| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to keep brown sugar good.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:59 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Another thing that works is if you find your brown sugar clumped and dried out and you are in a pinch, there is something you can do to save it. What I do is measure out the amount I need into a microwave safe bowl. Wet some paper towel a few plys thick, squeeze out the excess water so the paper towel is just damp, cover the bowl and nuke it for about 15 seconds. Stir the brown sugar and repeat until the clumps can be broken apart and the brown sugar is softened. Be careful not to let the sugar start to melt or burn, just heat 15 seconds at a time and stir often.

To keep your brown sugar soft when it is being stored I usually keep it in a ziploc bag in the pantry, brown sugar does better when it is stored in a dark cool place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:08 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

hoveringdog wrote:
I don't usually keep brown sugar on hand, just mix together a little molasses and regular sugar as needed. That's all that brown sugar is anyway.

I'm also a molasses + white sugar person, but that started because I was frustrated with having rock-hard, clumpy brown sugar. White sugar is more versatile that way, anyway. I just have to be careful not to add too much molasses; I always eyeball it because I hate how messy and sticky it makes my tablespoons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:14 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

queenofpainting wrote:
hoveringdog wrote:
I don't usually keep brown sugar on hand, just mix together a little molasses and regular sugar as needed. That's all that brown sugar is anyway.

I'm also a molasses + white sugar person, but that started because I was frustrated with having rock-hard, clumpy brown sugar. White sugar is more versatile that way, anyway. I just have to be careful not to add too much molasses; I always eyeball it because I hate how messy and sticky it makes my tablespoons.

Me too. If i am baking or something, i often don't even mix it up, i just add some molasses to the wet- like a tsp for a half a cup in the recipe?? and i add a little less sugar. I do it because i don't understand why i need to have more stuff in my pantry.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

Um, I keep a mini bagel in mine. Don't judge, and don't ask how old it is, cause I don't know. The bagel that is.