| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To Thermomix or not to Thermomix?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:59 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm very seriously thinking about buying a Thermomix. I've wanted one for ages but only in a vague it sounds nifty kind of way. Now one of the women I work with has one and can't stop talking about it, and her cousin sells them and isn't too creepy with the sales pitch... so... I know it can be a bit cult-ish but I'm really tempted.

My off-brand vitamix is still going strong, but my hand blender's processing/chopping attachment has just died a death and the stick mixer itself may follow. I'm also due for a new rice cooker sooner rather than later based on the buzzing sound the old one has been making. I don't normally buy the whole 'it'll save you money' idea because I already have most of the things it would replace - but it does seem like it would save me a lot of cupboard space (even if I won't be disowning my soy-milk maker any time soon). Anyway, if I'm going to do it now seems like the time.

What I want to know is if anyone else has one? Is it good? Do you get much use out of it?

I already do most of the 'from scratch' stuff it purports to enable; but it does seem like it would make these things quicker and it would be nice to be able to make whole fruit jam or my own BBQ sauce all in one appliance. At that price point I doubt I'll save money, but will I enjoy it? Will it actually make things quicker/easier? Or am I better off with a more expensive hand blender and a KitchenAid mixer?

Opinions? Tales of woe? Lists of things other vegans regularly use it for? Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: To Thermomix or not to Thermomix?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I know they're more popular in Australia than over here, so I don't know if you get the demo treatment over there? When I was trying to decide whether to buy a Vitamix or a Thermomix I was wavering over whether to have someone come and demo the Thermomix because I knew I was likely to buy it if I did, even though I didn't really have eight hundred quid spare. In the end I bought the Vitamix because I saw that demo'd at a food show (and there was quite a large discount and a better guarantee), but I'd be interested in seeing someone who knows what they're doing taking it through its paces, particularly if they can show you things it can do better than the Vitamix-type blender.

Do you have particularly limited cupboard space? I can't see a stick blender and a mixer taking up more room than a Thermomix, if you're going to keep your other appliances anyway?

Post subject: Re: To Thermomix or not to Thermomix?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:46 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I do have limited cupboard space but only because I already have too many appliances, and the real space saver would be that I would give my food processor (v. fancy has many attachments I never use and a blender jug I never use because I have a much more powerful blender). Oh, and I would also give away our bread maker (which will be due for a new bowl/pan soon anyway) because I only use it for dough then bake in the oven, which the Thermo can also do just as well, if not better. I may even be convinced to give up my dear soy-milk maker if I can find it a very good home and can find an alternative straining method to a nutbag. Thing with the milker is that it separates the okara or almond much or whathaveyou as it blends so no fussing about with nutbags or strainers and such - I was half considering trying to use a tea strainer (one of the in-cup loose leaf steel ones not a tea ball/mesh one).

The main reason the timing seems right though, is because I don't want to replace the stick blender (also has half a cupboard full of extras and whisk bits and such that I hardly use) and rice cooker if I don't have to - they're not super expensive but I'm still conscious of the waste that would be buying new ones only to give them away to anyone who'll take them a few months or a year down the line if I wait in the Thermomix. I've umm'ed and aah'ed about the Thermomix (or similar "all-in-one" - really more of a 'some-in-one') for years - I just need to decide one way or the other. I know it can't caramalise and I know it isn't going to change my life - probably just make some parts a bit simpler.

I really like the convenience factor of having the scales built in and being able to do so much in one bowl. I like the idea of the low heat and stir for jams and sauces, I expect I'll get more consistent results if I don't have to hover and risk distraction the way I do when I make them in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. I also like the 'soup maker' idea of cook and blend all in one thing. Oh, and not having to stir risotto, it won't be as nice but I've made risotto once this year even though it's a favourite because I'm just too lazy.

I suppose my main concern is that the recipes aren't very vegan. The people I know who use them are either veggie or omni and they use the recipes to become more adventurous - which I don't really need. There will also be a steeper learning curve if the basic and starter stuff isn't really ideal. Then again I had the same thoughts on the slow cooker but I use that (although it may go too as most of what I slow cook could be cooked quicker with the 'stir and cook' method in the TMX).

I've booked the demo thing for the 18th, and I have been to one of the party things before but only got to interact with some of the functions. The lady doing my demo is going to veganise it, and all the subs seem pretty straightforward. We will see! I just want to have decided one way or the other before the demo, at least mostly. Because I know once I play with it I'm probably going to cave an buy it - but they're so expensive that I want to be really sure. Also, said cupboard cleansing is going to need to start in earnest even if it will be a bit heart wrenching.

I still hope someone else who has one might chime in and let me know how they feel about it. Particularly how it holds up as a stand mixer - I don't have the bench space for both and stand mixer (e.g. KitchenAid etc) so if I get the TMX now, a stand mixer stops being an option further down the line. And also just is it actually as time saving as I imagine it is?