| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eliminating bread. Help me, vegans!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:43 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm trying to temporarily eliminate bread and other processed carby things from my diet, but I have no idea how to cook that way. I think of all vegetables in terms of being eaten with a starch. Tips? Recipes?
I like to eat spinach, for example, but I don't know a good vegetable-only recipe that uses spinach. I typically put it in pasta or on pizza. I know there are salads, but I don't want salad. I want to be able to cook a delicious hot meal using only veggies and tofu. Share your refined-flour-free recipes with me!

Post subject: Re: Eliminating bread. Help me, vegans!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:45 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

gnarls_baudelaire wrote:
I'm trying to temporarily eliminate bread and other processed carby things from my diet, but I have no idea how to cook that way. I think of all vegetables in terms of being eaten with a starch. Tips? Recipes?
I like to eat spinach, for example, but I don't know a good vegetable-only recipe that uses spinach. I typically put it in pasta or on pizza. I know there are salads, but I don't want salad. I want to be able to cook a delicious hot meal using only veggies and tofu. Share your refined-flour-free recipes with me!

Are you avoiding all grains or just refined grains? I think grain + vegetable + bean is a pretty standard combination the world around. For spinach, you could have soup, sauteed spinach, saag, stir-fry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:57 am 

Grilled tofu with a big side of veg is pretty satisfying. Try enriching your meals with nuts and seeds, and their respective butters, as this will amp up the satisfaction you may normally get from carbs. But I agree, carbs are healthy damn it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

good point, are you avoiding white starch? what about brown rice, quinoa, etc?

i go raw for part of the year and replacing the bread is sometimes rough- i tend to use leaves (collard, lettuce, etc) as replacements for wraps or tortillas and that works pretty well. fill with dips and spreads, or taco type mix, or curry, or whatever.

if i have a veggie that i want to try to cook a different way, i usually look for some ethnic cooking that i don't know too much about- for example see what i can make with chayote squash by looking at mexican recipes. that way it's different from what i expected but in a good way and i don't feel "disappointed" that there's not whatever grain i was expecting.

in japanese cooking spinach is typically very undercooked (steamed for maybe 3 minutes max) and then plunged into cold water, squeezed out, put in a bowl and topped with either a soy broth or a sesame sauce... you'll find recipes for this as "spinach/horensou ohitashi" and instead of sprinkling it with fish flakes, sprinkle it with sesame seeds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:18 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Torque beat me to it, but if you're just avoiding refined starches, you still have millet, amaranth, quinoa, cornmeal, barley, spelt berries, brown basmati and potatoes to work with. If potatoes are ok, you could make saag aloo (maybe with some cauliflower to replace some of the potatoes) or spinach and potato soup.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:56 am 

Quinoa is still fine by me, as well as other whole grains. I guess brown rice is fine.
Thanks for the ideas, guys, keep 'em coming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:07 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

For spinach, the spinach and chickpea curry in VwaV is really good. And it is equally delicious on its own or over brown rice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:25 pm 
Married to the wolfman

gaia13 wrote:
For spinach, the spinach and chickpea curry in VwaV is really good. And it is equally delicious on its own or over brown rice.

Any kind of saag really! Vcon has the Pumpkin Saag (or is it kabocha saag? I don't know, I use them pretty interchangably) which is a really good filling meal without any kind of grain.

Along with other grains, you can use non-grain starches too. Baked sweet potato, or normal potato, or winter squash of any variety.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:45 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I rarely eat any white rice or flour products, even bread. Lots of whole grains: brown rice, quiona, millet, whole wheat cous cous, etc.

Millet is pretty awesome. if you have Vcon, make the Mexican Millet.

Brown rice might take some getting used to. I like organic pre-cooked rice from Trader Joes (in the frozen section). it only takes 3 minutes to cook, and the consistancy is really nice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:47 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

also, not to be hitting the raw food bell too much, but it's ridiculously awesome if you don't overdo it:
raw noodles from spiralizing.... you can make noodles out of carrots, zucchini, pumpkins, cukes, whatever. top it with whatever you like, maybe marinara sauce, alfredo, etc, and it really hits the spot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

I usually cook either a veggie only stir fry or cook breakfast scramble type dishes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:12 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

i agree with all of the ideas re: brown rice, oats, quinoa, etc...amaranth, millet, farro, and buckwheat are all really good, too!

also...don't completely rule out bread. Ditch the supermarket crepe and anything with an ingredient list longer than a slice itself...but don't rule out the merits of a super-hearty, artisan bread from a local bakery. often, ingredients are just a few things: flour, salt, yeast, water, and maybe a tad bit of sugar to feed the yeast. if it's a multi-grain loaf you're buying, then you'll get the fiber from the whole grain anyway, which is one of the biggest perks to eating grains on their own.

I eat a lot of rice and oatmeal, but i also relish the taste of a slice of toast with peanut butter-- and the bread I buy is nothing i feel guilty about eating. it's simple, good food, no additives or anything like that. just baked-up awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:24 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Lettuce wraps can be filled with tofu & vegetables for a filling meal with no bread.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:24 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

How about subbing some beans for the bread-y grain stuff? You could have your spinach and other veggies with beans instead of the pasta/bread. There is a really good recipe on vegweb for cilantro crusted tofu with black beans that is very filling, and you could add a side of veg to go with if you felt like you needed a little extra. I'll try to find the recipe and come back and add the link.

ETA: ok, i found it: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=12568.0 I don't use as much lime as they do in the recipe, and I slice the tofu into 4 thin cutlets instead of cubing it. Also, if you're not oil-free, pan-frying the tofu gives it a really nice crunchy crust.