We are both vegan 38%  38%  [ 67 ]
We are both vegetarian 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
SO is vegetarian, and I am vegan 13%  13%  [ 24 ]
I am vegetarian, and SO is vegan 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
SO is an omni, and I am vegan 40%  40%  [ 71 ]
SO is an omni, and I am vegetarian 6%  6%  [ 11 ]
I am omni, and SO is vegan/vegetarian 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 178
 Post subject: Are you and your SO both veg?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm just curious as to how many vegetarians/vegans have an SO who eats the same way they do. If not, do you have to cook separate dinners or are they happy eating veg at home? Does it annoy you at a restaurant if they order say, a steak?

Both me and my husband are mostly vegan. I say mostly because we are not 100% strict when it comes to restaurants having hidden non-vegan ingredients in seemingly vegan things. I think it would be really tough for me if he was still omni.

Last edited by sunnybear on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Are you and your SO both veg?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:55 pm 
WRETCHED

I went vegan before my husband did. Basically, I told him I wanted to become vegetarian, I started reading about how to be a vegetarian, started making less meat at home and ordered mostly vegetarian meals out. Then I said I was going vegan and he said that since I was the primary cook, that he would eat vegan at home. So he would eat meat sometimes when we were out. Anyway, that lasted all of 4 months or so and then he went vegan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:55 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

My boyfriend is omni, but he'll eat anything. He loves my baking and cooking, and is more than happy to eat whatever I make. I'm so glad he's open to vegan food. When we go out, he'll often get the vegan versions of things, partly so I can share and partly because he legitimately likes vegetables, seitan, tofu and tempeh.

It doesn't really bother me if he orders meat at a restaurant. It's not on my conscience. If he ever wants meat at home, he'll cook it himself (and scrub the shiitake out of the dishes after). He knows better.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I am vegan, SO is not. He usually cooks for himself or orders out. I love cooking but unfortunately he is not a fan of some of the things I make. Sometimes he will eat with me but most often he fends for himself. I am not bothered by him ordering meat when we eat out. I am bothered that we rarely go out, 1.because I have Candida and it's hard for me to eat out and 2. because he doesn't like a lot of vegan food and not many places here have vegan and omni options.
kara kara wrote:
My boyfriend is omni, but he'll eat anything. He loves my baking and cooking, and is more than happy to eat whatever I make. I'm so glad he's open to vegan food. When we go out, he'll often get the vegan versions of things, partly so I can share and partly because he legitimately likes vegetables, seitan, tofu and tempeh.

It doesn't really bother me if he orders meat at a restaurant. It's not on my conscience. If he ever wants meat at home, he'll cook it himself (and scrub the shiitake out of the dishes after). He knows better.

gawd you are lucky!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

linanil wrote:
I went vegan before my husband did. Basically, I told him I wanted to become vegetarian, I started reading about how to be a vegetarian, started making less meat at home and ordered mostly vegetarian meals out. Then I said I was going vegan and he said that since I was the primary cook, that he would eat vegan at home. So he would eat meat sometimes when we were out. Anyway, that lasted all of 4 months or so and then he went vegan.

This is pretty much exactly how it went for us, only he didn't last that long...maybe a month? Our situation is a little different though because we were both vegetarian for 6 years, ate meat for 2 years, and then went vegan almost a year ago. Backwards, I know!

When I first decided to go vegan, and he was eating meat, I used to get on his case a lot and try to convince him that it was wrong to eat meat, etc. He wouldn't budge, so I finally just gave in to the fact that we would just have to be different. He loves animals, but loved loved loved meat. I told him it was his choice what he wanted to eat, and that I wouldn't bug him about it anymore. He went vegan almost instantly after that!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:13 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My boyfriend was vegan and then vegetarian when he was in his teens and twenties, but after becomming a serious chef, he started eating meat again. He's a fabulous cook and he always makes veg meals for us, so he'll add a little meat to his own if he's in the mood.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:15 pm 
Chard Martyr

kara kara wrote:

yeah, that's exactly how it is for me and eppy's dungeon master! he's never cooked me at home unless maybe he;s heating up leftovers or something.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:17 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

But what if you're vegan and your SO is vegetarian or vice versa. STOP THE POLL!!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We are both vegetarian, but I'm 95% vegan (just occasional cheese at restaurants) and he is not. I don't cook anything with animal products and he happily eats whatever I make, but sometimes will add cheese or real butter to his portion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

IsaChandra wrote:
But what if you're vegan and your SO is vegetarian or vice versa. STOP THE POLL!!!!

teeeeeeechnically, you're both vegetarian. :-p

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

crepe, I changed the poll and it erased all the answers! Sorry :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We both vegan, yet we still cook separate dinners.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

My husband is omni. He eats whatever I cook as long as it doesn't contain tofu, tempeh or mushrooms (yeah, he's 5 years old). When he cooks, he makes omni recipes but uses meat analogs and Daiya in mine and omni stuff in his. At least he's trying, I guess.

