| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gardein
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:51 am 
WELFARIST!

i'm nervous about how awesome you guys are making out the tenders to be. because i just bought my first bag, haven't tried them yet, but definitely can't justify buying them more than, oh, once every 4 months.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:20 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I like the scallopini wth lemon and herbs over pasta and the crispy fingers with barbecue sauce. I do not like the chipotle lime flavored crispy fingers. The burgundy trio isn't bad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:02 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I haven't been able to find them in any stores around me, but apparently they are sold here, because the coffee shop I go to on a pretty regular basis started having them for sandwiches, so now my options have expanded to include gardein chick'n scallopini sandwiches, with veggies and hummus. There have always been plenty of vegetarian options there, but now there are starting to be more vegan options as well, which makes me happy.
I was reluctant to try them, but I definatlly like the gardein chicken a lot, and it has meaty texture, but just enough taste of other things so its not too strangely like meat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:08 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I have not enjoyed my Gardein purchases. I feel no need to purchase more.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

VM and other Canadians, Superstore sells frozen gardein nuggets and "meatless chicken" breasts under their Blue Menu label, and the nuggets are not terribly expensive. We had some last night.

The nuggets are, I agree, delicious and crispy. The "breasts" are okay - very salty but okay in a pinch with some sauce. The best way I had them was on the bbq.

Oh yeah, the superstore Blue Menu "meatless beef strips" sold in the refrigerated meat-like-products section (in the deli) are also made by Gardein, and maybe the "chicken strips" as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Arisaig wrote:
VM and other Canadians, Superstore sells frozen gardein nuggets and "meatless chicken" breasts under their Blue Menu label, and the nuggets are not terribly expensive. We had some last night.

The nuggets are, I agree, delicious and crispy. The "breasts" are okay - very salty but okay in a pinch with some sauce. The best way I had them was on the bbq.

Oh yeah, the superstore Blue Menu "meatless beef strips" sold in the refrigerated meat-like-products section (in the deli) are also made by Gardein, and maybe the "chicken strips" as well.

Hmm, I've had these before and never knew they were Gardein! I like the breasts and meatless strips, haven't tried the nuggets.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:35 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My roomie and I tried the tuscan breasts as well and we both decided against them because they were too much like the real thing. I was pretty grossed out after the first bite but I finished it. Good for people who are looking for something super-realistic though or are new to being a veg!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:50 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've never bought any gardein products, but (when I lived with) my sister there would always be a bag of the chicken fingers or beef tips. I found them to be just "ok". It's not something I would ever buy for myself, but I'd eat them if they were free!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:17 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i went through a phase where i was buying three or four bags of the tenders a week, and then i just lost interest in them. now i go long periods with no gardein in my world, and then i see it and feel like i need it, but it's never as good as i think it will be. i was really excited to try the buffalo tenders, but they were pretty disappointing (which is probably a good thing).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:29 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I think they're all pretty mediocre, but I like the buffalo tenders best ...probably because I like ranch best. Without ranch, who knows how I would feel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Fee wrote:
I think they're all pretty mediocre, but I like the buffalo tenders best ...probably because I like ranch best. Without ranch, who knows how I would feel.

What kind of ranch do you use? I've been looking for a good vegan version!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:33 pm 

I use the recipe from American Vegan Kitchen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks to everyone warning me about the wings. I can't tell you how many times I've thought about trying them.

I did use the beefless tips in the VWaV Chili sin Carne and it was good, but eerily meaty. Almost too well mimicked for comfort.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:12 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I don't hate the stuff, buuuut I don't think it's good enough to justify the price. Not even the tenders. There, I said it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:51 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

ifer wrote:
I really liked the chick'n scallopini and thought the tenders were decent. I'm really interested to try the chipotle lime tenders...because they sound amazing.

Out of all places, I found the Chipotle Lime Tenders in a small hfs in Montana. They were freaking delicious. Hands down my fave Gardein product. I do like the chikn tenders too, but only baked. I microwaved them once and they were soggy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:54 pm 

BunzOfCinnamon wrote:
ifer wrote:
I really liked the chick'n scallopini and thought the tenders were decent. I'm really interested to try the chipotle lime tenders...because they sound amazing.

Out of all places, I found the Chipotle Lime Tenders in a small hfs in Montana. They were freaking delicious. Hands down my fave Gardein product. I do like the chikn tenders too, but only baked. I microwaved them once and they were soggy.

Did they change their packaging recently? Because I bought them this past weekend and I thought I had read microwave directions on them months ago, but this time there were only oven directions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:14 pm 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:
BunzOfCinnamon wrote:
ifer wrote:

Did they change their packaging recently? Because I bought them this past weekend and I thought I had read microwave directions on them months ago, but this time there were only oven directions.

Let's not get into the oven and microwave debate here. The prep directions on the scallopini (the only product I have in my possession at this time) are only for sautéing. I still microwave when I feel lazy. I think that the tenders always did have microwave directions- 1-2 min per tender, flip 1-2 more mins? Crazy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

coldandsleepy wrote:
I don't hate the stuff, buuuut I don't think it's good enough to justify the price. Not even the tenders. There, I said it.

How much do they run there? (Or other places) The tenders are $3.99/bag here, which is cheaper than either a box of veggie burgers, or a box of vegan tenders (whichever brand it is that makes vegan ones, I forget offhand). I don't mind paying $4 for a treat every now and again!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 pm 
Married to the wolfman

They're like $5 a package here for what are not very big packages.

I don't really buy any kind of fake meat these days anyway, in large part because I am a cheap asparagus!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:44 pm 

I saw the buffalo chicken wings at Pete's Fruitique tonight, are those worth buying?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:52 pm 
Chard Martyr

$4.49-$4.99/bag here
VeganMeredith wrote:
I saw the buffalo chicken wings at Pete's Fruitique tonight, are those worth buying?

Can you make ranch dressing to go with them? If yes, then Fee would say, BUY!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 pm 

Meggs wrote:
$4.49-$4.99/bag here
VeganMeredith wrote:

I think I have a ranch dressing recipe somewhere, I may have to try these. My family always has munchies like chicken wings on Christmas Day (we do our big dinner on Boxing Day) so these would be perfect for me!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:03 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

VeganMeredith wrote:
Meggs wrote:
$4.49-$4.99/bag here
VeganMeredith wrote:

I think I have a ranch dressing recipe somewhere, I may have to try these. My family always has munchies like chicken wings on Christmas Day (we do our big dinner on Boxing Day) so these would be perfect for me!

the health is wealth buffalo drummette thingies blow these out of the water.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

rabidchild wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

How much do they run there? (Or other places) The tenders are $3.99/bag here, which is cheaper than either a box of veggie burgers, or a box of vegan tenders (whichever brand it is that makes vegan ones, I forget offhand). I don't mind paying $4 for a treat every now and again!

the bag of tenders i bought was about $6 here. (i was feeling 'rich' [ha].) and it feels like a one portion bag to me.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:48 pm 

VeganMeredith wrote:
Meggs wrote:
$4.49-$4.99/bag here
VeganMeredith wrote:

I can't find the ranch recipe I thought I had, anyone have any good suggestions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next