| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best cashew cheese recipe?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:24 am 
Naked Under Apron

I'm having a friend over for tea on Thursday and want to make a few light snacks to have. I'm going to make some thin-sliced cucumbers/margarine/white bread sandwiches, but want to do something with cashew cheese (maybe tomato and basil). I made my own on cashew cheese the on the fly one day, but it was way too lemony. I want something really savory. I only have a food processor (my poor vitamix is back in America!), but it's a good food processor.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Best cashew cheese recipe?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:02 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I've been enjoying this raw Cashew Cheddar Cheeze recipe that Torque posted.

Cheddar Cheeze Spread or Dip
Adapted from 'Vibrant Living’ by James Levin & Natalie Cederquist

1 cup red or orange bell pepper
3/4 cup cashews and/or almonds, soaked
1/2 cup water
2 - 3 tbs rolled oats
2 tbs nutritional yeast
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs tahini
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt

Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add more water or oats until desired consistency is reached.

I haven't had much success with the nut cheezes that use agar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:27 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've tried the Pepper-Crusted Cashew Goat Cheese from VT and thought it was excellent. So pungent and firm enough for spreading. I did end up baking it for longer than the recipe recommends, but my oven is old and the temps are way off. I also refrigerated it for longer than what is stated. I noticed you mentioned you want this ready for Thursday. START SOON because this recipe takes about 24-30ish hours.

Pepper-Crusted Cashew Goat Cheese

Here is the recipe incase you can't access the link:

Cashews become very creamy and smooth when blended, which makes them perfect for this cheese. It's aged at room temperature, then baked just until dry to the touch.
Makes 10-oz. round

3/4 cup raw cashews
6 Tbs. canola oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbs. tahini
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cracked black peppercorns or coarsely ground black pepper

1. Place cashews in large bowl; cover with 3 inches water. Soak overnight.

2. Drain liquid, rinse cashews under cold water, and drain again. Purée cashews, oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt, and 2 Tbs. water in food processor 6 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.

3. Place large strainer over bowl, and line with triple layer of cheesecloth. Spoon cashew mixture into cheesecloth. Fold sides of cloth over cheese, and form into 6-inch-long oval loaf. Twist ends of cloth and secure with rubber bands. Set in strainer over bowl, and let stand 12 hours at room temperature. Discard excess liquid. Chill.

4. Preheat oven to 200°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap cheese, and scrape into 7-inch-long log on cheesecloth. Rewrap, and twist ends to secure. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 35 minutes, or until cheese becomes set on outside but still soft, turning occasionally. Cool, and chill.

5. Unwrap cheese. Sprinkle with peppercorns, pressing to adhere.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

cakenstein wrote:
I've tried the Pepper-Crusted Cashew Goat Cheese from VT and thought it was excellent. So pungent and firm enough for spreading. I did end up baking it for longer than the recipe recommends, but my oven is old and the temps are way off. I also refrigerated it for longer than what is stated. I noticed you mentioned you want this ready for Thursday. START SOON because this recipe takes about 24-30ish hours.

Cashews become very creamy and smooth when blended, which makes them perfect for this cheese. It's aged at room temperature, then baked just until dry to the touch.
Makes 10-oz. round

3/4 cup raw cashews
6 Tbs. canola oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbs. tahini
1 1/4 tsp. salt

2. Drain liquid, rinse cashews under cold water, and drain again. Purée cashews, oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt, and 2 Tbs. water in food processor 6 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.

3. Place large strainer over bowl, and line with triple layer of cheesecloth. Spoon cashew mixture into cheesecloth. Fold sides of cloth over cheese, and form into 6-inch-long oval loaf. Twist ends of cloth and secure with rubber bands. Set in strainer over bowl, and let stand 12 hours at room temperature. Discard excess liquid. Chill.

4. Preheat oven to 200°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap cheese, and scrape into 7-inch-long log on cheesecloth. Rewrap, and twist ends to secure. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 35 minutes, or until cheese becomes set on outside but still soft, turning occasionally. Cool, and chill.

