| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mayonnaise throwdown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i'm surprised this topic doesn't exist already (or is my search-fu failing me?)

anyway, now that "just mayo" has been nationwide for a few weeks or so, i figure it's high time to have "the discussion".

i'm not a fan. not one bit. (i mean if that's all there is, that's fine, but vegenaise is SO MUCH BETTER!!!) and i don't think i'm stuck in a rut, i think it's just hard to top the original.

i grew up a hellmann's fan, and never liked miracle whip, so take this into consideration.

i was under the impression that just mayo was a port of the hellmann's recipe. is that not the case? i don't know, but it's not what i remember hellmann's to taste like. (but i mean, 15 years is a long time, so it's possible my taste buds just forgot the details.) just mayo on first impressions is just waaay too mustardy. and then comes the tang of miracle whip. that combined with it's liquidity, it's a poor substitute for the hard-to-top vegenaise. i mean, we finished the jar, so it's not horrible, but we won't be buying it again unless it's super cheap.

i haven't had the reformulated nayonaise just yet, so i'll hold off on that judgement. (and does spectrum also have a vegan mayo? i think i might remember having that years ago, but i don't remember details.)

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: mayonnaise throwdown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:19 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I was never a huge mayo fan but I like vegenaise and making my own following Isa's recipe. I use those both interchangeably.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:31 am 
Dead by dawn

I never liked mayo (or miracle whip, for that matter.) I used to use vegenaise for recipes that call for mayo, but now I just use wildwood garlic aioli, which I actually like enough to spread on a sammich. Obviously it's not a straight sub for mayo because garlic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:31 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

The reformulated Nayonaise has the consistency of snot, so…that really turned me off. Haven't seen this Just Mayo stuff around here, but I'm a bit of a diehard Vegenaise fan. I got the lower fat kind last night and was worried that I wouldn't like it as much as the kind with the blue lid, but it's just as tasty! I also like the Earth Balance mayo. Just not as much as Vegenaise.

Also, I totally hated anything mayo related when I was eating meat/dairy. I don't know what changed.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:32 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I did a search after I tried Just Mayo! But then never did a topic. What I do remember about non vegan mayonaisse is that the texture is much more mousse-like than anything that doesn't have eggs in it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i used to make mayo and tomato sandwiches with a little sprinking of salt all the time when i was a kid. we were also a huge potato salad family. needless to say, i still love mayo.

another thing i wanted to say is that "just mayo" is a horrible name. any brand i feel i need to use quotation marks to distinguish between it and simply something i might say to someone in a sentence gives me the growlies. (i think this might subconsciously be why i still say soy delicious.) i mean i'm guilty of this too, but i'm not selling anything. "vegan coupons"? sure! that's what they are. it's a catch-all. "vegan deals" same thing. "vegan roadtrips"? sure, i might eventually sell something from that venture, but that too is a catch-all. </curmudgeon>

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OH! RIGHT! earth balance. obviously, it's completely forgettable, as i had forgotten about it for this post. i bought my last container of it so long ago that i don't remember any details, but obviously it wasn't as good as vegenaise.

if i remember correctly, it was too salty?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:48 am 
Chard Martyr

In my neck of the woods we have Vegenaise and Spectrum's canola oil mayo. And Nayonaise.

I only like the lower-fat Vegenaise and the chipotle Vegenaise. I LOVE that chipotle shiitake. My newest favourite weird snack is half an English muffin spread thinly with the chipotle stuff with kimchi heaped on top. It's like some crazy version of Banh Mi or something.

I didn't grow up eating mayo either. In fact I think I only had it a couple of times pre-vegan--accidentely on a sandwich or something and I didn't like it.

When I lived in the states I loved the Wildwood garlic aioli and the garlic/dill miso mayo.

I have tried that Spectrum shiitake time and time again because it used to be all I could afford or find, but it is SO wrong. Nayonaise is awful. Sorry, nayonaise!

I don't remember all the recipes I've tried for homemade vegan mayo but I know I've liked a lot of them. Not always enough to resist a jar of Vegenaise when it's on sale though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oh! miso mayo. i like that. (but obvi, it's not plain, so isn't appropriate for all applications, so can't replace vegenaise completely)

i tried tofu666's mayo, and was sorely disappointed. maybe the salt measurement is wrong? i dunno, but that was not mayo. i've been hesitant to make my own since then. maybe if i am going to make a potato salad or something else that uses a lot, but the reason i like storebought stuff is that i can stock up and have it last a while.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:10 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I did a mayo taste test recently, but it was before Just Mayo came out. Veganaise was still by far the winner. It's the only one you'd want to eat by the spoonful. From what I've heard, Just Mayo tastes fairly close to commercial egg-mayo, but Veganaise tastes better than mayo. (I'm another one who didn't really like mayonnaise much but loves Veganaise.)

