sausage scramble one didn't work out for me. Savory breakfast is where it's at, and if it's done when I wake up? All the better.

I still have to make the meatballs from Hot Vegan, possibly tonight? I have everything for them, I just need to make them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next