| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October PPK Challenge: There She Glows!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:23 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

October is here, the weather is getting cooler and the promise of more sweets and baked goods are on the horizon in a big way. If you’re like me, you might be concerned about keeping your diet balanced and healthy over the next few months – or maybe not.

In October, oh…. We glow (might just be glow in the dark face paint, though)!

In October, take your pick. The original Oh She Glows book, Oh She Glows Everyday, the app, or Angela’s blog. Lots to choose from! And a real challenge for me as her recipes are not the first ones I reach for on a regular basis. And sorry for the super late posting - I literally realized this morning that October is tomorrow!

Not feeling this challenge? That's cool too. Choose your own adventure, and let us know how it goes! And if you've not joined in on a challenge yet, feel free to jump in. Use the #ppkcooks2016 hashtag to share your doings!

Previous months:
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September

Post subject: Re: October PPK Challenge: There She Glows!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:10 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Ooohhhh I love Oh She Glows, but I haven't cooked from there in a while. Very excited for this; great choice!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Awesome idea! I don't have the books but I have a lot of recipes bookmarked from the blog that I've been anxious to try (I don't remember the actual names, but the creamy tomato coconut soup and the thai veggie burgers are two that I keep meaning to make). The only thing I've actually made so far is the chickpea pancake recipe which I've used as a base for a ton of meals with whichever different veggies and seasonings I feel like.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:09 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Love her recipes! If anyone is looking for recs from her new book, the marinated Italian tofu was amazing and SO convenient (I literally just left it sitting in the marinade all week in the fridge to use in lunches). I also made the triple almond cookies and they were good.

I've followed her for years and made a ton of her recipes, but here are some of my faves, most of which I have made repeatedly: [ETA: Most of these are available on the blog in some form, though there might be a tweaked version in her book. Only the pudding cake doesn't appear on the blog at all, as far as I know.]
The chickpea bbq veggie burgers
The 10 spice vegetable soup - similar to the Moosewood gypsy soup
The avocado pasta (this is really good on black bean noodles)
The apple-walnut lentil loaf (I make this every thanksgiving, highly recommend using Trader Joe's cranberry apple butter in the sauce if you can find it)
The one-bowl chocolate cookies, but I use peanut butter instead of sunflower butter
The gluten free snickerdoodles
The gluten free buckwheat pancakes. I just use the base pancake recipes with whatever toppings I feel like. (I think they are on the blog as "strawberries and cream pancakes" or something like that.)
Chocolate pudding cake from the book (I've made this twice, once with Bob's Red Mill oat flour and once with homemade food processor oat flour. I highly recommend purchasing the oat flour. With the homemade, the texture was almost oatmealy.)

I think I'm going to try either the 6-veggie cheese soup or the spicy cabbage soup from the new book this weekend, depending on which veggies look good at the store tomorrow. I also want to get into the cookies chapter and try either the brownies or the flourless almond or peanut butter cookies. I may also try the mac and peas - I've never made a potato and carrot cheese sauce before.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

There's an App?!? I feel so out of the loop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:43 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i requested both cookbooks from my library system and will go through her blog. i think i have a couple of her blog recipes printed out somewhere

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Aha! For the first time I am early for the challenge! I have 2 OSG recipes planned for this week - the Big Vegan Bowl and the Roasted Buddha Bowl. Both new to me - I scanned through her archives in search for something weeknight-friendly. Looking forward to what everyone will make!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I may also go rogue because I have a beans from around the world cookbook checked out this month and the waiting list for oh she glows is huge.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:12 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

When I read this I went to the library website to put the new book on hold - there are 10 copies, all checked out, and 71 people waiting! This is bad news for me but awesome news for vegan cooking.

I own the original so will browse through this afternoon as the rain has cancelled my group hike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Arisaig wrote:
When I read this I went to the library website to put the new book on hold - there are 10 copies, all checked out, and 71 people waiting! This is bad news for me but awesome news for vegan cooking.

I own the original so will browse through this afternoon as the rain has cancelled my group hike

I know! I am also way back on the list, I bought a copy for my old roommate so I might borrow hers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:14 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I made the espresso almond butter cookies from OSG Every Day and wasn't a fan. They just didn't turn out for me - there was too much liquid in the batter somehow (I wrote more under the thread for the book on the cookbooks forum).

Today I plan to make the best kale salad (if I can find a lemon), the cabbage soup, and the cheese sauce all from the same book.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can't seem to place an interlibrary loan/hold, and I'm not sure why. The original book is available in a library I don't feel like commuting to. . . The new one has too many holds even if I went that route, ha.

So I guess I'll have to use the site if I decide to play along!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:44 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I really encourage people to use the blog and report back since I don't think I've ever made a blog recipe of hers! Would love recommendations :)

Made the enchiladas from the first books tonight. Burned the spices for the sauce. Still tasted fine. Really found myself wishing it was the enchilada casserole from IDI, which it categorically was NOT.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:02 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

HA, I already started this challenge unintentionally! Made the 6 vegetable & cheese soup from OSG Every Day today. Very similar to the blog recipe. Pretty good!

I've also made the pear vanilla mint smoothie (yum!) and the creamsicle smoothie (eh) from the new book.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am currently scouting the blog for some kinda falafel style recipe (narrowed it down to three!) I will make one tomorrow and report back!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Fun! I used to cook from her blog a ton. Then I feel like she stopped posting so much, and I got out of the habit of checking. But I love a lot of her recipes.

Recommendations for people who haven't used the blog

These banana oat bars are probably the thing I make the most- http://ohsheglows.com/2010/12/24/health ... -oat-bars/ My kids eat the heck out of them. They are really versatile in that you can add and omit the fruits, nuts, and coconut to your taste. I also cut the sugar in half, and they are plenty sweet.

