| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:23 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Zoo York
For the past year of so I've been hearing about how magical chia seed is but what exactly is it? How does it compare to flax seed in taste and in cooking/baking? How do you you use it?
I like flax seeds but I feel as though I might be missing out on something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:27 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9636
Location: SW Desert, USA
In my opinion, you're not missing out on anything. I don't remember why I bought them in the first place, but if you're doing just fine with flax, stick to it. I vaguely remember baking with them, but it was nothing amazing. I think I bought them for the nutritional content, and to try them out, but I can't be certain. There is still a huge jar sitting in my cabinet.

Maybe this thread will help me get back into chia seeds so I can use them up, if people have uses/great experiences with them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:38 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:48 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: Eugene, OR
We use them to make chia fresca. It's a really refreshing/revitalizing drink! A couple teaspoons chia seed, 1/2 lime squeezed, 1 teaspoon sugar, fill with water. I like to drink it before it gets gelled, but you can also use it as gel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:41 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5136
Location: WV
i bought some chia seeds to make some pudding-like thing i read about on some blog. but i bought them way after i read that, and now i can't remember what blog it was on and i keep forgetting to google it.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:45 pm 
Online
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8928
Location: Maryland/DC area
allularpunk wrote:
i bought some chia seeds to make some pudding-like thing i read about on some blog. but i bought them way after i read that, and now i can't remember what blog it was on and i keep forgetting to google it.


if you google 'chia pudding' there are a lot of hits. I've been using it to make pudding lately. I like it a lot.
http://www.choosingraw.com/basic-chia-seed-pudding/

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:46 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5136
Location: WV
linanil wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
i bought some chia seeds to make some pudding-like thing i read about on some blog. but i bought them way after i read that, and now i can't remember what blog it was on and i keep forgetting to google it.


if you google 'chia pudding' there are a lot of hits. I've been using it to make pudding lately. I like it a lot.
http://www.choosingraw.com/basic-chia-seed-pudding/


thank you!

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:46 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5136
Location: WV
linanil wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
i bought some chia seeds to make some pudding-like thing i read about on some blog. but i bought them way after i read that, and now i can't remember what blog it was on and i keep forgetting to google it.


if you google 'chia pudding' there are a lot of hits. I've been using it to make pudding lately. I like it a lot.
http://www.choosingraw.com/basic-chia-seed-pudding/


thank you!

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:48 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:06 pm
Posts: 471
Location: vancouver
I kinda love chia because it's shelf-stable and you don't have to grind it for the omega-3s. I've never cooked with it, but I make a "sprinkle mix" of ground flax, chia seeds and hemp seeds which I put on my cereal or on stew or soup. It's super filling and really good for fiber.

I just kinda hate that the seeds gel and get stuck in my teeth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:49 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Zoo York
allychristine wrote:
We use them to make chia fresca. It's a really refreshing/revitalizing drink! A couple teaspoons chia seed, 1/2 lime squeezed, 1 teaspoon sugar, fill with water. I like to drink it before it gets gelled, but you can also use it as gel.


As in a hair gel or something else?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:51 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9636
Location: SW Desert, USA
Ah yes, the Omega-3's, fiber, and the chia seed gel... it's slowly coming back to me....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:52 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9636
Location: SW Desert, USA
SweetT wrote:
allychristine wrote:
We use them to make chia fresca. It's a really refreshing/revitalizing drink! A couple teaspoons chia seed, 1/2 lime squeezed, 1 teaspoon sugar, fill with water. I like to drink it before it gets gelled, but you can also use it as gel.


As in a hair gel or something else?


No, it's a gel you use in cooking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:53 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Zoo York
mishka wrote:
I kinda love chia because it's shelf-stable and you don't have to grind it for the omega-3s. I've never cooked with it, but I make a "sprinkle mix" of ground flax, chia seeds and hemp seeds which I put on my cereal or on stew or soup. It's super filling and really good for fiber.

I just kinda hate that the seeds gel and get stuck in my teeth.


Having to grind is a downside and when I don't have any on hand I tend to skip it so it's good to know I can use whole chia seeds.
Could chia gel be used as an egg substitute like flax and a soup thickener?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:00 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:01 pm
Posts: 2213
Location: Maryland
SweetT wrote:
mishka wrote:
I kinda love chia because it's shelf-stable and you don't have to grind it for the omega-3s. I've never cooked with it, but I make a "sprinkle mix" of ground flax, chia seeds and hemp seeds which I put on my cereal or on stew or soup. It's super filling and really good for fiber.

