| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: October PPK Challenge: There She Glows!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So despite my concerns the crispy chickpea bites were pretty tasty, I think I would make double batch next time because you have to clean the food processor which doesn't seem worth it for 8 falafels. They did get crispy even without breadcrumbs and were great for lunch today as well. 2tbs of chopped red onion was a bit of an annoying ingredient but the results were decent so I might just improvise off this recipe in the future.

I had them for diner last nightwith leftover cucumber raitata and tumeric rice

Today for lunch after pysio, just dry pan fried them in the cast iron on pita and more leftover veg/cucumber raita and pickles which made the difference. I also broke them up so they were a bit easy to fit into my pita and this means I managed to squeeze 3 wraps instead of 2 out of them.

I also made the apple pie oatmeal this morning, which was really good and only used 1/3 cup of rolled oats (I used flaked cause thats what i had) and it let me use up some of my abundance of apples. The Chia seeds and apple sauce made it both filling and refreshing way less heavy then my usual oatmeal. Instagram photo. I found some whole walnuts and slivered almonds to give it some texture.

Both were successful and I will probably come back to the oatmeal or a variation there of.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the PSPetc thread, but here goes:

After the stupid library website rejecting my attempts to place holds multiple times, I got fed up. I made note of the library with a copy available and decided to go on the way home from school. It was. . out of the way, but it was near a freeway, so no big deal. Also, sidenote: it's the nicest library we seem to have in the county and I was pretty shocked by it. The one I frequent is inside of a 1970s-type "mall" which has more businessy places than stores or restaurants. If that makes sense. So yeah: not super fancy. But this one was hella nice, with clearly divided sections and awesome seating.

ANYWHO I got there and didn't see it with the other veggie books. Went over to one of the fancy little tablets on every other shelf (!!!) to check where it might be and. . . yep. Between me checking that morning and that moment, it was on transit to another location for a hold. SIGH.

So I guess I'll be trolling here for a while for blog ideas before participating, heh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:57 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I made the glowing spiced lentil soup last night and GUYS. It is SO GOOD. I ate two bowls, which was definitely more than I needed. But it was so good! And so easy! I think I've found a new go-to option for soup, which is super exciting. I wish I had had some crusty bread for dipping in the broth, because I think that would have just been deliriously delightful.

I have no pictures, but I feel like everyone has seen it a million times before!

I'm going to do some more cooking this weekend and I am excited :)

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

DarthCupcake wrote:
I made the glowing spiced lentil soup last night and GUYS. It is SO GOOD. I ate two bowls, which was definitely more than I needed. But it was so good! And so easy! I think I've found a new go-to option for soup, which is super exciting. I wish I had had some crusty bread for dipping in the broth, because I think that would have just been deliriously delightful.

I have no pictures, but I feel like everyone has seen it a million times before!

I'm going to do some more cooking this weekend and I am excited :)

I might have to add that one to my list!

I made the best ever shredded kale salad and mixed it with my leftover cucumber raita because it was a bit too tart (I might of had a bit less kale then 8-9 cups? I dunno). It was a pretty easy and hearty salad, I served it with the cashew raita and gardein chicken w/bbq sauce to bulk it up into a meal. It does however use a mini food processor, so clean up was a little eh.

Salad made per instructions
Salad bumped up into a meal and bulked tossing in the cashew cucumber raita helped blend out the flavors and make it a bit richer. I also added hemp hearts and the bbq baked vegan chicken.

I am eyeing the apple breakfast cake and lentil loaf for additional recipes to try.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:49 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Ooohhhh the salad with the chickn added looks awesome!

I want to try lentil loaf. I love loaves! Will add that to my docket :D

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:55 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Mentioned this upthread but I LOVE the lentil loaf. It's my contribution to Thanksgiving every year (and the omnis eat it as a side, my mom loves it).

It's also fun to make it in large muffin tins for individual loaves.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yaylentils wrote:
Mentioned this upthread but I LOVE the lentil loaf. It's my contribution to Thanksgiving every year (and the omnis eat it as a side, my mom loves it).

It's also fun to make it in large muffin tins for individual loaves.

I am in the process of making it now! Question for those who have tried it before, do you drain the lentils? or mash them with the liquid I added about 1/2 cup during the cooking but the blog doesn't specify if they are drained before being mashed or not?

