| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lasagna
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made an epic lasagna last night. Cauliflower tofu ricotta with basil and garlic. Eggplant, zucchini. Tomato sauce. Beyond beef crumbles. Basil. Spinach. Used the no boil noodles. A little tiny bit of Daiya. It's so flipping good. I think lasagna might be a perfect food.

What are your favourite lasagna recipes and innovations?

Post subject: Re: Lasagna
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sometimes I swap the tomato sauce for a jar of chilli con carne sauce (the kind with beans in) and have chillagna

Facebook

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:26 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I make a few variations on lasagna, but this one has been the most recent frontrunner for favorite.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2013 ... sagna.html

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:45 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I love lasagna, I make it a little different every time.
I do prefer a bechamel type sauce over a ricotta type filling.
And usually I cook the noodles a few minutes before using them, even if the package says you don't have to.
It saves time (if you just boil 3 minutes, it saves you about twenty minutes of time in the oven) the layers stay more separeted that way (I hate it when lasagna is just one big mess, it's all about the layers for me) and the texture of the noodles is also better this way.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have not made lasagne since my vegetarian days ... I WANT some ... I will look at some of the recipes in the many cookbooks I have & get some underway ... how nice it would be today ... it is grey out there, may rain again ... it is a holiday Monday here in the U.K. & we are soon off out to go see a National Trust stately home ...

Maaike, I agree ... it is about the layers not just a mush of pasta & filling ...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

teacup wrote:
I have not made lasagne since my vegetarian days ... I WANT some ... I will look at some of the recipes in the many cookbooks I have & get some underway ... how nice it would be today ... it is grey out there, may rain again ... it is a holiday Monday here in the U.K. & we are soon off out to go see a National Trust stately home ...

Maaike, I agree ... it is about the layers not just a mush of pasta & filling ...

AFR has a great one.
Another Dinner is Possible is really good.
Chloe's Kitchen is quite nice but needs more sauce IMO.
I like a good tofu ricotta, plenty of cheesy sauce and spinach in mine. Also must be wholemeal lasagne sheets and eat with lots of broccoli or salad and home made garlic bread! Yummy!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:13 am 
Chip Strong

I was vegetarian for pretty much my whole life (definitely my whole cooking life!) before I went vegan, so I only know how to make veggie lasagne, anyway. I usually just make it the exact way I used to, but sub soy milk for dairy milk and vegan cheese for dairy cheese. I just make a huge saucepan full of tomato/marinara sauce with tonnes of veggies in (usually stuff like courgette, peppers, mushrooms, aubergine.... but sometime more adventurous) then make a cheese sauce (the same way you'd make a bechamel... with a roux and them milk... but with whatever non-dairy cheese added) layer everything up with the lasagne sheets and bake the forker. I know bechamel sauce is traditional, not cheese sauce with every layer... but seriously it's so much better when it's super cheesy.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:22 am 
Bathes in Braggs

My current favorite is the butternut squash lasagna (with cashew cream) from Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen. I always loved the white sauce versions. For a super quick lasagna the one from Vegan Casseroles does not disappoint. I use no boil noodles to keep it fast on the prep time. With all that said, if I have more time my favorite ricotta to use is the cashew ricotta from Vcon.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:05 am 
Dead by dawn

My go-to for 20+ years has been the one from the original Moosewood Cookbook. I use the marinara version of the sauce, which is chunky and veggie-ful, tweaked to my liking (no mushrooms because I'm a hater, and Suzanne's Just Like Honey rice nectar in place of the honey.) I used to make it vegetarian but just swapped out the ricotta and mozz for Vcon cashew ricotta the first time I made it vegan. I've experimented with a couple of vegan mozzarellas but the cashew ricotta is really enough rich cheesy deliciousness. It's the sauce that makes it.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

I think my absolute favorite lasagna recipe I've had so far is the one in Veganomicon with the pine nut sauce on top. That one gets rave reviews from everyone I've made it for.

The AFR one is also really, really good, and I like the topping with the kalamata olives, but the step of roasting the cauliflower makes it not so weeknight dinner friendly. It's definitely tasty, though.

For a white-ish lasagna, the pumpkin white bean lasagna in The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester is delicious and filling. Very low effort as far as lasagnas go. I usually make this at least once every fall.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I need to try the pine nut sauce from V-con. That sounds amazing.

I also need to try the bechamel/white sauce options, and butternut squash!

Confession: I only use the no boil noodles. And they work fine every time.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:31 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I did not know about the pine nut one in Vcon or the pumpkin one in Kathy's book. Seriously how do I keep buying new books when I don't even know what's in the ones I already have?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I made a lasagne this week with a lentil bolognese type filling and a cheesy sauce recipe that I found somewhere online. I find the non-dairy sauces dry out a lot once they are in the oven, probably because they are lacking the fat from the cheese - I can't buy non-dairy cheese here so have to use a nooch based one. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:14 am 
Taco Scientist

Yeah the Vcon one is the template I use too. The tofu ricotta is usally my go too and I love that pine nut topping. I have done AFR a bunch too, I bet it would be even better with the pine nut topping...