Tomato Basil Cream Pasta is the thing I make most for omnis- http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/10/easy-t ... eam-pasta/

Other winners-
http://ohsheglows.com/2013/08/27/sun-dr ... fu-quiche/
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/08/30/vegan-tortilla-soup/
http://ohsheglows.com/2012/08/21/easy-r ... ws-awards/ (Just the cashew cheese. not a fan of tortilla pizzas)
http://ohsheglows.com/2014/10/07/pumpki ... -oil-free/
http://ohsheglows.com/2014/09/02/toffee ... uten-free/
http://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/18/tex-me ... guacamole/
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/11/17/holida ... naigrette/

So for dinner tonight, I made the cashew cheese from the recipe I linked above, mixed it with a block of tofu, and made a basil cashew ricotta that I used as a filling in lasagna. It was so good! I think it might have been better with more veggies, but I was hoping to get my kids to eat it. Alas, they didn't eat it anyway, so next time I'll make it the way I want to.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLFazdyjFzr ... davi_on_ig

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon, the following recipes from the blog are in my usual weeknight rotation:

Smoky Butternut Squash Sauce with Pasta and Greens

Italian Bean Balls & Spaghetti Squash Noodles except on real pasta because I don't like to be hungry. These bean balls have a lot of veggies in them so they're quite light.

Glowing Green “Pasta” Primavera except also on real pasta

Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

I don't make dessert very often but I quite liked this: Gooey Pumpkin Spice Latte Chocolate Pudding Cake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:15 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The fastest sprouted steel cut oats from the new book is fantastic! Comes together in 10 minutes in the morning, which is a feat for steel cut oats. Love the idea to toast the soaked oats in coconut oil first, it really takes this over the top. It was plenty sweet with the mashed banana, so I'm glad I omitted the optional sugar.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:52 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

kidsdoc wrote:
The fastest sprouted steel cut oats from the new book is fantastic! Comes together in 10 minutes in the morning, which is a feat for steel cut oats. Love the idea to toast the soaked oats in coconut oil first, it really takes this over the top. It was plenty sweet with the mashed banana, so I'm glad I omitted the optional sugar.

Oooh, I'm gonna try this - thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

B_A_D wrote:
I am currently scouting the blog for some kinda falafel style recipe (narrowed it down to three!) I will make one tomorrow and report back!

I've made the baked falafel from her blog, and I really liked them! It's been a few years though, I should really make them again. http://ohsheglows.com/2012/07/16/falafel-with-a-twist/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:40 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Ok so, Mr Moon has declared the mac and peas from OSG2 our new go-to cheesey mac recipe! This is big news as his favourite meal is mac and cheese and he is pretty opinionated about which ones he likes best.

I think this is my first potato/carrot based cheese sauce - I like that there is some cashews, but not a ton. It is pretty flavourful as written and wouldn't take much doctoring up for slightly different flavours. It was pretty easy to make ahead and kept nicely in the fridge.

I added just a splash of almond milk to help it cover all the noodles since it was pretty thick, to no detriment of flavour. Probably wouldn't have had to if Mr Moon hadn't been sneaking samples from the tupperware.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLHupyRhVVS/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:37 am 
BAD PASS

Dangit! I loaned Appetite for Reduction and Oh She Glows to my newly vegan coworker a few months ago and she still has them! I guess this gives me an opportunity to be like "Oh, hey...I sorta need my books back because THERE'S A PPK CHALLENGE and I need them please?" I am so bad at asking people things without sounding like a jerk. Even when they're my own things.

But. I feel like I'm a little tapped out on the original OSG, and I don't have the second one yet, so I should probably get on her blog and see what I can find.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:08 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I just happened to check both of her books out of the library recently....so unintentionally, I was prepared. Last night I made the Sweet Potato Creamy Casserole from her latest book. Though, checking out her blog, I saw the recipe there:

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/11/04/saweet-potato-casserole-with-a-crunchy-nut-crumble-vegan-gf/

It was good, but needed more salt. Husband loves it. Would be a great side for Thanksgiving. Not so bright pic here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLHx6ZMgZZX/?taken-by=cocoamandyk

Right now I have the Italian Marinated Tofu marinating for dinner in a salad tonight. Looking forward to it. Also from the book, but might be on the web site. I haven't looked yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have these guys here in the oven http://ohsheglows.com/2010/10/28/crispy-chickpea-bites-in-the-oven/

They kinda seem like hummus that you bake and were really sticky so I am hesitant. It also makes 8 tiny patties, so in the future I think I will double it because they hardly seem worth the effort. 30 mins seems like a long time so I am gonna keep checking on them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:29 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I made a few more things from OSG Every Day...
The best shredded kale salad: This was good. Definitely use the maple syrup, maybe a little extra. The kale is holding up well in the fridge but the pecan parmesan was definitely best the first day.
Metabolism boosting cabbage soup: I'm not sure if my metabolism is boosted but this was good at least. More cabbage-y than lentil-y, but very good flavor. I might add more veggies next time. I used the 10-spice seasoning from her last book instead of the 9-spice from this book because I had some made already and noticed that they are very similar.
Mac and peas: Loved the texture of the potato-carrot sauce (it kind of reminds me of the boxed velveeta mac I used to eat), and that it's a little lighter on fat than a fully cashew-based sauce. The flavor was very mild, which to be fair, the recipe does warn you. I added a little dollop of dijon, a pinch of onion powder, and some extra nooch to the sauce for flavor, and it was still mild. I might experiment with using this base for cheese sauce but adding seasonings that are more similar to more flavorful cheese sauces I have had.