| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanted: Dry Vegan Gravy Mix?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I recently finished off an old bag of vegan gravy mix I bought from a 7th Day Adventist store a few years ago that I had in the back of a cabinet.

Looking at the ingredients, it didn't look like anything I couldn't make myself.

I'm not great at estimating proportions, so, I was wondering if someone could give me a recipe for a dry vegan gravy mix I could make and store in a jar somewhere.

Thanks much in advance.

Post subject: Re: Wanted: Dry Vegan Gravy Mix?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oooo, good question. I never thought about this. I buy Road's End Golden Gravy once a year, and it feels silly to buy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A really basic gravy could made from powdered bouillon and cornstarch. You could fancy it up with extra spices, herbs, and nutritional yeast. Gravy would need about a tablespoon of cornstach per cup of water and I would consult the instructions on the boullion, since that would vary from brand to brand.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:08 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

mel c wrote:
A really basic gravy could made from powdered bouillon and cornstarch. You could fancy it up with extra spices, herbs, and nutritional yeast. Gravy would need about a tablespoon of cornstach per cup of water and I would consult the instructions on the boullion, since that would vary from brand to brand.

Yeah...I'd also throw in some flaked dry onion and maybe dried mushrooms if you can find them! Most recipes out there are just "saute an onion and mushrooms" and then add the dry stuff, so if you start with dry it would probably work out pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

lycophyte wrote:
mel c wrote:

Yeah...I'd also throw in some flaked dry onion and maybe dried mushrooms if you can find them! Most recipes out there are just "saute an onion and mushrooms" and then add the dry stuff, so if you start with dry it would probably work out pretty well.

dried mushrooms usually need to soak for 20 minutes or so before using, though don't they? i'm not sure how well they would work in a gravy mix where you just add water and whisk until it thickens.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:00 pm 
Bought a crop of bad girls

allularpunk wrote:
lycophyte wrote:
mel c wrote:

dried mushrooms usually need to soak for 20 minutes or so before using, though don't they? i'm not sure how well they would work in a gravy mix where you just add water and whisk until it thickens.

Maybe small pieces of dried mushroom?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mmm gravy...I would love to have packaged vegan gravy

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:01 am 
Dead by dawn

I shamelessly love Hain's vegetarian brown gravy mix. I made some at Thanksgiving the first time my ex's mom did a turkey and trimmings at my house and his whole family liked it better than her turkey gravy. The next year, we just made a bunch of packaged gravy and she didn't bother with hers at all. Anyway, it has corn starch, enriched wheat flour, salt, autolyzed yeast extract, onion powder, garlic powder, and less than 2% of safflower oil, spices, molasses powder. I'm not sure what autolyzed yeast extract is or whether you can buy it (would nooch be a substitute?) but it doesn't seem like it would matter a huge amount what your spices were since they're a less than 2% ingredient.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mel c wrote:

Could I make a gravy from 1 bouillon cube and a tablespoon of wheat flour?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:49 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Momo wrote:

Bisto is vegan, can you get that where you are?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:34 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

monkeytoes wrote:
I shamelessly love Hain's vegetarian brown gravy mix. I made some at Thanksgiving the first time my ex's mom did a turkey and trimmings at my house and his whole family liked it better than her turkey gravy. The next year, we just made a bunch of packaged gravy and she didn't bother with hers at all. Anyway, it has corn starch, enriched wheat flour, salt, autolyzed yeast extract, onion powder, garlic powder, and less than 2% of safflower oil, spices, molasses powder. I'm not sure what autolyzed yeast extract is or whether you can buy it (would nooch be a substitute?) but it doesn't seem like it would matter a huge amount what your spices were since they're a less than 2% ingredient.

I'm pretty sure that autolyzed yeast extract = braggs or soysauce or marmite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Okay, I tried making gravy by combining 1 bouillon cube, 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of corn starch. The mix didn't get thick. I put two more spoons of corn starch in and got lumps.

What do I need to do differently?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Cornstarch has to be hot to thicken... sounds silly, but did you heat it?

A splash of soy sauce makes gravy sexy. Also, substituting the water with white wine is always a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:43 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

jojo wrote:
Momo wrote:

Bisto is vegan, can you get that where you are?

I LOVE Bisto! I used this all the time in Canada, I'm having a hard time finding it now that I've moved to the U.S. though.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:22 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

beforewisdom wrote:
Okay, I tried making gravy by combining 1 bouillon cube, 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of corn starch. The mix didn't get thick. I put two more spoons of corn starch in and got lumps.

What do I need to do differently?

It might not have been hot enough yet to thicken. To avoid lumps when adding extra starch to something already heated just mix the starch with a little cold water first.