| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you and your SO have the same diet?
We are both vegan 38%  38%  [ 67 ]
We are both vegetarian 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
SO is vegetarian, and I am vegan 13%  13%  [ 24 ]
I am vegetarian, and SO is vegan 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
SO is an omni, and I am vegan 40%  40%  [ 71 ]
SO is an omni, and I am vegetarian 6%  6%  [ 11 ]
I am omni, and SO is vegan/vegetarian 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 178
 Post subject: Re: Are you and your SO both veg?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We were both vegan when we met.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

kara kara wrote:
My boyfriend is omni, but he'll eat anything. He loves my baking and cooking, and is more than happy to eat whatever I make. I'm so glad he's open to vegan food. When we go out, he'll often get the vegan versions of things, partly so I can share and partly because he legitimately likes vegetables, seitan, tofu and tempeh.

It doesn't really bother me if he orders meat at a restaurant. It's not on my conscience. If he ever wants meat at home, he'll cook it himself (and scrub the shiitake out of the dishes after). He knows better.

Mr. Roz is omni and is like this. He eats everything I cook, but if he feels a need for meat, he'll have lunch meat now and then. He had made my going vegetarian, then vegan, that much easier.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

vijita wrote:
My boyfriend is vegetarian and I am vegan, but he's always moving further and further towards veganism. He doesn't bring non-vegan food into our home, which is his call, not something I demanded, and when it comes to iffy products such as cleaning products and the like, he actually kind of schools me on the veganity of stuff more often than not. It's just when our neighbours with backyard chickens start feeding him eggs that he fails veganism, but honestly I'm just happy that he will NEVER eat meat. I'm happy waiting for him to choose whether or not he wants to commit fully to veganism, since in the meantime, he consumes very little eggs/dairy, and those products are always sourced in a way that he mostly finds peace with ethically (to clarify, I'm not saying that I'm okay with "ethical animal products," but I respect him enough to let him make his own calls).

See I don't think it's wrong to eat the eggs that come from your own backyard or land, as long as the hens were treated well. The eggs are just a by-product that is food and would otherwise go to waste. And what if the hen was a rescue from a sanctuary? I still don't know if I would eat eggs in this case, but I don't see anything wrong with it when other people do it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:09 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I was an omnivore all my life until I went vegetarian between December 2004 and January 2005 (don't recall exactly). I met my partner on the last day of April 2005. She had alternated between omnivore, vegetarian, and vegan. She was vegetarian when we became a couple in September 2005. We decided to try veganism in October 2005. Here we are over five years later, still vegan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:58 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

BF eats a little of most anything I make, but the majority of his meal will consist of his own thing. Often my dinner is frozen (homemade) food, and he'll do his own thing. He has very weird tastes & food habits so I feel like even if we had the same diets, we would still cook for ourselves. I'm not bothered by him getting meat in restaurants, with the exception of when he orders things that *most* people would find gross, like tripe- like I said, he has weird tastes- but it's fine with me, I just think it's a weird choice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:15 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

Both vegan. There's no way I'm making two dinners...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:23 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

We're both vegan. He has been vegan far longer than me and was a huge inspiration in me going and staying vegan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We were both omni when I decided to make the switch to vegan. For a few months, Chad basically finished eating whatever we already had that was not vegan and would order meat from restaurants that he knew was organic or local. Eventually, he stopped doing that and now eats vegan, too. I think the deciding factors for him were 1) it was easier to eat whatever I made and 2) the more he learned, the more turned off to meat/cheese/etc he was.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:53 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

We were vegetarian when we met many years ago, but I've been vegan for several years now. He converted to a mostly vegan diet a couple of years ago. He's vegan, save for some occasional honey, which I suppose is still just vegetarian (or beegan).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:17 pm 
Dildo Queen

i wish i had a vegan bf. all i want to do is cook meals with someone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

semiautomatic wrote:

you can still cook meals with someone who isn't vegan. my husband isn't that into cooking, but we're usually in the kitchen together and he'll do simpler stuff like make salad or garlic bread or something.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:31 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

semiautomatic wrote:

Well, unfortunately, he still does not like to cook with me! It's forced labor, whether it's rolling flautas, preparing lasagna, baking cupcakes, or whatever. He gladly says he will help me enjoy the food though, which is so helpful! He does cook, however, it's mostly heating up freezer food, or making very simple meals. I shouldn't complain, since he has been known to make me cinnamon rolls and biscuits from scratch!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:17 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We're both vegan--went vegan a month or so apart and over a year before we starting seeing each other.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I had been dating my boyfriend for about 2 years when I decided to go vegan, and though I don't think he quite understood, he was very supportive. A few months later I dared him to eat vegan for a week, and in that week suggested he watch "Meet Your Meat" and read a few other articles on the subject - he made it through the week and hasn't eaten meat since, and gave up fish a year after. Since I do the majority of cooking (I get home earlier), he pretty much eats vegan at home, save the odd piece of cheese (we both dig soy milk and he never bothers to buy yogurt or eggs). When eating out he might get something with eggs/cheese/milk but it doesn't bother me. Our apartment is a meat-free zone, it would be really hard for me if he ever chose to eat it again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:37 am 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
my husband and i are both vegan, i was vegetarian when we started dating (have been most of my life) and he had been in high school but had gone back to eating meat and then stopped again, then we went vegan together three years ago) he used to cheat at work/school functions when all they had was cheese pizza or something but he said it was never as good as he expected it to be so he's stopped and makes sure to have his own lunch packed now.

