| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Champagne Flavor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:54 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I bought this little bottle of champagne flavor oil a long time ago and never used it. So, I got this idea to make strawberry champagne cupcakes for New Years. I was just going to put the flavor in the strawberry icing. But I opened the flavoring and it smells like bubblegum. I don't want strawberry-bubblegum cupcakes. Has anyone ever used champagne flavor? It's LorAnn Gourmet brand. I've used other flavors in this brand, mint & cinnamon and they were really good. But this bubblegum flavor smells pretty gross. Or maybe concentrated champagne flavor is supposed to smell like bubblegum? Any advice?

Nature is the art of God. ~ Dante

Post subject: Re: Champagne Flavor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:14 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

try dipping a toothpick in the flavor, then in sugar and taste it. that should give you a good idea if it will enhance or ruin your cupcakes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:57 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I agree, do a small taste test first. I would take a tablespoon or so of the batter and mix a toothpick size into it and taste it.

This awesome diner in my hometown makes a strawberry champagne cake and it is amazing. Not sure what they use for their flavoring though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Lisamh wrote:
try dipping a toothpick in the flavor, then in sugar and taste it. that should give you a good idea if it will enhance or ruin your cupcakes.

Thanks. I tried that and it was pretty horrible. I think I'll just make plain strawberry cupcakes this time and try the champagne flavor another time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

No advice on this, but I'm curious since you said you've used the LorAnn flavor oils. I bought one a long time ago (coconut) but I'm not sure just how to use it- mostly, how much do you use? My favorite spice shop has a ton of the flavors, so I am always intrigued, but I'd like to know more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:43 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Dynahmite wrote:
No advice on this, but I'm curious since you said you've used the LorAnn flavor oils. I bought one a long time ago (coconut) but I'm not sure just how to use it- mostly, how much do you use? My favorite spice shop has a ton of the flavors, so I am always intrigued, but I'd like to know more.

I have the LorAnn "Princess Cake & Cookie" bakery emulsion, on the bottle it says to use the same amount called for in baked recipes, and about half in non-baked recipes. With strong flavors like coconut go less than what you'd use for vanilla, I think. I don't know if the flavor oils are different from the bakery emulsions. Often non-alcohol based extracts are stronger so you use half or less.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:47 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Dynahmite wrote:

What I have are the little tiny bottles. It's really strong stuff. I used to use it to make candy and I've used it in buttercream icing before. I don't have an exact amount but what I do is use a dropper and add just a few drops at a time until I get the flavor I want. You don't need much at all and it is not the same as regular flavoring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:07 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

crushed up orange or grape chewable vitamins i think are the closest analog to the flavor of champagne.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:24 am 
Slip it into my oatmeal

Put real champagne in your frosting! It'd be delicious.