| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: please tell me about sauerkraut
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

bionic-chocolate wrote:
Sorry if this comes across as a really stupid question, but I don't think we have 'kosher salt' here, which Wiki tells me is a flat flake. We get table salt or little rocks for grinders. Will the rocks (or ground rock) work or should it be that particular sort of salt?? :)

And if I waited until a cooler time of year (it's 20-30C here in the house usually at the moment), do I need to use my fermented kraut at the time or is it possible to make it and keep it for a long period so that I can eat it all year round?

Thanks for the link to that article - interesting to read that the raw one would be crunchy, as the canned sort we had was very soft and a bit translucent. It reminded me a little of cheese for some reason. At the end it mentions something about the smell - is there a big smell? We don't have basements or anything, so I'd have no choice but to keep it in a cupboard in the house.

I never noticed much of a smell. I mean, you can smell it if you get up close, but it's not super-strong. A larger grain salt is good (not the rocks, they're too big), but regular sea salt is fine, just don't use iodized salt or salt with anti-caking agents or other additives. I didn't can my sauerkraut because I used most of it up within six months. Once it's done you should keep it in the refrigerator to slow down the fermentation and keep it from getting too fermented.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:48 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I wish I liked it :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:58 pm 
Inflexitarian

BluePlasticStraw wrote:
bionic-chocolate wrote:
Sorry if this comes across as a really stupid question, but I don't think we have 'kosher salt' here, which Wiki tells me is a flat flake. We get table salt or little rocks for grinders. Will the rocks (or ground rock) work or should it be that particular sort of salt?? :)

I never noticed much of a smell. I mean, you can smell it if you get up close, but it's not super-strong. A larger grain salt is good (not the rocks, they're too big), but regular sea salt is fine, just don't use iodized salt or salt with anti-caking agents or other additives. I didn't can my sauerkraut because I used most of it up within six months. Once it's done you should keep it in the refrigerator to slow down the fermentation and keep it from getting too fermented.

b-c, how about Maldon or Saxa salt flakes? Just double-check on the iodine. Maybe other Brisbanites know of a store that might sell kosher products? Anyway, I'm inspired to try fermenting my own one day — and this thread has given me ideas for how to eat it other than straight.

By the way, I did quite like the stuff from the barrel-shaped jar. Can't remember the brand, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like it fried with onions on bread spread with mustard. OMG, sauerkraut sammiches. I am kind of addicted to sauerkraut at the moment and have been making my own. My latest batch has dill in it and is delightful.

It's also good with veggie sausages and delicious straight-up. I have a kid who is 2 and a half and he is crazy about my homemade kraut.

I have a kimchi tutorial here:
http://reallycrabbycrafter.blogspot.com ... -easy.html
And a sauerkraut tutorial here:
http://reallycrabbycrafter.blogspot.com ... y-way.html

(I recommend reading both because you can make sauerkraut via my kimchi method, too, and there's lots more info and a bit of troubleshooting in the kimchi tutorial.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:07 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Thanks so much for all the tips, guys!

Drossie wrote:
By the way, I did quite like the stuff from the barrel-shaped jar. Can't remember the brand, I'm afraid.

I have noticed it in the past but not seen it lately... I suspect it's in larger supermarkets in the foreign food sections. The Edgell stuff in a can seems to be pretty common though, it's not bad, sounds like other sorts will be nicer though! :)

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
I like it fried with onions on bread spread with mustard. OMG, sauerkraut sammiches. I am kind of addicted to sauerkraut at the moment and have been making my own. My latest batch has dill in it and is delightful.

It's also good with veggie sausages and delicious straight-up. I have a kid who is 2 and a half and he is crazy about my homemade kraut.

I have a kimchi tutorial here:
http://reallycrabbycrafter.blogspot.com ... -easy.html
And a sauerkraut tutorial here:
http://reallycrabbycrafter.blogspot.com ... y-way.html

(I recommend reading both because you can make sauerkraut via my kimchi method, too, and there's lots more info and a bit of troubleshooting in the kimchi tutorial.)

Wow, thanks for that, looks great! From the other tutorials I've read, it seems like it would take a long time to ferment in the fridge, how long did you have to leave yours for? And you didn't need to stir it or do anything apart from put it in the jar and top it up the next day?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

just curiously- why not iodized salt? for those of us who live in places where by law all edible salt must be iodized (yes, by smuggling in my leetle bag of celtic sea salt i am breaking the law. le sigh.) the other option is industrial salt, which is not exactly my cup of tea. is this why my sauerkraut didn't come out last time?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bionic-chocolate wrote:
Wow, thanks for that, looks great! From the other tutorials I've read, it seems like it would take a long time to ferment in the fridge, how long did you have to leave yours for? And you didn't need to stir it or do anything apart from put it in the jar and top it up the next day?

Yeah -- I just let it salt-wilt in a bowl, tossing it occasionally (you can skip this step and just let it salt-wilt in a jar) and then jarred it up and topped it up with brine! In the refrigerator, it took a good 3-4 weeks to start smelling like sauerkraut. (Kimchi ferments a lot faster, probably because it's so dainty and thin.)

torque wrote:
just curiously- why not iodized salt? for those of us who live in places where by law all edible salt must be iodized (yes, by smuggling in my leetle bag of celtic sea salt i am breaking the law. le sigh.) the other option is industrial salt, which is not exactly my cup of tea. is this why my sauerkraut didn't come out last time?

Iodine inhibits the fermentation process. That said, I have heard tales of fermentation working just fine with iodized salt. What happened to your kraut the last time?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:14 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i got moldy last time. ;-(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:25 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think the most popular way to use sauerkraut is on hot dogs and sausages. But THE best way to enjoy sauerkraut is on a reuben. Lotsa sauerkraut, lightly warmed, lotsa russian dressing on fat slices rye bread. That's the stuff.

Now I need a reuben. Thanks, PPK.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:47 am 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

pickledtreats wrote:
Mix it into some mashed potatoes!

or mac and cheeze, nom!