| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Cookbook Challenge 2 - Week 1 - Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:30 am 
WRETCHED

Our second Cookbook Challenge is starting Monday, January 10th and this is the thread to post about your week. The book for this week is Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. You may also choose an alternate book and post your results here.

Choose 3 or more (or less) recipes from the cookbook of the week or the alternate and tell us about it! Post pictures, comments or anything you want here. If you choose to switch books around and do this cookbook on a different week, feel free to come back and post in this thread.

So go for it!

Post subject: Re: Cookbook Challenge 2 - Week 1 - Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:40 pm 
Spent a summer in Brisbane, hated it

I started one day early. With a family of four, I have to have dinner ready almost every night. So here goes...I made the Chipotle Lentil Burgers. Jacques said they were spicy but I thought they were perfect. I put avocado on his to help with the spiciness. I think that they are better when they are cooled off, almost room temperature.

chatter and the husband haven't eaten yet so maybe I'll edit this post once I get feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I tried my first two recipes, Hottie Black-Eyed Peas and Greens and Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Apples. I loved the Peas and Greens, though next time I think I'll use less salt. I wasn't as thrilled with the sweet potatoes, though that's probably because I undercooked them -- I cooked them way longer than the time specified, and I kept on adding water, and finally I got impatient and just mashed them, but they definitely needed to be cooked some more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
glad i'm not the only one who started early! i made the classic black bean and veggie chili for lunch today (its the only day my husband and i both have off and he requested it). so yummy and satisfying! plenty of veggies so it's pretty filling.

i'm excited to make this again. it seems like the perfect meal to pre-prep the veggies a few days ahead of time and then throw it together for a quick week night meal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:56 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I started early too..

When cooking for one, I can't make too many recipe in one week, cuz I can't eat them all!

I decided to start at the beginning, so here is recipe #1 in the book: Everyday Chickpea-Quinoa Salad! LOVED this, delicious, great to take for work lunches!!

More details on the blog, this cookbook challenge is great inspiration...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:33 pm 
Hip Goiter

Ooh I will do this because I've been cooking out of this book every day since I got it! Today all I did was make the sun-dried tomato & walnut dressing. It was yummy! Very very thick, even though I added extra water, so I'll probably have to add a little water tomorrow or Tuesday as it thickens even more.
Hmm I wonder what to make tomorrow! I bought dried split peas so maybe the soup!

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm cooking out of this book all week! I'm planning on making the red thai tofu, black beans with red velvet mole, hoisin mustard tofu lettuce wraps, 40 clove chickpeas, chipotle lentil burgers, and some of the suggested sides for these entrees. So excited! Pics to come!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 pm 
WRETCHED

I tested for this cookbook so I've already made a lot of the recipes. I plan to make Ethiopian Millet and Yo'abesha Gomen later this week. I tend to cook food on Sunday for the first part of the week so I made 2 recipes. I had mushrooms that needed to be used so I made Garlicky mushrooms and kale. Also made Caulipots which is one I tested but it was an early recipe so its been a while since I made it. For the caulipots, I added some garlic powder and then topped them with some 'we can't say its cheese' cheddar spread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:55 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Our first dish for this week was Fusilli Roasted Veggie Primavera. I was that jerk who follows a recipe but changes everything. We used frozen green beans instead of asparagus, and I only put balsamic vinegar on half the pasta. I added extra olive oil to the other half.

I loved this. I thought it would be really good to serve to guests because it's familiar, flavorful, and colorful. Matt didn't really like it and made himself a pbj. He was disappointed that it didn't have a "sauce," but he's pretty picky.

I had a lot of leftovers since I was the only one eating it, so I'll see how well it freezes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:34 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I used this cookbook for the first time tonight! I made Lettuce Wraps with Hoison-Mustard Tofu and Unfried Fried Rice. Both were amazing. And for once, I didn't change a lot in a recipe. The only change I made to the lettuce wraps was adding a teaspoon of Dave's Insanity Mustard with the yellow for some extra spiciness and I added petite peas and bean sprouts to the rice. I just posted about it on my blog

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:16 am 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
^^^ i'm so glad to see someone did the lettuce wraps. i really wanted to try it but i dunno for some reason it scares me, like i'll eff something up. i'm not sure where the insecurity is coming from, those look YUM!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:29 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

shanniesaysyo wrote:
^^^ i'm so glad to see someone did the lettuce wraps. i really wanted to try it but i dunno for some reason it scares me, like i'll eff something up. i'm not sure where the insecurity is coming from, those look YUM!

I totally ripped a bunch of the lettuce when I was trying to peel it all apart, I only chose the one good piece for photographing =) the rest were a mix of large, tiny, and ripped pieces. It all tasted awesome though! Other than the lettuce, it was a wicked easy recipe! Make it, you won't be disappointed.