I don't really mind him ordering meat at restaurants, except if he's going to get ribs or a half chicken or something. Then I flip out and make him get pasta.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

sunnybear wrote:
crepe, I changed the poll and it erased all the answers! Sorry :(

yeah, the poll creation page really should warn you about that. no worries, i re-voted. <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:36 pm 
Chard Martyr

My boyfriend is vegetarian and I am vegan, but he's always moving further and further towards veganism. He doesn't bring non-vegan food into our home, which is his call, not something I demanded, and when it comes to iffy products such as cleaning products and the like, he actually kind of schools me on the veganity of stuff more often than not. It's just when our neighbours with backyard chickens start feeding him eggs that he fails veganism, but honestly I'm just happy that he will NEVER eat meat. I'm happy waiting for him to choose whether or not he wants to commit fully to veganism, since in the meantime, he consumes very little eggs/dairy, and those products are always sourced in a way that he mostly finds peace with ethically (to clarify, I'm not saying that I'm okay with "ethical animal products," but I respect him enough to let him make his own calls).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

kara kara wrote:

Pretty much the same here except it's my hubs. He's very supportive at home and since I've gone veg he's been MUCH more conscious of his food choices (e.g. he realizes the ridiculous amount of meat the general population eats). I'd love to have him go full veg, too, but I don't pressure him. He has to make that decision for himself.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
It's just when our neighbours with backyard chickens start feeding him eggs that he fails veganism, but honestly I'm just happy that he will NEVER eat meat. I'm happy waiting for him to choose whether or not he wants to commit fully to veganism, since in the meantime, he consumes very little eggs/dairy, and those products are always sourced in a way that he mostly finds peace with ethically (to clarify, I'm not saying that I'm okay with "ethical animal products," but I respect him enough to let him make his own calls).

my husband is vegan, and he has said if we rescue some chickens, he would go back to eating eggs. :-/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm vegan, my partner is vegetarian. I'm the cook in our house and there's no way I'm cooking separate meals, so we eat the same things and as long as I don't serve him mushrooms, eggplant or pumpkin, he loves it. The only non-vegan things he really ever eats are M&Ms and cheese on pizza.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My husband is omni and eats mostly vegan at home. He requests quorn products so I buy those for him which is fine. If I'm feeling really nice I'll buy some pre-cooked chicken to toss in his stir fry or frozen stuff like pizza, but pretty much he doesn't care. He's not allowed to cook raw meat in the house because he never cleans up. He eats meat at lunch and when we're out. We have a kosher grill (mine, ruled by me and I deem what can go on it) and his non cleaned meat grill for the bbq. See, I mentioned cleaning twice in this post....passive agressive much?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

My bf is omni out of laziness since he never cooks for himself and if he went vegan he'd be one of those chips and oreos vegans. Heck, he's a chips and oreos omni! But he's been making strides towards veganism a lot more in the last year or so and has voiced multiple times that when we have kids he wants to raise them vegan, with vegan ethics. I've been vegan pretty much since I moved to Atlanta and he knows that I'm very firm about maintaining a vegan home which is good with him too. He also loves to call and brag about the new vegan restaurants he finds and food he tries.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:09 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

When my partner and I first started dating, I was a vegetarian and he was an omnivore. We have both joined Club Vegan since. *flashes badge*

I gotta give my guy props because even as an omnivore he was open about trying my food and eating fake meats and new vegetables. He said that my lack of judgement and pushiness is a lot of what made him consider vegetarianism.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

sunnybear wrote:
I'm just curious as to how many vegetarians/vegans have an SO who eats the same way they do. If not, do you have to cook separate dinners or are they happy eating veg at home? Does it annoy you at a restaurant if they order say, a steak?

Both me and my husband are mostly vegan. I say mostly because we are not 100% strict when it comes to restaurants having hidden non-vegan ingredients in seemingly vegan things. I think it would be really tough for me if he was still omni.

My husband is omni. I am vegan. Overall, he eats vegan at home (he will have the occasional frozen pizza, grilled cheese, box of mac & cheese, can of soup sort of thing). I do not allow raw meat in my home, I don't allow meat to be prepared in my home. I was vegan when he met me so none of this required adjustment for him really, this is just how it's always been with us.

We don't eat out very often, but when we do he orders whatever he wants and I'm not bothered by it. Due to the fact that he DOES eat vegan MOST of the time, he gets an upset stomach when he eats red meat, or too much meat, so usually if we do go out he'll get a piece of fish or something. Not saying that's awesome by any means, but there's not like a bloody steak across the table from me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i'm vegan, and my partner is vegetarian, loves to cook, and is always willing to veganize anything he makes that isn't already vegan.
he has a fondness for cheese, and uses cow's milk occasionally, but he seems to eat vegan most of the time, has gotten into using almond milk instead, and is forever in search of a good vegan cheese.
when baking, he uses egg substitutes (such as applesauce) more often than eggs.
although he still needs a glass of cow's milk when we make curry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:49 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I'm vegan, he's vegetarian. I do most of the cooking though, so he eats vegan at home. Our kitchen is mostly vegan, because it's a pain to buy soy milk and real milk, soy margarine and butter, etc. He likes my vegan alternatives, which makes it easier. Occasionally, he'll bring home a pizza or milkshake, and that doesn't bother me at all. I would be really grossed out if he wanted to bring eggs into the house, but luckily he never has.

IOW, no conflicts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We're both vegan, so that makes life a lot easier. For about the first year that we dated though, I was vegan and he ate meat. When we moved in together, we agreed that there wouldn't be any meat in the house, but dairy products (mostly just the occasional yogurt) was okay.

I do most of the cooking, so he'll usually eat whatever I make, but I make an effort to cook foods we both like. Sometimes when I really want something for lunch/dinner that I know he won't like, he'll reheat some frozen mac and cheese and eat that instead. (I usually make a large batch and freeze the leftovers for this sole purpose.)

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next