| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is always in your pantry? Your fridge?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I love hearing how others stock their pantries and fridges, and I love pictures of people's fridges and cupboards. So... what is in yours?

Post subject: Re: What is always in your pantry? Your fridge?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:24 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Miso, some sort of leafy vegetable (right now I have baby bok choy, swiss chard, purple kale), too many kinds of mustard, beer, and I always have a few slabs of tempeh and tofu. One could surmise that I love stir fry and ramen with veggies if they looked into my fridge.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

Always in our pantry: nooch (we literally have a 10 pound bucket of nooch right now), Leahey's cheese sauce, Vegg yolk, FYH eggs, fair trade & slavery-free chocolate chips, gluten, at least one can of black olives, at least one can of both Cedarlake chops and Cedarlake deli franks, Road's End gravy packets, too many kinds of tea (in addition to the usual baking supplies, oatmeal, etc.), an infinite variety of noodles.

Always in our fridge: Wildwood creamer, homemade butter, around 15 kinds of hot sauce (we... have a problem), miso, kale, carrots, fruit, multiple almost-finished jars of homemade jam, refrigerator pickles, dinner leftovers, sprouted wheat bread, an assortment of vegan cheeses, whatever produce is in season at the farmer's market (this is, like, 80% of our fridge space), and some sort of plant milk.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:07 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Always in my fridge: many kinds of whole flours, grains and cereals, dried fruit, some kind of nut butter, tamari sauce, some kind of hot sauce, maple syrup, soy milk, a few kinds of vinegars, baking powder, mustard, miso, yeasts, extracts, liquid smoke, kale, broccoli, other veggies and fruit.

Always in my pantry: maple sugar, blackstrap molasses, starches, baking soda, cocoa, hibiscus, popping corn, a ton of dried herbs and spices, nooch, agar. In fact, my pantry is pretty bare considering I stuff almost everything in the fridge or freezer.

Always in my freezer: cooked beans, fruit, a variety of nuts and seeds, ginger, hot peppers, bread crusts for making breadcrumbs, curry paste, applesauce in small portions for baking, leftover fresh herbs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

veganchubosaurus wrote:
around 15 kinds of hot sauce (we... have a problem)

I have the same problem with flour. I have a bag of flour from about every grain I can think of, and a couple of them are just sitting there forlornly after having been used once. (I should make some injera to use up that teff...)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:51 am 
Saggy Butt

Pantry: different flours (at least whole wheat, barley and roasted oat flour/skrädmjöl, baking powder & co, vanilla powder, lots of canned chickpeas, rolled oats, vegan guaranteed milkfree chocolate (plamil's mostly), canned beans and lentils, soybeans, at least olive oil, canned crushed tomatoes, red and brown lentils, cocoa powder. That's the absolute minimum.

On the counter: lots and lots of garlic and shallots, normal canola oil, bananas and sometimes tomatoes.

Fridge: homemade soy milk, sourdough, tofu, miso (dark and light), apple cider vinegar, coldpressed canola oil, sauerkraut, soyjoghurt, carrots, onions, hummus, peanut butter, lemon juice, ketchup, vegan margarine. That's the bare essentials.

Freezer: lots and lots of fruits, heaps of frozen very ripe bananas, broccoli, green beans, corn, kale, tzay, oumph, rice, lunch boxes. That's the core. I find frozen stuff more practical and economical especially if bought fresh when cheap and frozen - what with commuting and living outside the town and not having a car.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pantry:
Baking section: flour, rolled oats, white sugar and brown sugar, gluten, baking soda, baking powder, vanillated sugar, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, agar, cornstarch, tapioca starch (I make a lot of milk based desserts with the last 3)
Spice section: a whole lot of stuff but at the very very least cumin, thyme, oregano, paprika, red pepper flakes, white + black peppercorns, nooch, bouillon powder
Canned tomatoes, chickpeas, kidney beans, tomato paste, and among the many seeds at least flax and sesame.

On the counter: 10 kinds of oil and 10 kinds of vinegar - I'd say the essentials are olive oil, canola, toasted sesame oil, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, mirin.

In the fridge: white miso, soy sauce, soy milk, soy yogurt, hummus, tahini, dijon mustard, maple syrup, jalapenos, liquid smoke, wasabi, 15 kinds of hot sauce

I don't consider the stuff in the freezer "staples" but I always keep in there: shelled edamame, dumplings, cubed tempeh, and aquafaba frozen in ice cube trays.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Love this thread :)

Pantry: Baked beans, chickpeas, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, masses of dried herbs and spices, nooch, vital wheat gluten, dried pasta and noodles, short grain brown rice, lentils, oats, tinned coconut milk, jarred olives, jarred jalapenos, popping corn, tea, coffee, quinoa, grits, onion gravy powder and more recently instant mashed potato.