Lentils are currently sitting in the pot, I figured I would start early so I could slowly prep all the ingredients.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Moon! How can we continue the challenges? These are so great.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:21 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I guess we could still just post on Instagram, although it will be more of a pain for me to post the monthly theme!

I suppose I could post on the facebook group too - I don't use facebook that much anymore.

Basically, right now I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I will try to mull it over a bit tomorrow.

And thanks, BAD, I'm glad you enjoy them. I really enjoy coming up with them and sharing with you guys and seeing what everyone makes. I'm really, super sad right now.

Also how else am I going to find out about new cookbooks?! I buy what you guys tell me to buy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am just so overwhelmed and sad. I don't use FB much but I restarted it (moon are we FB friends?!) ever time I start crying I think about another great memory or thread or thing I would share with the ppk and I start all over again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:59 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

So I've been stalking this challenge all year. Now that my baby is 7 months old, I finally can cook/bake some more!!! I've made the glowing lentil soup twice now. It is soooo good and easy and even my picky Omni husband loved it. I also made the salted chocolate hemp shake. That was great, loved the salt addition. Might add chia seeds to make it a bit thicker. I'm so sad about the PPK I also look up these threads and pick out which recipes to make. Moon, you must continue it! Please!!!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Moon wrote:
I guess we could still just post on Instagram, although it will be more of a pain for me to post the monthly theme!

I suppose I could post on the facebook group too - I don't use facebook that much anymore.

Basically, right now I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I will try to mull it over a bit tomorrow.

And thanks, BAD, I'm glad you enjoy them. I really enjoy coming up with them and sharing with you guys and seeing what everyone makes. I'm really, super sad right now.

Also how else am I going to find out about new cookbooks?! I buy what you guys tell me to buy.

We could move it to Reddit? I can help out if you need!

I loved seeing stuff with the tags on IG and twitter, but I really like the text based telling us what you really thought part where we can kinda talk more. IG and Twitter are great too, but it feels a bit more 1 on 1 ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:01 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Has anyone made the walnut apple lentil loaf? How did you freeze it? She mentions wrapping it, in cling wrap?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made my first two recipes for this thread. i made the coriander cumin roasted carrots with coriander cumin tahini sauce and the red lential dal with cilantro flecked.

i really liked the carrots because roasted carrots are just yum. the sauce is definitely a strong flavor but it was good and went well with the carrots

the dal was a bit bland. i should have added more salt before serving it but it was easy to make and pretty good.

the dal is on the blog and maybe in the book (not sure.)
http://ohsheglows.com/2015/10/12/golden-red-lentil-dal-with-cilantro-speckled-basmati/

the carrots are in the books.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

B_A_D wrote:
Moon wrote:

We could move it to Reddit? I can help out if you need!

I loved seeing stuff with the tags on IG and twitter, but I really like the text based telling us what you really thought part where we can kinda talk more. IG and Twitter are great too, but it feels a bit more 1 on 1 ?

I love this idea. Then it'll be like now - forum + IG, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

I (accidentally) participated in the challenge tonight! It is a wee bit stormy in Oregon tonight so I asked my husband what he wanted for dinner and he said "baked pasta thing." So I made these!

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/03/13/jumbo-stuffed-shells/

I used a Muir Glen cabernet tomato sauce and piled on some FYH mozz and it was deeeelicious. Why have I not made stuffed shells before??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:06 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

The 6 vegetable soup from OSG2 was... only ok. Like, it was fine. It was easy to make. I added a ton of extra nooch to try to make it "cheesey" and it wasn't. But on a night that I want soup I can think of all kinds of other recipes I would make instead. Still holding out hope for that cabbage soup, though. That should come this week.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLV2YjNBDVd/

Sweet potato, chickpea and spinach coconut curry. Was good. Really good, really easy. The spices were nicely balanced, and as written it had a nice bit of heat but could have more if you wanted. Would be a great meal for guests that you're not sure of their diet preferences since it's very non-threatening, and could be a good "beginner" curry. I may have leftovers for breakfast.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLkHyHEhOta/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:56 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

That's disappointing about the 6 vegetable soup. I was planning to make it this week because I've been craving comfort foods. I'll see if my intuitive cooking powers suggest anything to me to add flavor while I'm making it.

