| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non-vinegary wing sauce recipe?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:24 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Anyone have something like this? When I was an omnivore (like 25 years ago) I never had hot wings. Now people will rave about how good they are and how restaurants provide a ton of different sauces. Every time I have made them vegan it seems like the sauce is always very vinegary and biting. Any suggestions for a good non-vinegar based sauce? Or should I simply give up on the idea of vegan wings?

Post subject: Re: Non-vinegary wing sauce recipe?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:29 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

http://donteatoffthesidewalk.com/?page_id=68

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

appifanie wrote:
http://donteatoffthesidewalk.com/?page_id=68

Would the hot sauce give it that vinegar bite? That is what I am trying to avoid. Maybe I just need to use a hot sauce with no vinegar?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

Valentina isn't very vinegary. You could mix that with margarine and agave. It's super cheap, too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:58 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I don't actually know - I was never one for wings - blech. But these wingz I love.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the agave balances out the bite. its yum!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

had you been making them with 1/2 margarine and 1/2 frank's sauce? (it is quite vinegary, but i can imagine how vinegary it'd be if you used straight frank's)

also, are you putting the sauce on and then baking, or putting it all on afterward? (vinegar is volatile, so baking it helps mellow it.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:35 pm 
Huffs Nooch

supercarrot wrote:
had you been making them with 1/2 margarine and 1/2 frank's sauce? (it is quite vinegary, but i can imagine how vinegary it'd be if you used straight frank's)

also, are you putting the sauce on and then baking, or putting it all on afterward? (vinegar is volatile, so baking it helps mellow it.)

I have tried two recipes (three if you count one of the dips). They all used Frank's. I think one of them was when I was testing for AfR perhaps?

I thought of this recently because my father-in-law had dead chicken wings he got from some restaurant that were in a white sauce. He said they were really garlicky and not hot at all. Up to that point I had just assumed wings were never my thing. In reality I think I just dislike the vinegar flavor.

edit: FWIW I have been baking them with the sauce on it. My idea there was to make it harden a little and almost glaze them.

Last edited by xmiyux on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The DEOTS wings definitely didn't taste vinegary when I made them. They were pretty mild overall (still gave me heartburn, but i was hella pregnant at the time).

I did just see a Veganmofo post where someone used sriracha hot sauce mixed with EB for buffalo style sauce.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

xmiyux wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

I have tried two recipes (three if you count one of the dips). They all used Frank's. I think one of them was when I was testing for AfR perhaps?

I thought of this recently because my father-in-law had dead chicken wings he got from some restaurant that were in a white sauce. He said they were really garlicky and not hot at all. Up to that point I had just assumed wings were never my thing. In reality I think I just dislike the vinegar flavor.

edit: For Frodo I have been baking them with the sauce on it. My idea there was to make it harden a little and almost glaze them.

ive never seen white wings and trust me, i see wings just about every day. you could try bbq sauce instead of hot sauce. mild wings also just means more butter than franks. but oh god do i love franks so i cannot advise this.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]