Counter: Ketchup, mustard, olive oil and usually hemp or coconut oil, toasted sesame oil, a few varieties of hot sauce, various types of salt, pepper, balsamic and sherry vinegars, vitamin b12 so I remember to take it, liquid smoke, soy sauce, rice wine, tahini.

Fridge: Salad cream, mayo, plant milk, lemon juice, lime juice, miso when I remember to buy it, tomatoes, mushrooms, tofu, whatever salad and veg I've bought that week. Sometimes dill pickles and Branston pickle, violife cheese but it never lasts long.

Freezer: Pretty much always have frozen peas, sweetcorn, broad beans and shelled edamame for emergencies, a spare block of tofu and tvp stuff like burgers and vegan quorn chicken chunks. Oh, and some frozen herbs and chillies.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:28 am 
WRETCHED

I think I have a pantry problem in general but the things I'm listing here, we generally use on a weekly basis or are for emergencies (like the veggie burgers pasta/pasta sauce, that is a rarity but good for when my husband has a craving)

Freezer: Various frozen berries, veggie burgers (although we tend to only eat them in summer), whole grain bread, tortillas, veggie meatballs, frozen greens, frozen corn, frozen hatch chiles

Fridge: ketchup, mustard, lemon juice, lime juice, miso, liquid smoke, a variety of hot sauces (asian style, american style, mexican style), unsweetened soy milk, soy yogurt (I make it), hummus, pickled jalapeños, picked other veggies, a variety of fresh veggies (carrots, celery, usually some greens and other stuff depending on season), tofu, tempeh, ground flax seed, lemons and limes.

Pantry: A variety of canned beans (kidney, pinto, black, lentils, chickpeas, etc, etc), a variety of dried beans (black eyed peas, green lentils, brown lentils, red lentils, chickpeas, black beans, heirloom mexican beans, etc), a variety of dried grains (brown basmati, white basmati, brown long grain rice, couscous, quinoa, amaranth, etc)., various oils (coconut oil, sesame seed oil, olive oil, canola oil, etc), various vinegars (apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, etc), a variety of canned tomatoes (crushed, diced, whole, with herbs, etc), soy sauce, nutritional yeast, vital wheat gluten, chickpea powder, salsa, hot sauce, canned chipotles, dried chilis, peanut butter, tahini, pasta sauce, pasta, asian style rice noodles, muesli, cereal, bouillon and lots of tea

Pantry - Spices: salt, pepper, minced dried garlic, dried herbs (basil, oregano, mexican oregano, rosemary, dill, thyme, etc), chile powder (a few actually), cayenne pepper, chipotle powder, crushed red chilis, onion powder, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, curry powder mixes, and a variety of other spices (I have a lot, maybe 60 total)

Pantry semi-perishable - tomatoes, onions, garlic, chilis, some kind of fruit (depends on season and price, right now I have nectarines but we frequently have bananas and will be loading up on apples soon) and in winter, I generally will have winter squash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:57 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I feel pretty well stocked if I have all this. Then I just buy whatever produce and different beans/nuts/grains I'm using that week. But this is what I always buy-

Fridge: tahini, miso, tamari, nooch, sesame oil, dijon, lemons and limes, salsa (currently have five- always looking for the best one!), mild hot sauces (Cholula, Frank's), EB, peanut butter, cashews, TJ's soy creamer, super firm tofu, TJ's steamed lentils, romaine (other produce varies)

Freezer: frozen bananas, frozen cherries, usually a loaf of sesame Ezekial bread, roasted corn, sometimes pre-cooked rice, ground flax

Pantry: brown rice, rice noodles, quinoa, millet, canned fire roasted tomatoes, rolled oats, coconut milk, jar of roasted red peppers, chickpeas and black beans (and usually more kinds of beans), olive and coconut oils, agave, cocoa powder, vanilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i love this thread, too!

