| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foolproof apple pie for non-bakers?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:17 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I went apple-picking with my kid last week and now the kid is all about making an apple pie. However, I totally suck at baking! Pretty sure if I tried to make some dough it would come out terrible.

Can anyone recommend a really foolproof recipe, preferably with some store bought shortcuts? For ex, I'm pretty sure we can get a vegan pie crust in the frozen section at Whole Foods. But I don't know if that will work for apple pie? I think there are also accidentally vegan graham cracker/cookie crusts that you can get at regular grocery stores...again not sure if those work.

But then you need to put a layer of pastry on top right? So even if I buy a pie crust, a true apple pie needs some sort of dough topping. UGH. I bought pretty much every isa & terry book except the pie one because I can't even. Should I just try for a crumble?

I would super appreciate any help for an easy apple pie recipe!

Post subject: Re: Foolproof apple pie for non-bakers?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:22 pm 

OK I definitely posted "Whole Foods" and it came out "Whole Foods". I don't believe that was autocorrect, I proofread my email before I posted. What is up with that? We can't call it Whole Foods?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:25 pm 

WOW. That is so weird. I typed several times:

Whole P.A.Y.C.H.E.C.K.

and it autocorrected to Whole Foods?
What is even going on with this website anymore?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have no experience with store-bought pie crust. I suppose the problem is that it's already cooked, so it could burn by the time the apples are cooked? I don't know, but I think it would be OK. But for the topping, you could make a crumb topping (a kind of streusel) instead of a dough topping. You can simply mix Earth Balance with oats, flour and sugar (cinnamon if you want), then cover the pie with it. Two knives or a pastry cutter work best for incorporating the EB into the dry ingredients. Or you can google "dutch apple pie" for a recipe or use any crumble topping recipe.

Last edited by Minatomachi on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:31 pm 

Whole Foods

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:35 pm 

WHOA. I just typed in again in that last post "whole p.a.y.c.h.e.c.k." (without the periods) and it autocorrected to whole foods!!! I didn't believe it would happen here so I had to try it several times, like is it just me?

What is going on with this censorship?!?!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't know that store, but from what I gather from the Net, Whole P.a.y.c.h.e.c.k is a mocking nickname for Whole F.o.o.d.s?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:46 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

buy 2 store bought frozen regular crusts. they aren't already baked. you can fill one, then let the second one thaw and turn it upside down ontop of the pie to make the top crust. Or you can make a crumb topping easily.

this betty crocker recipe is a solid standard apple pie filling recipe and you can follow the baking instructions here, too.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/scr ... 17bdbe05e0

if you don't want to do the double crust thing, this is a good topping recipe:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/dut ... 57390e947b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:50 pm 

Minatomachi wrote:
I don't know that store, but from what I gather from the Net, Whole P.a.y.c.h.e.c.k is a mocking nickname for Whole F.o.o.d.s?

Yes because they are super expensive for vegan food.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... ced-stores

I just went there yesterday to buy things I can't get anywhere else for my son who is allergic to dairy and soy and one brown bag full cost $40+ so their "promotions" aren't working.

I just can't even believe this site would be so specific as to prevent that nickname from being mentioned. Some mod had to go in here and prevent us from saying "whole p.a.y.c.h.e.c.k" Unbelievable!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:52 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Maybe it's partly so non-Americans like me can understand more accurately what is being discussed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:54 pm 

You know, it was probably just a joke that we did one time in the context of a specific thread and then it was forgotten about so it just stayed. generally, all the filters are for comedic purposes, not censorship. anyway, the boards are being shut down, so it won't be a probably much longer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:54 pm 

I hope so. I hope there is a good reason. I am friends with Terry on facebook and alerted her so hopefully we'll get some answers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:57 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I'm looking into it, Aubade. I won't rest until I have an answer for you, or until the boards shut down.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:58 pm 

Aubade wrote:
I hope so. I hope there is a good reason. I am friends with Terry on facebook and alerted her so hopefully we'll get some answers.

that's cool, but seriously, the boards are going to be closing, so i don't think there's much point in changing these things now. i guarantee it's not malicious.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:58 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
You know, it was probably just a joke that we did one time in the context of a specific thread and then it was forgotten about so it just stayed. generally, all the filters are for comedic purposes, not censorship. anyway, the boards are being shut down, so it won't be a probably much longer.

Yeah I guess this was coming..not much going on lately. You're probably right it was some silly joke.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:00 pm 

Sad face about the boards closing though! Not much else to replace it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:29 pm 

damn now i'm reading all the closing threads which i totally didn't get last time i posted 2 weeks ago. i wish i could delete this thread. mods?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:47 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Is that ijustdiedinside or ijustdiedinsideawholefoods?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:02 pm 
Semen Strong

I make the Vegan Pie in the Sky Apple Cream Raisin pie with premade frozen crust, and it's amazing.

I don't know if it's an option for you, but the Apple Crisp is so easy L (nearly 5) can really do a lot of the work, so we often do that, and then cover it with custard. The pie tastes way better, but she loves being really involved in the crisp.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:11 am 
Saggy Butt

* Chop 2-4 apples into slices (maybe peel them first if you don't like them unpeeled)
* mix together some cup of rolled oats, about half a cup of brown sugar (or white if you prefer, but I like the slightly caramel taste of brown sugar here...) and about half a cup of margarine (or vegan butter or whatever you prefer) and about half a teaspoon ground cinnamon with your fingers
* put the apples into a pie form, top with the mixture and bake about half an hour in about 180 degrees Celsius which should be about 356 degrees Fahrenheit according to google. It shouldn't be too dark.

A very basic recipe which you can vary indefinitely, for example putting half of the mixture into the form first, then the apples and then the rest of the mixture. Or replacing about half a cup of oats with wheat flour or glutenfree mix.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:12 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Wholly Wholesome makes frozen vegan pie crusts that haven't been cooked, they're just flat circles - so you can use them for top and bottom crusts. They're for 9-inch pie pans though - a lot of my recipes call for 10-inch. I keep them around for quick improvised pot pies.

If you happen to have a food processor, though, pie crust isn't all that hard to make (speaking as a former crust-making-phobe who would still be very unlikely to attempt it any other way). I highly recommend reading up on some basic troubleshooting issues - keeping all ingredients cold, that sort of thing - and giving it a shot. My early efforts weren't very pretty, but tasted AMAZING.