| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan hellmans mayo?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:53 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I'm visiting my in laws in upstate NY for the weekend and my FIL found vegan hellmans mayo. I'm sort of staring at it in disbelief but I can't find anything in it unvegan (food wise anyways)

It doesn't specifically state vegan but it advertises free of eggs and looking at the ingredients it looks vegan to me.

I took pics but I'm out in the boonies and just have my phone.

It's called "carefully crafted" and it was a lot cheaper than the Just Mayo reports my FIL.

Of course it's put out by Unilever who owns Hellmans so there is that and I can't remember was it hellmans that sued Just Mayo for using the word mayo?
There's thT too.

Anyways it's nice to have more options for the public at large.
I'll be sticking to my veganaise.

Post subject: Re: Vegan hellmans mayo?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:56 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Yeah I've bought it when I haven't been able to get in to a Vegenaise friendly store. But I don't really want to give Unilever my money as much as possible. And yeah, it was Hellmann's that sued Hampton Creek.

Plus I really prefer Vegenaise still. I feel like the vegan Hellmann's is too salty or something.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The hellman's is actually really good and super cheap. I hate to admit it. I've been keeping it around.

On the one hand, supporting them sticks in my craw a little, but on the other more mainstream vegan products is a win for everybody, plus it's nice to have a more affordable alternative. Not everybody can afford Vegenaise, even if they have access.

Low fat Vegenaise is still my preferred.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

You guys pretty much some up how I feel about it.

Based on your responses it sounds like it's been out for awhile?

I don't use much mayo so I guess it wouldn't have been on my radar.

I prefer the low fat veganaise which I can only find at WF but I've noticed sometimes at the other regular stores near me they started carrying one type of veganaise, usually the soy free one for some reason

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

A few months, I think. My mom found it at Walmart, which saved a trip to Wegmans (over an hour round trip, so inconvenient when I just want sandwich stuff and forgot I was nearly out).

I think they probably won't hurt Vegenaise much since they are such a core, beloved vegan product, but they will probably get others to try it, especially people on low cholesterol diets.

I would have bought it for sure when I was in college and couldn't afford $5.99 for Veganaise.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've been a Just Mayo fan since it came out, and after all the crepe Hellman's did in that situation, I can't support them. It is always good to have more mainstream vegan products out there, but I'm okay spending an extra buck or two to support companies who are making great strides for us instead of the ones who are suing those companies.

ETA: I realized as I hit "submit" that this sounds super judgey, and I don't mean it that way. This is just how I feel for me. I absolutely get that different people think differently and that not everyone has the same options available, or even the same tastes. I'm so not the vegan police type. Buy what you like and all that. :)

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

Last edited by zelavie on Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:59 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

So I'm not gonna lie, this Hellmann's is both evil and forking delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:25 pm 
Semen Strong

I just feel like they forked with a vegan company too much to get my paltry dollars. I like Just Mayo, and I'm able to spend a few dollars extra to support a company actively working to get vegan food into the mainstream and institutional settings.

I am grateful for a wealth of vegan products, but hope they don't push Just Mayo off the shelves at mainstream stores like Target.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

It would be nice if Target would widen their distribution of Just Mayo. The only Target that carries it is an hour from here. There are two others closer that have plenty of food items but don't stock it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:08 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Despite all the controversy I tried it and enjoyed it. I usually make my own mayo but like several of the vegan ones on the market. I liked that the Hellmans isn't watery at all, which sometimes Veganaise can be. There is also controversy surrounding Just Mayo too. It's hard to find a perfectly ethical company.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What's the controversy with justmayo? I have not heard of it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Hellmans were crassholes and tried to sue so JustMayo wouldn't be allowed to call themselves "mayo" on the grounds that mayo must contain eggs. Then, they came out with their own competing product.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's controversy around hellmans, what's with Just Mayo?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh, didn't know there was one other than the court case about their name.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Apparently they were paying a bunch of people to buy mass amounts of mayo to boost their sales numbers or something.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Here we go
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/busin ... .html?_r=0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:49 pm 

Huh, weird.

I do like Just Mayo and Veganaise better, but we only have one grocery store in town and it just carries the Hellmann's stuff. They are getting more and more vegan products in though, so hopefully that'll change soon.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hellmann's is $3.99 here and Vegenaise is $6.99. We don't have Just Mayo or any other vegan brand. I am not, in this case, wealthy enough to vote with my dollars, though I do usually make my own mayo. But if I can't, like very recently, I buy the stuff I can afford.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:53 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

vijita wrote:
Hellmann's is $3.99 here and Vegenaise is $6.99. We don't have Just Mayo or any other vegan brand. I am not, in this case, wealthy enough to vote with my dollars, though I do usually make my own mayo. But if I can't, like very recently, I buy the stuff I can afford.