always in our fridge:
coffee and iced tea (we love some iced coffee so i make a big jug every week)
silk vanilla creamer
jelly and maple syrup
quick rising yeast for pizzas and such
miso, capers, sun-dried tomatoes
tahini, earth balance
lemons, limes, habs, jalapenos, cilantro, green onions, broccoli, salad mix or romaine lettuce and carrots
salsa, soy sauce, salad dressing (right now it's FYH's bleu cheese and Amy's tuscan one), mayo (usually vegenaise)
daiya cheddar and mozz, tofu pups, tofu, tofurkey or field roast, sour cream, cream cheeze (kite hill if we're feeling fancy)
homemade parma AND FYH's new parma (which i cannot recommend enough - the one in the canister AND the shreds)

freezer:
a frozen pizza of sorts
local bagels
simple truth meatless crumbles, tenders, sausages and griller strips
edamame
nooch, ground flax seeds, cashews, walnuts, almonds, sesame seeds

pantry:
sugar (brown and white), flour (unbleached white and whole wheat), wheat gluten, molasses, agave, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, ingredients for carrot cake and chocolate cuppins cakes
ketchup, mustard, more soy sauce, peanut butter, rice (long grain and sticky)
pasta, marinara, canned tomatoes and tomato paste
rotel, e.b. mac 'n cheese, wakame (for miso soup), ramen, tortilla chips, popcorn, peanuts, coconut milk, beets, cranberry sauce, beans of all sorts
baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, potato starch, apple cider vinegar, mirin, rice vinegar, sherry, balsamic, and white vinegar, oils (canola, safflower, cooking oil spray and olive)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:04 pm 
Nailed to the V

I like reading this thread because I realize how weirdly we store stuff in my house. Like, I didn't list oils & vinegars in the pantry section because they have their own cabinet above the stove. And I didn't list "8 heads of garlic" anywhere because they have their own shelf above the stove. And our spices take up all three shelves of a two-doored cabinet.

our freezer always has: random accidentally vegan Asian market finds, yuba, yeast, whiskey rocks, at least one kind of ice cream, the ice cream maker attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer, Snackrilege bulk seitan, frozen fruit for smoothies, and more homemade butter. Right now there's also a ham tube, two kinds of lunch meat from Homegrown Smoker, popsicles, and a bag of chestnuts (and other less interesting things).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:50 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I also love this thread, it is just so interesting.

Fridge:
1l tub of tahini
1.5l tub of Nuttelex (margarine, probably our version of EB)
Gigantic Costco jar of kalamata olives
Gigantic Costco jar of sundried tomato strips
The Door of Jars: Diced garlic, diced ginger, at least 3 x types of mustard, various curry and flavour pastes, gherkin relish, various kinds of chutney. Pesto/s. Miso. Tamarind paste.
LSA or similar (I'm actually using this mixed seed topping mix at the moment which isn't meal but still goes on my wheatbix/cereal etc)
Veg and herbs vary but usually: mushrooms, baby spinach, baby kale, carrots, celery, leeks, broccoli or broccolini, asparagus if it's in season. Capsicum. I often have fresh coriander (cilantro) and/or curry leaves because I don't grow them for some reason (I should fix that), and lemon grass.
Coconut milk and/or homemade nut milk for drinking and tea. Soy milk, if I've opened one for cooking/baking and not used the whole thing.
Bakers yeast
Tofu, firm at a minimum but usually silky too. Often tempeh and/or tofu puffs too. Seitan of some variety, usually veggie sausages.
Hummus. So much hummus.

Freezer:
Frozen fruit/berries, ice, whisky stones (I wasn't going to admit that but I see I'm not alone), Frys 'chicken' strips, various mock meat of the moment, veggie spring rolls, some kind of potato product (curly fries, hashbrowns or gems, etc). Bags of home batched frozen baby spinach and cubed pumpkin (because my spouse buys in bulk), mirepoix (diced celery, carrot, onion), and lemon juice cubes. Sometimes fresh herb paste cubes too. Pastry (even though I should make my own I seldom do and it's almost always the puff pastry sheets). Frozen baby peas and frozen mixed veg. Edamame.

