| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: August PPK Challenge: Are You (In)experienced?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This seems like a good excuse to start a project that's interested me for a long time, so I'm going to attempt to cook from WW2 ration recipes. My grandmother used to threaten to make Woolton pie for me when I didn't want to eat what she was serving, but she never followed through. It's time that I see what all the fuss was about.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:35 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I'm inexperienced with cooking with mulberries. Last summer I made mulberry sorbet, which was good. So far this summer I've made mulberry muffins, which are ok. I'm going to try making mulberry pie or jam next I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I'm inexperienced with cooking with mulberries. Last summer I made mulberry sorbet, which was good. So far this summer I've made mulberry muffins, which are ok. I'm going to try making mulberry pie or jam next I think.

Where do you purchase mulberries? I would love to buy some. Or do you own a mulberry tree?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Xocolatl wrote:
This seems like a good excuse to start a project that's interested me for a long time, so I'm going to attempt to cook from WW2 ration recipes. My grandmother used to threaten to make Woolton pie for me when I didn't want to eat what she was serving, but she never followed through. It's time that I see what all the fuss was about.

Oh, wow. That sounds like a great project. Please let us know how it turns out!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I think I am going to make vegan versions of things I never ate as an omni, so I don't really know what they should be.

I made seitan ossobucco from vegan bowls tonight. Never had ossobucco, but this was delish! Will definitely make again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIoRzwGjNXV ... davi_on_ig

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:23 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I currently have four things in my kitchen that I've never used: fermented tofu, amaranth, dried dates, and hemp seeds.

The tofu has been in the cabinet for a couple of months. I think I got it to make a sauce from Homemade Vegan Kitchen? I had no specific purpose in mind when purchasing the other three - I just remembered seeing them in recipes and wanted to figure out how to use them.

Now is as good a time as any! And hey, if anyone has suggestions, I'm open. Especially for the amaranth. I have no idea what to do with that. Do I just treat it like any other grain?

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:53 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

zelavie wrote:
And hey, if anyone has suggestions, I'm open. Especially for the amaranth. I have no idea what to do with that. Do I just treat it like any other grain?

I have amaranth in my pantry as well, a total impulse buy. I *know* I have a recipe in a book that calls for it but of course I have no idea which one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:15 am 

Moon wrote:
zelavie wrote:
And hey, if anyone has suggestions, I'm open. Especially for the amaranth. I have no idea what to do with that. Do I just treat it like any other grain?

I have amaranth in my pantry as well, a total impulse buy. I *know* I have a recipe in a book that calls for it but of course I have no idea which one.

That's the reason for every one of those purchases! And many purchases past. I really should take notes or something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hmmm, I have packaged chesnuts, malt vinegar and vinegar powder (gifted) that I'd like to use...

I really have not been able to find any ideas at all for the vinegar powder besides homemade chips. That seems so fussy to me, I'd love to just add it to a casserole or mac and cheese or something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:15 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

LFL wrote:

Where do you purchase mulberries? I would love to buy some. Or do you own a mulberry tree?

Yes, I do own a mulberry tree! But it's kind of funny. The berries on my tree don't really always ripen well. Last year they did great for the first time; this year they are being pathetic. So this year I walked down to the park with a big plastic container and picked all the juicy ripe mulberries until my container was overflowing. It was so fun. As I was happily picking berries while standing in the shade of this tree on a hot day, this guy came walking by and started picking and eating berries. I smiled and said hi, and he said "They are good aren't they?" and said "Yes they are!". So I stuck all of those berries from the park in my freezer. I might go back for more. These park berries are huge and gorgeous! I've never seen mulberries for sale at any stores or farmers markets or anywhere!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LFL wrote:

Yes, I do own a mulberry tree! But it's kind of funny. The berries on my tree don't really always ripen well. Last year they did great for the first time; this year they are being pathetic. So this year I walked down to the park with a big plastic container and picked all the juicy ripe mulberries until my container was overflowing. It was so fun. As I was happily picking berries while standing in the shade of this tree on a hot day, this guy came walking by and started picking and eating berries. I smiled and said hi, and he said "They are good aren't they?" and said "Yes they are!". So I stuck all of those berries from the park in my freezer. I might go back for more. These park berries are huge and gorgeous! I've never seen mulberries for sale at any stores or farmers markets or anywhere!

So jealous! I've never seen mulberries for sale either but I used to have a tree that hung over the balcony of the apartment that I lived in a long time ago. They were so delicious, but I had to be vigilant. The minute they ripened the tree would be bombarded by crows that would eat them all so I had to be ready and waiting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:59 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I actually don't have access to too much produce that I'm unfamiliar with right now, so I'm going to challenge myself to get comfortable with my Instant Pot. I got it for Christmas and it's still unused because I'm intimidated by it.