ETA:

Bek wrote:
I started early too..

When cooking for one, I can't make too many recipe in one week, cuz I can't eat them all!

I decided to start at the beginning, so here is recipe #1 in the book: Everyday Chickpea-Quinoa Salad! LOVED this, delicious, great to take for work lunches!!

More details on the blog, this cookbook challenge is great inspiration...

That salad looks awesome! I am checking out the blog now!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:58 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm planning on making mac and trees, pasta con broccoli, everyday chickpea quinoa salad and the curried scrambled tofu. I need to get groceries still though...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:18 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I want to make the Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Grilled Tofu and I bought the ingredients for the Lettuce Wraps with Hoison-Mustard Tofu. I'm also really interested in the Spinach Lasagna with Roasted Cauliflower Ricotta (I went and bought lasagna sheets too) and the Cajun Beanballs, so I'll probably have a crack at them this week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:24 am 

VeganMeredith wrote:
the curried scrambled tofu.

I've had the book only a couple of days and this is already part of my go-to arsenal. I'm growing arugula too, so it's always on hand.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Haha, I also started on the weekend!
I made Broccopots (to accompany my homemade seitan cutlets with Isa's mushroom gravy, which was awesome with some added Liquid Smoke - I'm a sucker for Liquid Smoke), and the next day I made a variation of the Chickpea Quinoa Salad using giant white beans and adding some carrots. Even though I used tahini in place of the cashews, the dressing was amazing. I think I could live exclusively on this salad - if it weren't for all the other mouth-watering AFR recipes!
Pics when I get home from work.

The Unfried Fried Rice looks so yummy!
And I can't wait for my copy of AFR to arrive (I'm cooking from the Amazon "look inside" feature right now), because I can't go on living without trying the Spinach Potato Curry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:42 am 

Phoenix wrote:
And I can't wait for my copy of AFR to arrive (I'm cooking from the Amazon "look inside" feature right now), because I can't go on living without trying the Spinach Potato Curry.

Do you have any chipotles in adobo? I made the corn and potato salad (just used red potatoes) and it's to die for! It was my first experience with chipotles and now I want to put them on everything! They've got that same flavour profile as the liquid smoke (which I adore too).

Picture of curried scrambled tofu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:00 am 

Phoenix wrote:
I made Broccopots...

What color were these?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mollyjade wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
I made Broccopots...

What color were these?

A lovely pastel green. Wait for the pic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 am 
Saggy Butt

I have Appetite for Reduction on order but haven't received it yet, so I went with the OMG Baked Onion Rings recipe I found online. They were really easy and tasty! Not quite the same texture as fried, but the flavor is all there.

Based on all you guys' pics, I am really excited to get this book.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:06 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

VeganFoodRocks: Please don't mind the forked up picture of the cookbook! Just noticed it now, and I've hopefully fixed it, ug...

If I post blogs from home on my Mac, they always look different (somehow) when I view them on a windows computer (ie, the strange and stretched out picture of the cookbook)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 am 

Phoenix wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
I made Broccopots...

What color were these?

A lovely pastel green. Wait for the pic.

Thanks! I was worried about army green food, but I really want to make this variation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:36 am 
Taco Scientist

I have been cooking from AFR for the last few weeks. So far my favorites have been the buffalo tempeh with Mac & trees, the tempeh with sweet potatoes, the chimichurri tofu portabella variation, and the tempeh helper. I guess I really like tempeh!

Last night I went through the whole book for the challenge and decided I wanted to make the Chili Verde con Papas. I made a list and went to the store, came home, almost finished the recipe and then realized I didn't have kale. I should have just left it out! Instead I used cabbage because I had some and it was not a good substitution at all. I ended up covering the chili with queso so I could eat it! I will have to try it again and follow the recipe :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:48 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made Caesar Chavez Salad with Eggplant Bacon!

And it was fantastic! I soaked the cashews for no more than an hour and everything was perfectly creamed. The dressing was made in a blender instead of a food processor, if that makes any difference. I think the next time I make this salad I'm going to chop the eggplant into very small cubes. I loved the strips, but they were a little hard to eat without a knife. Flavor-wise, it was everything I could have imagined and more. Cubes might be a nice variation; I imagine them to be similar to bacon bits and get a little crispier.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Pics, as promised:

Not 100% pureed Broccopots alongside seitan cutlets covered (nay, drowned) in delicious mushroom gravy.

Totally not Chickpea Quinoa Salad - it's made with napa cabbage, giant white beans and carrots, and there's tahini in the dressing instead of cashews. Still, sooo yummy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next