| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan hellmans mayo?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:46 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Grabbed a soon-to-expire tub for under a buck from Grocery Outlet today. Will report back after potato salad and ranch happens. I feel weird about the purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I tried the Hellmans and actually thought it was gross, as did the spouse, BUT for those who like it but feel guilty about buying it, I read an interview with the Just Mayo guy where he was asked about it and was pretty much like "fork yeah! The more plant based foods on the market the better!"

twitter/instagram @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I tried the Hellmans and actually thought it was gross, as did the spouse, BUT for those who like it but feel guilty about buying it, I read an interview with the Just Mayo guy where he was asked about it and was pretty much like "fork yeah! The more plant based foods on the market the better!"

That is a truly admirable response, and it makes me like the company even more.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

We can't get Just Mayo here, yet, and so having another option to Vegenaise is good. The little grocery stores and non-urban ones are less likely to have Vegenaise (I know for sure you can't get it in the Sobeys in East Jeddore) but they might stock the new Hellman's with the other Hellman's.

I'm on a tight budget right now and with a coupon got the Hellman's for $2. I like it. I don't usually eat a huge amount of mayo and find Vegenaise gets watery part way through a jar.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:14 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Airsaig, since I became privy to the existence of vegan Hellmans, I've seen in on sale at Superstore almost every time I go!

I worked in the health food industry for a long time and the evolution (and devolution?) of the FYH pricing in Canada makes no sense. You can find Vegenaise at a lot of places now, not just specialty stores, but it's MORE expensive than it was at those stores when it was already considered crazy expensive. Just doesn't make sense since every US vegan product that distributes to Canada always goes down in price when demand picks up (and it does, basically for everything). FYH blocks might have taken a demand cut when Daiya happened, but so much so that they are more expensive now by $1-2?

They have Vegenaise at the Sobeys and Superstores here in the valley, but they are usually two bucks more expensive than the HRM, which is insane, as it's already way overpriced there.

I have to stick to a budget, and my sometimes roommate likes mayo. Budget-wise Hellmenns is the only option, so I appreciate that it exists. I am not the type to eat mayo enough to do side-by-side comparisons in taste but I think I liked Just Mayo and would welcome it here in Canada!

(OMG thank god Nayonnaise seems to have disappeared)

ETA: Miso Mayo was my favourite in SF! I don't remember it being too expensive. Bring that to Canada!