Some random plugs for blog recipes I've made repeatedly, though not this month:
These burgers: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/07/03/spicy- ... ked-fries/
These cookies (I make them with peanut butter for a chocolate pb flavor), SO good: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/02/27/one-bo ... k-cookies/

I'm eyeing the banoffee pie for next week:
http://ohsheglows.com/2015/04/04/banoff ... new-roots/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive made a few things over the past couple days. i made the creamy cashew curry and it was good. too spicy for me because i used this unidentified long spicy pepper in it but otherwise good. i was a bit wary because it doesnt use coconut milk or any broth. just cashews and a small amount of water to make cashew cream with but it came out fine. just not as saucy as some other curries. i think i added a bit of water to it so it wouldnt stick to the pot

it was in the book.

i also made the glowing spiced lentil soup from the blog. that one is YUM!
http://ohsheglows.com/2016/04/03/glowing-spiced-lentil-soup/

i really liked it and am keeping the recipe for myself but my husband who is pretty unpicky but doesnt like tomatoes or Indian food said it was "too Indiany" and "too tomatoey" and didnt really like it.
i say poo on him

i also made the simple butternut squash salad from the blog
http://ohsheglows.com/2015/10/20/a-simple-roasted-butternut-squash-salad/

it was kind of boring and bland. not bad. the squash is good but otherwise there's nto much flavor. there's no dressing on it other than some lemon juice. i probably wouldn't bother making it again

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've finally starting participating this month.

Saturday I made the Morning Glory smoothie from the first book. I used regular water. It was a tasty, straight-forward strawberry smoothie:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLla_G2lqJm/

Saturday night was the Smoky Butternut Pasta with Greens from the blog, https://www.instagram.com/p/BLmoRZBFf8W/ This was yummy. I roasted almost 4lbs of squash and barely needed half to get the 2cups needed for the sauce. I added sauteed kale and I decreased the pasta to 8oz. These were somewhat small servings though. I think it would be better with some more stuff added in, maybe sausage? Like Moon, I prefer Isa's Butternut Alfredo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Zula wrote:
I've finally starting participating this month.

Saturday I made the Morning Glory smoothie from the first book. I used regular water. It was a tasty, straight-forward strawberry smoothie:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLla_G2lqJm/

Saturday night was the Smoky Butternut Pasta with Greens from the blog, https://www.instagram.com/p/BLmoRZBFf8W/ This was yummy. I roasted almost 4lbs of squash and barely needed half to get the 2cups needed for the sauce. I added sauteed kale and I decreased the pasta to 8oz. These were somewhat small servings though. I think it would be better with some more stuff added in, maybe sausage? Like Moon, I prefer Isa's Butternut Alfredo.

I think that is what I will try and make if I can find cheap squash!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:04 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I will definitely keep participating on Instagram. Should we watch the #ppkcooks2016 hashtag for new challenges (I know November will be Vegan Mofo stuff)?

A question for instagram participants...would you guys be interested in reading the full recipe reviews and comments on insta or more of a short, normal instagram post? I agree that I love that exchange of info so I'm happy to provide it, but it's a lot of text to type with my thumbs if people aren't reading looonnngg insta comments.

In any case, I will be dumping all of my October pics soon on my account @sarahg_sd. (Warning for those viewing my account, if you scroll back several months there are occasional pictures of eggs or dairy in case that bothers anyone.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I like reading them, but I get that not everyone wants to have long Instagram comments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made the Roasted Chickpeas from the first book. I would've rather tried the s&v ones first, but I didn't think they would go with the bowl I was using them in. Roasted chickpeas are usually a disappoint to me, partly because they're not crunchy enough & partly because they lack flavor. My husband & I both really, really liked this combo of garlic & onion, they had tons of flavor. I'll probably make them regularly now for salads and bowls.

Ooooh boy, I made the Pumpkin Gingerbread muffins from the blog. https://www.instagram.com/p/BLtGTMSFwYe/ While the pumpkin makes them extremely moist, I don't think the flavor comes through. For using blackstrap molasses I think the gingerbread flavor was a bit light (I just made the gingerbread waffles from VB the other day & they had a stronger flavor using light molasses), however they are delicate & moist & delectable!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:56 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Last night I made the African Peanut Stew from the first book: https://www.instagram.com/p/BLw9O_mAb1A/

I'm used to VotC's peanut stew and this one had a much stronger tomato taste than I was anticipating. The peanut butter smell came through strongly, but the flavor did not. However, I accidentally used crushed tomatoes instead of diced, so that was probably my problem. I did love all of the veggies in this and it was warming and satisfying- perfect for Autumn. I served it over some brown rice & kale (which I couldn't mix in because I ran out of room in the pot!)