I just kinda hate that the seeds gel and get stuck in my teeth.


Having to grind is a downside and when I don't have any on hand I tend to skip it so it's good to know I can use whole chia seeds.
Could chia gel be used as an egg substitute like flax and a soup thickener?


Yes, definitely! Lots of folks have used it as an egg replacer, although I haven't personally tried it, I've seen some recipes floating around blogs.

_________________
"Noooo! Karyn, you have to stop posting old Jensen pics. He looks way too smooth in those pics, like if I touch his face it'll feel like silk or bosoms or something."-mixmaster_mo
It's Raining Kale


Last edited by designedtobekind on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:00 pm 
Online
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8928
Location: Maryland/DC area
SweetT wrote:
mishka wrote:
I kinda love chia because it's shelf-stable and you don't have to grind it for the omega-3s. I've never cooked with it, but I make a "sprinkle mix" of ground flax, chia seeds and hemp seeds which I put on my cereal or on stew or soup. It's super filling and really good for fiber.

I just kinda hate that the seeds gel and get stuck in my teeth.


Having to grind is a downside and when I don't have any on hand I tend to skip it so it's good to know I can use whole chia seeds.
Could chia gel be used as an egg substitute like flax and a soup thickener?

It looks like the answer is yes:

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/ch ... itute.html
Here's good news for vegans or anyone else who doesn't include eggs in their diets: chia or Salba gel can be used as an egg substitute in any recipe.

To replace one egg, mix 2 tablespoons of chia with half a cup of cold water. This makes 1/4 c. of chia gel. This is a different ratio of chia to water than is used in the basic chia gel recipe.

I haven't tried this yet but Alisa over at Just Baking has a delicious-looking recipe for vegan banana muffins using chia gel as an egg replacer. I'm going to try a similar recipe soon and will report back on my results!

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:35 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 495
Location: BC
I use it a bunch in baking - the ground seeds that is. I generall us 1 teaspoon ground chia in place of 1 Tablespoon ground flax but it varies with the recipe. I like using it in bakign instead of flax when I don't want the bits to be seen as much, as the powder isn't as brown, but that is just appearance.

_________________
Carla
http://veganyear.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Carla.Kelly.Vegan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:46 pm 
Offline
Has gasoline in her veins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 3335
Location: pdx
Well, looks like I'll be making some chia pudding today. =O

_________________
"I rebuke this thread in the name of Jesus." -Jagadeesh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:37 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:48 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: Eugene, OR
Meggs wrote:
SweetT wrote:
allychristine wrote:
We use them to make chia fresca. It's a really refreshing/revitalizing drink! A couple teaspoons chia seed, 1/2 lime squeezed, 1 teaspoon sugar, fill with water. I like to drink it before it gets gelled, but you can also use it as gel.


As in a hair gel or something else?


No, it's a gel you use in cooking.


A gel to eat/drink. It's supposed to revitalize you after a long run, so some longlong distance runners pack it as a gel. It grosses me out that way, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:31 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1920
Location: Buffalo!
i cant get mine to be pudding-y. the seeds somewhat plump and gel, but not like the pudding pictures and theres always still a lot of milk leftover. i kind of eat it as a cereal type meal, with banana or berries mixed in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:58 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Mini Apple
allularpunk wrote:
linanil wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
i bought some chia seeds to make some pudding-like thing i read about on some blog. but i bought them way after i read that, and now i can't remember what blog it was on and i keep forgetting to google it.


if you google 'chia pudding' there are a lot of hits. I've been using it to make pudding lately. I like it a lot.
http://www.choosingraw.com/basic-chia-seed-pudding/


thank you!


Another one of Gena's that is awesome is this one:

http://www.choosingraw.com/pumpkin-chia-pudding/

I'm currently eating it as I type

_________________
"Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY, one night only: it's the amazing...the outstanding...the unbelievable.....VULVODYNIA!" -- Desdemona

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:09 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
Hmm, I may have to get some chia seeds. I'm a bit bored with my flax seeds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chia Seed
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:51 am 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Zoo York
Steph wrote:

Another one of Gena's that is awesome is this one:

http://www.choosingraw.com/pumpkin-chia-pudding/

I'm currently eating it as I type


Ooh nice! I'll have to give that recipe a try!
I've been reading up on chia last night and it seems like the gel it forms is thicker than flax so I'm starting think a fluffy meringue or whipped cream of some sort is possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lepelaar and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer