| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me like curry!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:14 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I really can't eat spicy food but I want to like curry, help me!

To give you an idea of the things I find too spicy I can't eat babaganoush because the raw garlic's too burney & the refried bean recipe from Viva Vegan is way too spicy for me even if I leave out the fresh chilli & just use the 1/2 tsp of chilli powder.

I like tofu, most vegetables & things with coconut milk and tomato in them.

An actual recipe would be awesome because I have no idea where to start making curry, I have most of the usual cookbooks & I'm always up for adding more to my collection!

Post subject: Re: Help me like curry!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:19 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
while I dont have a recipe to steer you too. There is no reason a curry has to be spicy. In fact theres a green thai curry recipe in VWAV that Im sure you could just remove the peppers from the curry paste in the recipe

and with a bit of research Im sure you can make your own curry pastes and powders to your liking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:23 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

What about mattar tofu?
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/05/ma ... aneer.html
I'm sure you could leave out the chilli powder because it already has other spices and flavour going for it, maybe you'd need to reduce the ginger to your liking.

Just a note too, I didn't notice until I completely stuffed up a recipe but when US cookbooks call for 'chilli powder' they usually mean a mix of paprika + chilli + other spices
Like this:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/season ... 30420j.htm
I don't know about the UK, but here the 'chilli powder' you buy at the store is straight up chillis but you can usually find 'Mexican chilli blend' as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:36 am 
Semen Strong

Brett doesn't like hot/spicy food at all, but he generally really likes the mild, coconutty, yellow curries like kormas, and it sounds like you might too. I buy the Patak's spice mixes for very quick curries, but the recipe above has all the steps to make your own, just don't use the ghee (use peanut oil or vegetable oil instead) and leave out the green chilis.

He also likes vegetable Jalfrezi (you could use this recipe using Patak's spice paste and modify to go very light on the spice paste and omit the red chili.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Curries don't have to be spicy! You can make a pretty mild curry with garlic, ginger, onion, coconut milk and a mild curry powder.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I second the korma suggestion. Tikka masalas would also be good- even though they're totally inauthentic curries, they're mild, with a lot of tomato and coconut milk. Tikka masalas are what got Boyfriend to love curry!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

try coconut curry! this one is sooo freakin delicious, I've made it many times and it's not spicy! I serve it over rice.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thai-Curry ... etail.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Veglicious wrote:
Just a note too, I didn't notice until I completely stuffed up a recipe but when US cookbooks call for 'chilli powder' they usually mean a mix of paprika + chilli + other spices
Like this:
I don't know about the UK, but here the 'chilli powder' you buy at the store is straight up chillis but you can usually find 'Mexican chilli blend' as well.

OMG how did I not know this?! I kept thinking I was losing my resistance to heat because I can only stand about 1/4 tsp of chili powder in most recipes, but it turns out I've just been using the wrong chili powder!

Also, yes, curries don't have to be spicy. I use a mild curry powder, coconut milk and tomato in mine (amongst other, non-hot spices like cumin and garam masala). Mike won't eat curries out, but he loves mine. I suspect it's partially because mine are never hot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

rachell37 wrote:
Veglicious wrote:
Like this:

OMG how did I not know this?! I kept thinking I was losing my resistance to heat because I can only stand about 1/4 tsp of chili powder in most recipes, but it turns out I've just been using the wrong chili powder!

I didn't know this either! I bought a thing of Mexican chilli powder for nachos and I was all 'THIS CHILLI IS DEFECTIVE', and poured half the container in to get it hot enough.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:54 am 
Inflexitarian

I second what everyone else has said, curry's definitely don't have to be spicy. I'm in love with red curry's which are usually pretty mild and only made more spicy by adding thai chilies. I'm learning to love indian curry but it's taking a while. I've actually found that I prefer a spicier indian curry but most pre-made curry powders I've found aren't spicy at all and I always have to add my own spice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:19 am 
Saggy Butt

Veglicious wrote:

Like this:

yeah, i was going to ask you about this, jojo, when we cooked here but i think i forgot. the chili powder blend is much different than just ground chilis! It's not spicy. i can send you the blend if you can't find it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:52 am 

Thanks everyone! I knew that curry didn't have to be spicy but I'm always worried that by removing certain spices I'll ruin the dish. I'm going to try all the recipes you guys posted & let you know how it goes, there are also a couple in Appetite for Reduction I'm going to try.

Veglicious & Inceptisol I had a look in the shops today for a chilli powder blend & couldn't see anything like it, I'm pretty sure that must be part of the problem! Inceptisol I would love you to send me some of the spice blend we used!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:03 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

If I'm not too late...this is my favourite curry at the moment - http://earthvegan.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... curry.html
It's based on a recipe by Madhur Jaffrey. It's creamy and fragrant, but not at all spicy! I often add a tin of chickpeas to it too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:26 pm 

Of course you're not too late VeganGeorgie, I won't have time to try any of these untill after Christmas! That recipe looks great, I've added it to my list!