ETA I was discussing this with friends on Sunday, and we think Veganaise and Just Mayo are meant for different audiences. Veganaise is a small family company that makes (relatively) small batches for customers interested in veganism and related diets. Just Mayo is for the average consumer who's just looking for a mayo. Hopefully the price can meet or be lower than other mayos eventually to capture folks who shop by price.

Same thing for Beyond Meat. Vegans aren't really the intended consumer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:23 am 

Earth Balance is really salty, yeah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:34 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Very new vegan here, so I still remember Hellman's mayo quite well. I think vegenaise is just as good, if not better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:38 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm into nayonaise at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am super digging the new Just Mayo and it's creamy tang (I believe it's an independent private company, but not sure of the investors). Also a big fan of Vegenaise on sandwiches or dipping tots into (preferably plus garlic and Sriracha). I can handle Nasoya on a sandwich or into a super flavored artichoke dip, but never quite voluntarily.
For the record, I was totally disgusted by mayo pre-vegan.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:04 pm 
And you never will.

After a disgusting experience with Nayonaise years ago, I've stuck with Vegenaise ever since it became available in these parts. I know Nayonaise has reformulated and I've seen Miso Mayo (which I want to try but can never justify the expense) and Earth Balance mayo, but I don't see the point in trying them because I just love Vegenaise so damn much. My omni partner even prefers Vegenaise to eggy mayo now. I've never even heard of Just Mayo.

I also feel the need to add that every time I read the thread title I picture something akin to mud wrestling, but with mayo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I've been eating Just Mayo for a few months now, and I like it a lot. I also love Vegenaise. I might like Just Mayo a tiny bit more, but it really doesn't make much of a difference to me.

I've only sampled the EB Mayo but haven't had a chance to buy any.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:19 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

am i the only person who can't keep all the gosh darn similar sounding names straight and ends up buying something gross every time (either that, or I hate all the mayos. which is also possible)???? It was so disappointing in the US, I'm spending $6 (at least) for mayo, it better damn well be edible. Once I screwed up and bought that grapeseed oil one and barforama.

I'm glad to hear the opinions (^^) about the homemade mayo recipes (and if anyone has more to share, please please please). We have one brand of vegan mayo here and it's icky.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm 

I hadn't bought Vegenaise in a while a few years back and ended up buying naysosa and I was so sad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:54 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I love most things Earth Balance makes. Their mayo isn't bad, but Veganaise is still the clear winner for me.

Actually, I find I like the homemade type MUCH better, but I'm lazy and a lot of the time I would forget about it/let it go bad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

BhelOfTheBall wrote:
Very new vegan here, so I still remember Hellman's mayo quite well. I think vegenaise is just as good, if not better.

you are totally not the only one. http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... gular.html

poopiebitch wrote:
I also feel the need to add that every time I read the thread title I picture something akin to mud wrestling, but with mayo.

i picture this with a mayonnaise jar.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:03 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I love mayo but don't buy it anymore because invariably I throw out half a jar because I don't eat it often. Have you made Bryanna's home made no oil added mayo? It is unbelievably good and to me tastes like real thing. Give it a try http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.ca/20 ... acted.html

I didn't use the vegg because I can't get it and it was still excellent without it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:

i picture this with a mayonnaise jar.

hehe. i love you guys!

bhel, thank you! please report back if you end up trying the just mayo stuff. (also, my uncle is a firm convert to vegenaise, and he's still an omni. he's been eating vegenaise for a good 10+ years)

M&M, thank you for that recipe recommendation. i have a little packet of vegg, and haven't thought of what to make with it. (and it's also helpful that you think it's unnecessary.) i'll definitely keep that recipe in mind the next time i make potato salad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:47 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Bought Just Mayo and used it Just Once. I thought it tasted sweet. Weird. Vegenaise all the way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

In the states I'm a Veganaise person. In the Netherlands I'm also a Veganaise person, but it's this Belgian made version called the same thing, but not related to the US version. It is straight up delicious. Veg_eric and fisticuffs were awesome enough to ship me four jars of it when I couldn't make a meet up in Ghent. I'm on my third jar. I might even dare to say it's better than American Veganaise.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Vegenaise or it didn't happen.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next