Pantry:
Oils: Avocado and/or olive, macadamia (or other 'treat' oil for salads etc). Flavoured oils garlic oil, truffle oil, maybe basil or some other adventure oil. Sesame oil. Coconut oil.
Vinegars: Rice and/or rice wine and/or white wine in a pinch, balsamic and/or red wine. Large bottle of apple cider. Malt.
Giant thing of maple syrup and/or 2 x bottles of agave.
Sauces: Soy sauce (giant) + kecap manis, often vegetarian stir-fry sauce too. Sweet chilli, BBQ, ketchup (these are all in the fridge in summer - yay Australia)
Rice: basmati, brown, arborio and/or sushi rice. Sometimes also wild rice and/or red rice and/or a rice blend thing.
Grains: Quinoa (rainbow usually), millet, oats and oat bran, other various grains. Seeds of various types, always sesame and sunflower, usually flax, poppy and pumpkin too.
Nuts: almonds (always and in bulk), cashews, pecans and walnuts at a minimum. Also macadamias and sometimes peanuts too. I usually have crushed peanuts and slivered almonds pre-prepped and on hand. Desiccated coconut.
Baking stuff: pastry/bread flour, normal unbleached white flour, baking soda, baking powder, tartaric acid and citric acid, icing sugar, various other sugars: coconut, muscovado and/or brown, and demerara and/or raw. Dark chocolate chips and various dried/crystallized fruits (usually cherries and sultanas, often cranberries too). Vegan sprinkles and/or coloured sugar. Bread improver.
Starches etc: Potato starch, cornflour, arrowroot. Plus xanthan gum and/or guar gum, soy lecithin, agar agar, pectin. Calcium sulfate (for tofu).
Breadcrumbs and/or several packets of accidentally vegan stuffing mix. Gluten free breadcrumbs.
Dried beans and dry soup mixes (McKenzie's standard soup mix with barley in like 1.2 kilo bags, and the Italian variation as large as I can buy it too), lentils (red, brown and green/black), usually a range of black beans, lima, kidney, etc too. Split peas, green and/or yellow.
Noodles both soba and instant, sometimes udon or other as well.
Stock powder: "chicken" "beef" and vegetable, usually mushroom and/or ginger and/or 'herb' too, plus a big pack of vegeta (Croatian etc staple, not good for you but so yum).
Vegan gravy mix (usually both the gluten free Ogran brand or Massel brand, depending on when and where we shop)
Giant jar of nooch
Crackers and/or potato/casava chips.
Herbs and spices: too many to list, but never enough for my soul - I use a lot of spices!
Spreads: Jam (although this moves to the fridge once open), marmite, peanut butter, some kind of nut butter or cocoa spread (I've still not found the right one since my old faux-nuttella brand stopped production).
Onions, garlic, sweet potato, and potatoes.
Too many kinds of chocolate and raw snack bars.

Bulk pantry:
Tinned: tomatoes (crushed and whole), corn, baked beans (no salt), borlotti beans, chick peas, red kidney beans, refried beans, coconut cream. Pears, and pineapple. Various berries. Passionfruit pulp.
Tomato paste
Various pastas, at a minimum lasagne sheets, macaroni, penne (ribbed ziti), and bows/farfelle, and at least one of spaghetti or linguine and/or fettuccine. Mix of wholemeal, normal wheat and various bean or veggie pastas. I also keep at least one packet of gluten free pasta (normally farfelle or spirals) on hand for variety and/or gluten free visitors.
Soy milk.
Technically the flours, nuts, dried fruits and a lot of the grains live in this section too but I keep smaller portions for use in the main pantry so counted them there.

Bench: multi-grain bread, 3 x flavoured salts (black, citrus/citron, and smoked or native herb), tricolour pepper in a grinder. Small jar of nooch for sprinkling.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Always in my pantry (cupboard):
An assortment of green and black tea, various dried beans & lentils & peas, ap flour, baking powder & soda, cornmeal, sugar (white, brown, and agave), garbanzo flour, a few types of rice, oatmeal, nooch, a couple varieties of pasta, vinegar (red & white wine, white, rice, mirin, apple cider, and balsamic), oil (olive, toasted sesame, grape seed, & coconut), canned tomatoes (diced, crushed, whole, and paste), sun dried tomatoes, canned pineapple, applesauce, extracts (vanilla, coffee, lemon, chocolate), TVP, onions & garlic, & too many dried herbs & spices to list

Always in the fridge:
Condiments such as mayo, mustard (yellow & Dijon), miso, tamari, ketchup, ten different kinds of hot sauce, kalamata olives, capers, raspberry jam, chocolate chips, tahini, peanut & almond butter, earth balance, soymilk, FYH slices, bread, tortillas (flour & corn), salsa, tofu, potatoes, cabbage

Always in the freezer:
homemade seitan, flaxseed meal, peas, corn, ice cream, random leftovers, ginger, pie crusts, chia seeds, lechithin, zanathan gum

It's interesting to see how much food I always have in my kitchen! I love cooking so it keeps it easy and convenient having all these pantry essentials on hand most of the time. I feel really lucky too.

ETA: Whoa, I didn't think my list could get any bigger but after reading through the lists above mine I see that I forgot a ton of stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:30 am 
Huffs Nooch

I'm really enjoying reading all of these responses.