he's a botanist and vegan for environmental reasons (though more and more i believe that's his go to answer so people don't think he's a "sissy" or something because he's a total goober about animals too), where my reasons are more linked to my version of ethical/what i think is "right". i don't think it would bother me if he wanted to eat our neighbors cheese or something (they have goats, they make cheese, their goats are happy and healthy and lovely little buggers) but i wouldn't do it (i'm just not into other mammals breast milk)-- we didn't eat eggs when we were vegetarian either so that would really gross me out. i can't imagine what i'd do if he ate meat. i plan on raising vegan children, at least until they're old enough to make that choice themselves, it would be difficult to do that if he ate meat.

many of the men i've dated have ended up going and staying veg (except one guy who would purposely order rare burgers even though he didnt like his meat rare so it would bleed on the plate, that didn't last long) but i've never asked a guy to stop eating meat or tried to infiltrate their minds. i think it has more to do with the "type" of guys i used to date, and ultimately married (i'm a sucker for the sensitive animal loving types)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

semiautomatic wrote:

My husband isn't really into cooking, and I don't think this would be different if he was vegan. I've taught him to make a few things, but he needs me standing there directing him the whole time. He does like helping me bake though. That might just be sitting on a stool at the opposite side of the counter licking things and tasting things and stealing chocolate chips and such, but at least he's participating.

My friend Erica, however, is vegan and she and I cook together like crazy. It's a lot of fun. You can have cooking fun parties with someone even if they're not your SO.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was vegan and Mike was omni when we met. And he was one of those "veganism - boooo" omnivores. He went vegetarian when he moved in with me - I do all the cooking, so it was always vegan, but he would still buy non-vegan sandwiches and stuff when he was at work. He went vegan when we got married - he was mostly vegan already; he just had to give up eating a 200g bar of Dairy Milk (or Galaxy caramel or whatever other chocolate bar) per day.

I have to say, one of the things that helped him go vegan was reading the intros in my vegan cookbooks (mostly Isa/Terry books) while he sat in the kitchen waiting for me to finish making dinner. But I think he mostly credits Eternal Treblinka for helping him to finally decide to go vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:42 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm not currently in a relationship, but my previous and only SO was a vegan (as am I). Prior to this relationship, I was adamant that I could only ever consider a longterm relationship with other vegans. However, now that I have experienced a relationship with a vegan, I realise that there are certain aspects of a relationship that are more important to me (such as communication an emotional involvement!). So when I hopefully find another SO, as long as they respect my values, I'd respect their wishes to eat what they choose.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:47 am 
Huffs Nooch

My SO is vegan and I am...heading that way. I currently consider myself a vegetarian because I'll occassionally eat a little cheese or not be super concerned if there are hidden animal products. But I always use soy milk, and for the last few months I have tapered down my animal product usage to where I am pretty much vegan. Plus, I"ve started Eat to Live (mostly) and have eaten purely vegan for the last week, which I assume is a sign of things to come.

ETA.

Even when I was just a vegetarian, I'd always cook vegan stuff for us to have. I've loved the adventure of vegan cooking and baking. In fact, I always kinda liked to cook, but since becoming vegetarian and having a vegan lady to cook for, I've developed a love for cooking. It fascinates me. Like, making those seitan sausages. Or "cheese" sauce out of nooch. Those things make no sense to me, and I think that's why I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:10 am 
Married to the wolfman

I'm a vegan, my spouse is a vegetarian.

We were both vegetarians when we met, then I went vegan about four years ago. He eats mostly vegan now though.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:25 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm vegan, he is omni. We cook different meals at the same time and we each wash our own dishes. He's a pretty picky eater, which is why we don't both eat whatever I cook. When we eat out, we both order whatever we'd like to have. Since I became vegan after we got married, it doesn't seem reasonable for me to try to put any expectations on him. I don't feel any worse watching him eat a steak than watching anybody else eat one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:39 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

My boyfriend is omni - I am vegan. However he eats vegan 85% of the time, when we go out it is to only vegan friendly places, we do not have dairy in the house - it is soy milk, snacks are all vegan, lunch is vegan....Meat is only 2 a week at night - he gets a meal at Subway or Chipotle...It used to be more meat heavy with him but I told him I wanted to have more meals that we both can eat. His sister even comes over for vegan dinner 2X a week...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:57 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm vegan, my husband is omni. But I don't cook separate meals and he can't cook so he is stuck with vegan food-which he mostly loves. He comes from a steak and potatoes/hunting family so it's pretty cool to see him begging for hummus or trying to sneak fried tofu out of the pan.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:50 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

He became vegetarian partly due to my influence, and then we went vegan together.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:29 pm 
Inflexitarian

When I met my husband, I was vegan and he was vegetarian. He said at the time that he thought veganism was a bit extreme. But within about a week of us dating he basically converted, which meant not eating cheese pizza or drinking mango lassis. After meeting me, he saw that it wasn't really so extreme after all and I was managing things just fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next