| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to Bake for a Fundrasier with 250 People Attending?!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:51 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

A local charity group has asked a couple of my friends and I to provide desserts for one of their upcoming fundraisers. There's going to be 250 people and the set up will be a table with all the desserts on it so that people can serve themselves. I've never done anything like this before and I have no idea how much we should make, 2 items a person? 3? What do you think? Also, what should we make? All I can think of so far is brownies, but it would be nice to have a variety, any ideas or recipe suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Post subject: Re: What to Bake for a Fundrasier with 250 People Attending?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Sugar cookies -- because they're easy to make en masse. And maybe mini-cupcakes? Not sure about the number.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:26 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've done bake stalls for village fêtes with a similar number of people. Of course not everyone bought food but we still made a lot.

Brownies were a definite. The good thing about brownies is they tend to get better on the second or third day, so you can make them in advance. We made lots of chocolate chip cookies as they are always a favourite. I made a couple of big chocolate cakes that we sliced and sold per slice which went pretty well. Also some non-chocolatey things for the people who aren't chocolate fans - ginger snaps, victoria sponge, etc.

As for how much to make, it depends on the variety of what you're making (eg if you're making lots of different things, it's ok not to allow one of each) and the size of them (I would recommend making lots of smaller cookies etc over large ones). Maybe 2.5 per person, there will be some who eat less and some who eat more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:45 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I think you'd be safe figuring two per person or maybe three if they're mostly smaller things.

I've made mini cupcakes for events like this before, and they're not as much of a hassle as you'd think - they bake/cool quickly and can be prettily decorated with a single dollop of frosting if you have a big decorating tip. I'd probably also do some fruit tarts or pies (with tapioca to make them more easily sliced/less juicy if need be). Chocolate dipped fruit on skewers can be a nice option - it looks fancy and it's very simple to prep.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:57 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

definitely cookies/bars! they are the easiest for self serve, in my experience. will the guests be at tables eating, or milling about? that would also influence what i'd bake. if they have clear places to sit, then doing cakes/pies/tarts might be nice. if not, and it's mostly shmoozing, i'd do hand-held all the way!

i'd have each person bake up two or three different cookies or bars, make them more mini-sized, and call it done. some can be more "fancy" - like linzertorte cookies, and some just plain old choc chip. and like vixki suggested, a variety of flavors for a variety of tastes!

i'd do gingersnaps, chocolate chip, wedding cookies, brownies, blondies, date bars, linzer cookies, oatmeal cookies (with dried fruit and nuts, probably), double chocolate cookies/chocolate crinkle cookies, sugar cookie, something with citrus (lemon squares or lemon glitter cookies). i'd maybe also do some fresh fruit somehow, for those that might want something lighter, too. fruit salad, fruit kabobs, sliced fruit platter.

i always plan for a little more than needed - better to have a bit more, than not enough! two sweets per person would be my estimate.