I may also work on tackling some pies/tarts and cakes. Since I went gluten free I haven't been making much of either, because cookies and bar-type dessert things are so much more forgiving when the chemistry doesn't align properly, and an expensive, time consuming inedible disaster of a dessert is the most depressing thing ever, but I want to learn to make them.

ETA: Maybe I'll try a kale salad for the farmer's market theme...I have tons of experience cooking kale but have only made a few raw salads with it, though I've had some good ones from restaurants.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hollie wrote:
With this challenge, I see figuring out the mystery that is fresh artichokes in my future.

Aaah do it, fresh artichokes are delicious and so much fun to eat! There's more on your plate when you're done than when you start! I like to eat them dipped in a thick vinaigrette or mayo.

I want to participate - usually I go to the market after planning my meals and I have a precise shopping list, but I want to be more adventurous and get local things that I have no idea how to cook. This week I got Johannisbeere (a kind of redcurrant) and added them to my morning granola and in salads.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:58 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I bought a jicama today for the first time! The goal is to make fresh spring rolls like my favorite local Vietnamese place. Whooooo!

Also, the self-checkout ladyvoice saying "jicama" was the highlight of the shopping trip.

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:27 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Never used buckwheat before, so I got some raw groats and made grain-free buckwheat granola! Yummy. Also, only sweetened it with dates and bananas, so I felt good about eating it. May toss in some roasted chickpeas next time?? Why not, right?

Next week I'm going to try some stuff from Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen, and I'm also going to try the Homemade Vegan Pantry feta recipe... I'm not sure if those count since I won't be using new ingredients, but I'm excited nonetheless!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:25 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Last night I made a version of the BBQ chicken pizza from CPK. I never ate it, but the combo sounded good. It was delish. I made aquafaba mozzarella, which has become my go to cheese, and I used the unchicken from Homemade Vegan Pantry. I loved it! I will definitely make this again. OMG husband said it tasted just like the real thing, and I think he was regretting not having me make him one too. I posted a pic on Instagram, but don't know how to link from my phone. :)

Nicole- serious eats has a recipe for tofu, jicama, and pine nut lettuce wraps that are so good. If you want an unconventional way to use some of your jicama, I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:00 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So does cookware apply, here?

The last time I cooked with cast iron, I was maybe 10 years old, which was... A long time ago. And I made scrambled eggs, which is one of the only things I knew how to cook until an embarrassingly late age (in my 20s). But I bought myself a new cast iron frying pan today, and I have aaaaaallllll kinds of plans for it.

Weird produce isn't really a thing for me, because a lot of those weird veggies and fruits are things that I already enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:26 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Do your thing! Tell us all your cast iron adventures!

I bought pattypan squash and okra at the market today. I've never cooked pattypan squash and I've only ever made okra in gumbo/curry. Im also hoping to tackle jackfruit this week, and make cauliflower steaks on the grill.

What bothers me about the squash is I know I've got a recipe in a book that says "or top with thinly sliced pattypan squash" and I think it is one of Isa's book but I'm not totally sure on that part. So I have to start searching. I guess the okra will get fried?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:

I bought pattypan squash and okra at the market today. I've never cooked pattypan squash and I've only ever made okra in gumbo/curry. Im also hoping to tackle jackfruit this week, and make cauliflower steaks on the grill.

What bothers me about the squash is I know I've got a recipe in a book that says "or top with thinly sliced pattypan squash" and I think it is one of Isa's book but I'm not totally sure on that part. So I have to start searching. I guess the okra will get fried?

Pattypan squashes are the cutest.

Was it this one in Isa Does It?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Moon, I would in no way discourage you from frying okra, because I love, love, love fried okra. But last week I got some okra, tossed it with olive oil and a curry powder mix and grilled it till it was crisp. It was so, so tasty.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:20 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

New goal: try sprouting. I've never sprouted anything in my life, but I think I wanna try with buckwheat. And almonds! Also going to try to incorporate some of the workout-specific recipes from The Thrive Diet into my workout regime - will post results!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:41 pm 

Moon wrote:

Fry that okra! It's one of my favorite foods. I usually do a 2-part batter - dip in unsweetened soy milk with some ground flax seed to thicken a little, then ½ fine cornmeal and ½ flour with salt & pepper. Canola oil in the pan just deep enough to cover, fry til golden. DEElicious.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:31 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I used my jicama to make spring rolls last night! (https://www.instagram.com/p/BIyV3xyA7EN ... pyandennui)
The jicama was very easy to grate after peeling it and these were pretty easy to put together in general. They were good, but I think maybe I should have squeezed the liquid out of the jicama and carrot more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:08 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Pretty spring rolls Nicole! I like your friend's tip. I think I've been over soaking my rice paper.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, me too. They're much easier to work with when not over soaked!