| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food poisoning?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:29 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My husband, toddler, and I all had the same thing for dinner last night, but my husband was up all night exactly 3 hours after dinner, vomiting and with diarrhea. I made black beans from scratch. I did a quick 10 minute soak in warm water, rinsed them and picked through them, and cooked them in my crockpot on high for 3 hours. They probably sat on warm for an hour or two. They were definitely cooked all the way, so I don't THINK it was the black beans, but his symptoms sound an awful lot like I gave him uncooked or improperly soaked beans!! My son and I are fine, though.

Thoughts??

Post subject: Re: Food poisoning?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:34 am 
Saggy Butt

If it was food poisoning he might have gotten it from something else he ate or came in contact with earlier that day, which you might still come down with any time now, if you all ate the same things. But if the beans were soft enough, they weren't improperly cooked, and if they were 1/2 raw he would have had a lot of gas and cramping, but no vomiitng . If it is a viral thing going around, you and your son may get it in another day or two.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:11 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Everything we all ate that day was pretty harmless. He had frozen waffles, a bagel w/ Daiya, field roast sausage, and then within two hours of eating the beans, violently ill! I thought black beans had a little big of toxicity to them just not as much as say, kidney beans?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Things like norovirus can take a few days to show up so it could be that, if he was exposed at work or wherever. You wouldn't know if you caught it until mid-week maybe. Undercooked black beans don't have as much of the toxicity as kidney beans, not by a long way, and if it was the beans I'd expect you or at least your son to get sick too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:59 am 
Total Hoover

Don't some people have that reaction to Daiya? That even if they aren't allergic to the individual ingredients, they can't tolerate the combination or quantity of them?

Also food poisoning can take ages to show up- it could have been something he ate a while ago. Either spoiled food, or himself or a cook/food server not washing their hands properly. The autumn magazine for my union had an article about an environmental health officer which mentioned food poisoning.
Rosa Ellis for Unison Magazine Autumn 2016 wrote:
Recently a doctors' surgery in Stevenage needed help from Jo and the team. They said very young children were coming into the surgery with symptoms of salmonella. Jo got on the case and found out that the toddlers all attended the same nursery. After inspecting the nursery they thought they found their culprit. And it wasn't the nursery canteen. [...] The team found that the nursery had a pet tortoise. Poor Queenie was infected with salmonella, and whenever the children played with her she was shedding bacteria onto them. Luckily all the children were fine. The nursery was given guidance on keeping pets, and Queenie was treated and moved to a new home.
I told Jo and Scott I thought salmonella came from eggs and they laughed and promptly gave me a lesson in food poisoning that quashed everything I thought I knew.
Think it was that dodgy Chinese you ate last night? It wasn't. Apparently most food poisoning is caused by something you ate up to two weeks ago, and sometimes even longer. Campylobacter (the most common cause of bacterial foodborn illness) takes 10 days to gestate in your gut and it can take 30 days for you to feel the impact of listeria, a bacterium that causes a serious infection called listeriosis. Sometimes food isn't even the culprit. If you visited a farm or gone swimming in the last few weeks and you're feeling poorly you should consider that a possible cause too.

As Jill and Vixki have said, it could be a bug picked up at work, public transport, son's childcare, or any social event or public place. Hopefully he is recovered now?