| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Give me your favorite gyoza/potsticker, and bao fillings!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:05 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

So, I finally decided that I will use my gyoza wrappers and steamed bun mix for my special xmas day treat.

I don't need to be super authentic about it, but I wanna have a little fun.

I figured I'd make one traditional gyoza or potsticker filling with cabbagey tofuness (this is where I need suggestions!), one filled with pierogi fillings (for a little bit of cross cultural laziness, and because I have daiya and sauerkraut that need using), and maybe something else. I have some bao mix as well, and I bought a can of red bean paste, and thought I'd make a faux pork bun as well maybe, using TVP or bbq jackfruit or something.

Ideas or suggestions? I suppose I also have some spring roll wrappers in my freezer as well, so I could maybe crack into those too with some suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Give me your favorite gyoza/potsticker, and bao fillings
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:36 pm 
Chip Strong

I have a potsticker recipe from a thai cookbook with both sweet and white potatoes and curry that's pretty good. It has a couple other sub-recipes but I usually just ignore or condense those into the normal process. I can write it up for you when I get home tonight. Just remind me with a pm or on facebook if you're interested.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love red bean paste. And someone recently mentioned pumpkin - which really makes me want to try this!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:02 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Phoenix wrote:
I love red bean paste. And someone recently mentioned pumpkin - which really makes me want to try this!

Oooh some sort of pumpkin + red bean with pumpkin spices would be really good. Maybe I'll do that one with my red beans. I'm gonna need more bao mix, I still wanna make a savory!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:33 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i don't have a recipe for this, i just sort of freestyle when i make gyoza, but it's about like this:
(and i use this for gyoza or for bao, either way, when i want salty)

(i use medium size TVP crumbles, but you could use tempeh, seitan, tofu, whatever, even steamed chopped eggplant)
equal amounts of the protein ^^, sliced scallions, and nappa cabbage, shredded. could add a shredded carrot for color if you like.
a decent amount of garlic and ginger. If i'm making 2 dozen i'll use maybe 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and a shredded knob of garlic maybe 2-3cm long.
fry up all of them in sesame oil or a few drops of sesame diluted in normal oil. peanut would be great too.
then throw in some soy sauce or salt til it's tasty

just til everything's wilted.

another thing i like is bao made with black bean filling, basically the same without the carrot or the ginger, and a bit of sugar in the seasoning. soak the black beans and chop them up before throwing them in the pan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:19 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I use the recipe at just hungry ( http://www.justhungry.com/2004/08/is_my_blog_burn.html ) except I just sub a pound of tofu for the pork in hers. Lots of tasty tasty cabbage in here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

torque wrote:
i don't have a recipe for this, i just sort of freestyle when i make gyoza, but it's about like this:
(and i use this for gyoza or for bao, either way, when i want salty)

(i use medium size TVP crumbles, but you could use tempeh, seitan, tofu, whatever, even steamed chopped eggplant)
equal amounts of the protein ^^, sliced scallions, and nappa cabbage, shredded. could add a shredded carrot for color if you like.
a decent amount of garlic and ginger. If i'm making 2 dozen i'll use maybe 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and a shredded knob of garlic maybe 2-3cm long.
fry up all of them in sesame oil or a few drops of sesame diluted in normal oil. peanut would be great too.
then throw in some soy sauce or salt til it's tasty

just til everything's wilted.

another thing i like is bao made with black bean filling, basically the same without the carrot or the ginger, and a bit of sugar in the seasoning. soak the black beans and chop them up before throwing them in the pan.

This sounds very similar to what I do. I take seitan, grind it up with some sauteed mushrooms (but I bet TVP would work too!), and then add napa cabbage, ginger, white pepper, garlic, and enough vegetarian oyster sauce (mushroom flavor!) to give it a nice taste but not to make it too wet. The frying in sesame oil is good too, but I like to steam them in addition to frying. I had some for lunch today and they were so good.

Red bean buns also would be nice, even though they're sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:48 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My tofu potsticker filling is along the same lines as others listed, but I'll share it anyway (it's pretty free-form): Mash up tofu (half a block of firm is usually good), ricotta-style, with a handful or so of dry TVP (it will reconstitute with the liquid of the various ingredients, no need to soak it). Mix in finely chopped veggies: cabbage (green or napa), finely sliced/diced or shredded carrot, green onions, and if you like them a few water chestnuts are really good for texture. Then I dress it with five spice, salt, pepper, ginger, hoisin, rice vinegar (seasoned or unseasoned, whichever you have on hand), and a tiny shake of ground white pepper (I don't generally like white pepper in a lot of things but it really makes them taste "authentic"). The filling should hold together sorta from the wet ingredients. My boyfriend absolutely LOVES them, I'm actually probably going to make a batch and freeze them as a Xmas gift :)

I should work out a recipe with measurements eventually... I tend to just wing it and hope I have enough pasta dough to wrap them (I make basic flour-water-oil pasta to wrap them as nowhere near me carries vegan wonton wrappers). Boil like ravioli, then pan-fry until browned.