| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vegan modeling chocolate - help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:25 am 
So Totally Yiffy

ok so i've just committed to stress for the next 4 months by making the decision to make some edible dioramas for my horror cookies project - an edible bates motel, the exorcist house, nancy's house/freddy's boiler room from nightmare on elm street, evil dead's cabin, etc. in doing so i may need to work with modeling chocolate for a significant portion of this project. i dont know the first thing about it or if vegan modeling chocolate is possible. does anyone have experience with this that can lend a hand with a good quality recipe and technique? i'm also going to need to color it. i'm looking for coloring powders but not having much luck at ny baking supply.

help appreciated,
mackenzie

Post subject: Re: vegan modeling chocolate - help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:35 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

It's certainly possible to make your own since it's just chocolate and corn syrup. I don't have a specific recipe but it wouldn't be too hard to try out a few. There are a lot of semi-sweet and dark chocolates out there that will work. White chocolate would have to be ordered from a vegan store, but it's possible. The Wilton food colorings are gels but all are vegan. Maybe find a company that makes powdered coloring and give them an email. I think I emailed americolor but they didn't seem to understand veganism. Good luck, it sounds like a fun project.