Always in the pantry: peanut butter, nutritional yeast, vital wheat gluten, popcorn, oats for making granola (I am not an oatmeal fan--I wish I could get used to the texture), canned tomatoes & tomato paste, canned chickpeas and black beans, pasta, hot sauce, coconut milk, rice noodles, nori, sushi rice, rice paper wrappers.

Always in the fridge: kimchi, sriracha, miso, molasses, red curry paste, soy sauce, just mayo, maple syrup, earth balance, chunks of well-wrapped seitan, blocks of extra-firm tofu, tahini, romaine, tomatoes, apples, soy and almond milk (husband refuses to drink soy milk, kiddo refuses to drink almond milk).

Always in the freezer: AP flour, WW pastry flour, chickpea flour, sugar, faux-sage patties, some kind of gardein product, packages of frozen broccoli, spinach, and brussels sprouts, and frozen bananas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I love how so many people have completely different things to me.

My pantry:
Canned tomatoes, tomato puree, tomato pasatta, canned beans (kidney, cannelini, chickpea), canned coconut milk, spices (far too many to list), TVP mince + chunks, vegetable bouillon powder, nutritional yeast, cider vinegar, malt vinegar, marmite, gravy granules, white flour, white sugar, brown sugar, golden syrup, icing sugar, baking powder + soda, vanilla extract, dark choc for baking, ground almonds, cocoa powder, instant coffee granules, decaf tea, rooibos tea, some herbal teas, cashews, lots of biscuits, rice, quinoa (if it's on offer), lots of pastas, lots of types of lentils, gram flour, oats, cereals (puffed rice + shreddies), peanut butter, cornflour, polenta, onion, garlic

Fridge: Soy milk, some other kind of non-soy milk, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, olives, vegan butter (usually vitalite), vital wheat gluten, fruits, salads, carrots, jam, some bottles of sparkling water, reusable water bottles (keeping cool), whatever I've been baking, ginger paste, opened tomato puree, my husband's chocolate (he likes it cold from the fridge), soy sauce, vegan worcester sauce, tahini, yeast, liquid smoke, lemon juice, lime juice

Freezer: Bread (I keep it in the freezer and take out slices when needed), pitta bread, crumpets, muffins, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, broad beans, sweetcorn, spinach, green beans, brussels, leftovers, tofu, usually some sausages (Linda McCartney), seitan, frozen summer fruits, a bag of frozen rhubarb that's been there since we first moved in, breadcrumbs

Those are I think all my "staples" which seem like a lot to be staples.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I think if I went through and listed everything it would take me an hour! I did count my dried herbs and spices a couple months ago when cleaning up. OVER 70. I HAVE A SPICE PROBLEM.

Recently my BF got us a white board, so that we could write down our staples when they ran out. Its worked pretty well, except I forget to write stuff down!

here are my main staples, that get used the most. There is a bunch of crepe in the back that I seldom use (looking at you tamale/corn husks!)

Spices: CUMIN!! Coriander, Mexican oregano, thyme, paprika, turmeric, garam masala, cumin seeds, chili powder, powdered garlic and onion

Pantry: too many hot sauces to list, tahini, red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, flax, rolled oats, chia seeds, molasses, tamarind concentrate, pomegranate molasses, canola & olive oil, cooking spray (so much cooking spray!), flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda (and I am not even much of a baker). Tomato paste, P2B, Cocoa powder, Trader Joes Marinara, a plethora of pastas and noodles. Oh and that 5 calorie agave.

Grains and Beans: Quinoa, millet, like 4 kinds of rice, black, navy, garbanzo and pinto beans. Polenta/cornmeal

Fridge: canned adobo chills, many misos, veganaise, earth balance, soy or almond milk, wine for cooking, pickles, ketchup, mustard, a lot of jarred sauces (schezuan, hoison, peanut etc) Daiya shreds, cold brew coffee, too much beer

Freezer: TJ's meatless meatballs, at least 1 frozen dinner or burrito in case of emergencies, lots of frozen rice and beans, almost always a curry or bean dish that is frozen, thin mint girl scout cookies, frozen peas and corn, LOTS of cashews, walnuts, peanuts. (+ lots of non-vegan cheap frozen dinners for my BF)

Produce I buy pretty much every week: bananas, mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, cucumbers, varying lettuce, carrots, and a TON of ginger, garlic and onions. I meal plan, but this stuff gets used all the time.

And there is always tofu or tempeh in there somewhere! and at least 4 different kinds of protein powder and some random bars