I've made this one several times, and it is vegan and omni-approved. I reduce the oil to 1/4 cup and the lemon juice a bit, though. Even as made, it is really pungent, salty, and good.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:12 am 
Naked Under Apron

But you guyssss! I haven't found cheesecloth here yet. I've made seitan in a tea towel before, but that was boiling. Do you think I could do that with the cheese since it's going in the oven? I'm going to stop at one place tomorrow since it's near the market to see about a possible cheesecloth thing. Someone told me that the Dutch stores have something similar to cheesecloth used for baby cloth diapers, but seems like cheesecloth or muslin would be the absolute opposite thing you'd want for a baby diaper. Either way I'm checking it out but not betting on it. I really wanna make that VT recipe since everyone raves about it and I have all the ingredients.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just made this spread with half a boiled cauliflower instead of the tofu last week, soaked cashews instead of pureed, and garnished with tons of chopped basil - so good! I added a little vermouth, as well.
http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2 ... heese.html
With enough agar and a little more liquid, I'm sure you could mold it, too.

Last edited by jdfunks on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:23 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

pickledtreats wrote:
But you guyssss! I haven't found cheesecloth here yet. I've made seitan in a tea towel before, but that was boiling. Do you think I could do that with the cheese since it's going in the oven? I'm going to stop at one place tomorrow since it's near the market to see about a possible cheesecloth thing. Someone told me that the Dutch stores have something similar to cheesecloth used for baby cloth diapers, but seems like cheesecloth or muslin would be the absolute opposite thing you'd want for a baby diaper. Either way I'm checking it out but not betting on it. I really wanna make that VT recipe since everyone raves about it and I have all the ingredients.

If you can find a tea towel (the kind that isn't fuzzy), I think that would work.

Also, when I made it, not much moisture came out anyway. It was more spreadlike.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This one is great, too: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000685.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:32 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

pickledtreats wrote:
BuSomeone told me that the Dutch stores have something similar to cheesecloth used for baby cloth diapers, but seems like cheesecloth or muslin would be the absolute opposite thing you'd want for a baby diaper. Either way I'm checking it out but not betting on it. I really wanna make that VT recipe since everyone raves about it and I have all the ingredients.

I've also never seen cheesecloth here in Germany. I use the diaper cloths and they work for cheese. Plus, the tea towel sugesstion is great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:40 am 
Level 7 Vegan

cakenstein wrote:

Makes 10-oz. round

3/4 cup raw cashews
6 Tbs. canola oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbs. tahini
1 1/4 tsp. salt

I made the version of this from C'est La Vegan's blog and it was AWESOME. And a little more solid than a spread.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:02 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Tal Ronnen's Raw Cashew Cheese recipe changed my life. If you can spring for the probiotics and hae the time, it will rock your world:

Ingredients for Vegan Cashew Cheese:
- 2 cups whole raw cashews (no cashew pieces because they are too dry and not creamy enough)
- 1 tsp New Chapter All-Flora probiotic (powder from 6 capsules)
- 1 TB nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TB onion powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 TB tarragon, chopped
- 2 TB chives, chopped
- pepper
- Dash of nutmeg, grated

Directions:
1. Cover the cashews with cold water in a bowl and let it sit overnight.
2. Mix together the teaspoon of New Chapter All-Flora probiotic powder in 2 TB of water.
3. Drain the cashew nuts and put them in a blender with the probiotic powder mixture. Blend until super smooth (a Vita-Mix blender works very well for this).
4. Cover the bottom of a sieve with a few layers of rinsed (and wrung dry) cheesecloth. Pour the cashew nut mixture into the cheesecloth. Fold the layers of cheesecloth to cover the top of the vegan cheese. Place the sieve and cheesecloth holding the cashew cheese over a bowl. Put some bricks on top of the cheesecloth. Let the cashew cheese stand in a warm area for about 14 hours.
5. Remove the cheesecloth and put it into a bowl. Mix in the onion powder, nutritional yeast, white pepper, salt and nutmeg.
6. Form a 2 inch log on a piece of parchment paper and put it in the fridge until firm (a few hours, or best is overnight)
7. Put the tarragon and chives, and pepper on a plate. Take out the log of cheese and roll it in the plate of herbs.
8. Cut the cheese into slices and serve on baguettes with tomato, watercress, a touch of olive oil, salt, pepper and your cashew cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:32 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

The cashew cheese au poivre from this blog. I just use water instead of rejuvelac. You can replace the probiotic with a bit of miso.