See, I've only seen it priced that way when it first showed up at my Walmart. Otherwise the price difference is only about a dollar. I would totally be buying the Hellmann's at that price difference.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:47 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The entire justMayo article makes perfect sense. Very early on in a new food products lifespan for a new manufacturer, everything that can go wrong does. And it's great that the CEO guy says that. The label changes and by the time you print the new ones, it changes again. And then again. The new plastic container works differently than the old plastic container with the way the machine that applies the seal on the container does it's thing. The new lid or cap works differently than the old one when exposed to heat/cold. The whole process changes so much that now you have to retest the extended shelf life of the new version of the same item and that takes a LONG time. Time time time. And during the entire process, you try to launch in stores who won't carry you because you're not already in other stores and the distributors won't carry you because you're not in the stores that they sell to so now you can't sell to the stores which you need to do if you want to get into the distributors. Small new food companies are basically facing the ultimate catch-22.

If you can get into a distributor or if you can get a contract with a major retailer that does their own distribution like Target, you hold onto that and you don't mess with it. And if your containers have something wrong with the label or whatever because now their is something new about them, then you have the person who does the sampling that you're already paying to show up and sample buy all the products off of the shelf, perhaps even using those to sample with, while replacing with their own inventory stock of the "new stuff". Or you have that "new stuff" show up in advance of the product demonstration and then the old stuff is taken off the shelves by the sampler who then samples to sell the new stuff. The point is, all of this protects the little companies food distribution by keeping products moving because if they don't move they're gone and there are usually no second chances.

The majority of new food products fail. Only a tiny percentage survive. To me this isn't controversy, this is hype. The only thing which I find troubling in everything I heard and read in that Times article was that the lawsuit against the justMayo company was by 2 people who were sampling the products. That means there was a major disconnect between the leadership and policy of the company and whoever was executing the sampling program and piggybacking the sampling program with the buybacks. If ever there is cause for failure in a new food product, it seems to happen inside of the new food companies and from the top down. So that type of disconnect I find troubling.

I love how this company can set achievable goals. If Hellmans is forced to push mainstream their new eggless product copy and pull or significantly reduce the factory farm stuff, this company wins. If Hellmans is stubborn about any real change at all and this company carves out a sizeable portion of the marketshare, this company wins. As long as they don't go out of business, this company has the chance to force change. I'm interested and going to look into this more!

Wow, so much has changed in the last 5 years while I was stuck in a cave!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:31 pm 

vijita wrote:

I'd do the same in your situation.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:42 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Guess I've been wearing my mayonnaise blinders. I consume jars of Vegenaise at breakneck speed, but I didn't know about the Hellman's or Just Mayo until I saw this thread a few days ago. Ran out the next day to get a big jar of the Hellman's and it's basically gone. Mostly I've been scoffing it down just smeared on bread. So. Good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Another fan of Just Mayo here. Is the vegan Hellmanns better in texture or flavor? I find that hard to believe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

On a sandwich, I can't tell a huge difference between any of the three. Vegetati

ve is my favorite. It is thicker and I'm more used to it. The Hellmans is a bit thinner and might be closer to the traditional.

Hellmans did a good job on their recipe. I'd imagine people on a low cholesterol diet would get used to it pretty quickly.

They all pass my French fry test. I'm amazed we now have 3 delicious mayo options.

The hellmans might have shot at getting picked up by a chain like Subway or Panera. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:03 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I sometimes get the small squeeze size bottles of Just Mayo at Target (and I "just" discovered Just Mayo Light and Just Mayo Thousand Island dressing and have died and gone to heaven lol). They are MUCH cheaper for those who only use mayo once in a while and can't afford the price of the larger sizes of vegan mayo. I used to get the small size bottles of Just Mayo at the Dollar store but when the whole Just Mayo being sued fiasco took place the Dollar Store pulled them off the shelf. :/ I was just about to start ordering the small size Just mayo jars online when I accidentally discovered Target sells them.

I like Vegannaise too but it has a more tangy taste to it in my experience, sort of like Miracle Whip. I have also made various versions of my own mayo, from the soymilk technique to the tofu mayo to blending almonds, cider vinegar, and light coconut milk with a pinch of turmeric. I've done that with cashews too, and hands down the nut based homemade mayo is my favorite (I use it for raw Waldorf salads or chickpea salad sandwiches), but I can't leave it alone so I don't make it often (plus nuts are not cheap either, even in bulk).