Also what Mollyjade said...a non fuzzy tea towel works just as well as cheese cloth.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Why not try something like fine fishnet fabric instead of cheesecloth? Is it called toile? I'm thinking of the kind of fabric used for tutus.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

cakenstein wrote:
Why not try something like fine fishnet fabric instead of cheesecloth? Is it called toile? I'm thinking of the kind of fabric used for tutus.

tulle! Yes, that has worked for me, as well as loosely woven gauze.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:55 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I need to try the VT recipe again. I have really liked it the few times I've made it, but I couldn't run my old food processor as long as it needed to be run. But I have a much better one now!

nimrod wrote:
Tal Ronnen's Raw Cashew Cheese recipe changed my life. If you can spring for the probiotics and hae the time, it will rock your world

Do you have a fancy blender? I tried this recipe, but it was such a disaster for me because the cashews would not blend with 2 Tbsp of liquid; I had to add a ton more, so of course it didn't set up. Then when it was done all I could taste was the onion powder.

I didn't buy the probiotics though, because I was wary and wanted to see if the method/taste worked for me before shelling out the $30.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:42 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

I'm gonna try to make MeloMeals cashew 'goat' cheese this week!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

I love that one from Veg Times, but mine never releases any liquid so it kind of stays as a spread. But the flavor is fantastic.

The Tal Ronnen one was a little too oniony/herby for me.

It amazes me that a couple of years ago, we probably wouldn't have this thread. Go, vegan cheese makers!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I am certain that I had cheesecloth in my kitchen in Amsterdam. I may have bought it at the commissary in Schinnen. But it's more likely that it came from Albert Heijn or de Natuurwinkel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

Tamasin wrote:
I love that one from Veg Times, but mine never releases any liquid so it kind of stays as a spread. But the flavor is fantastic.

It amazes me that a couple of years ago, we probably wouldn't have this thread. Go, vegan cheese makers!

Oh, is that what happened? I made this for the first time on New Years. My cheese never released any liquid, so even after I baked it, it was more of a spread than a cheese log. Granted, I didn't realize how long this recipe took, so I kind of cut corners and rushed it. Is it possible my Blendtec processed it too fine/creamy and thick?

I am going to make it again sometime soon and take my time with it. I also want to add some probiotics to it, good bacteria, yeah!

Even though it didn't set right, it was still very tasty! I served it with assorted crackers, Lightlife pepperoni slices, olives, and roasted peppers. If you eat the pepperoni on a cracker with the cashew cheese, it's like a lunchable but so much better!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

xstartxtodayx wrote:
Tamasin wrote:

Oh, is that what happened? I made this for the first time on New Years. My cheese never released any liquid, so even after I baked it, it was more of a spread than a cheese log. Granted, I didn't realize how long this recipe took, so I kind of cut corners and rushed it. Is it possible my Blendtec processed it too fine/creamy and thick?

I am going to make it again sometime soon and take my time with it. I also want to add some probiotics to it, good bacteria, yeah!

Even though it didn't set right, it was still very tasty! I served it with assorted crackers, Lightlife pepperoni slices, olives, and roasted peppers. If you eat the pepperoni on a cracker with the cashew cheese, it's like a lunchable but so much better!

I'm not sure that's what happened, but I think so. The first time I made it was in the summer and it drained better and ended up firmer. Either way, it tastes so good that I really don't care.

With 6 minutes of blending, I think the idea is to get as creamy as possible. In other words, I don't think we can get it too creamy. Hopefully some more experienced cheese makers will chime in.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:51 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I think Dr. Cow might have inspired people, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:19 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Amy wrote:
Do you have a fancy blender? I tried this recipe, but it was such a disaster for me because the cashews would not blend with 2 Tbsp of liquid; I had to add a ton more, so of course it didn't set up. Then when it was done all I could taste was the onion powder.

I just have a basic kitchen-aid blender -- the cashews worked great it in -- blended beautifully and the cheese was so silky. But I tried the same recipe with macadamia nuts and it was kind of a dry, crumbly mess that my blender couldn't grind up right... but it still tasted good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:28 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Pickled, if you don't want to go looking for cheesecloth I reckon the Vegtimes recipe tastes awesome as is, just all the ingredients mixed up as a dip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:35 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2011/01/f ... urger.html

This is a really easy recipe for a goaty cashew cheese.. very tangy

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:32 am 
Naked Under Apron

Veglicious wrote:
Pickled, if you don't want to go looking for cheesecloth I reckon the Vegtimes recipe tastes awesome as is, just all the ingredients mixed up as a dip.

I have to go to the market today anyway (grabbing some bread to make cucumber sandwiches for my tea date!) so I'm going to check out the HEMA where they have the baby diaper things. If not I'll just use a tea towel.

My cashews have been soaking since last night. Mmm....

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next