| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Quince Help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:45 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:58 am
Posts: 92
What is it good for?

_________________
Cleanliness is the absence of dirt, including dust, stains, bad smells and garbage.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 am
Posts: 1450
Location: Oakland
http://seitanismymotor.com/2009/12/10/q ... ice-crust/

http://seitanismymotor.com/2009/10/21/vfct/

http://seitanismymotor.com/2008/10/28/qc/

http://seitanismymotor.com/2009/12/17/q ... ean-puree/

Mihl is my go-to lady for all things quince.

I like to stew them with apples and autumny spices and put it over waffles. And also just to smell them like a psychopath whenever I see them in the market, SO YUMMY.

_________________
Formerly herbstsonne


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:13 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:32 pm
Posts: 437
Location: Cardiff, Wales
laminatedcat wrote:
What is it good for?


ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! YUH-HUUUH!

No, I don't know, I've never had quince, I just needed to do that.

_________________
"Wow. So I must've really misunderstood you when you said you loved the place and wanted to be buried in a vat of their platanos so you could eat your way out?" - Turk, Scrubs


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 1196
teddyplanet wrote:
laminatedcat wrote:
What is it good for?


ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! YUH-HUUUH!

No, I don't know, I've never had quince, I just needed to do that.


Nooo. We're done, Teddyplanet! Just kidding.

Quince is my favourite fruit ever! It's a pain to prepare because it is really hard. Make sure to use a good knife. You cannot eat ithem raw, but a simple compote is probably a good way to start. I love Maygles' suggestion for stewing them.

P.S. Thank you, M. for letting me be your quince lady! I love, love, love smelling them, too. I have some huge quinces sitting right in front of me right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:57 pm 
Tofu Pup
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:43 pm
Posts: 9
My mom loves quince (membrillo, in Spanish) so much! She eats them like apples. She even bought herself a little tree to plant in the backyard. She is so cute.

When I saw her enthusiasm, I tried to like them but I find them too tart and dry. I feel like they are sucking the moisture out of my mouth. Also, I don't enjoy things that feel like velvet.

I've heard they are really high in pectin. How about some quince jam/jelly/butter/preserves? THAT would be delicious.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:02 pm 
Chip Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 993
Location: San Francisco
These are edible?? I had a quince bush growing up and my mom always told us not to eat them because they were poisonous.

_________________
[...]then i pooped pink sparkles out of sheer hatred. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:48 am 
Built this city on rock and roll
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 1196
NittyGritty wrote:
My mom loves quince (membrillo, in Spanish) so much! She eats them like apples. She even bought herself a little tree to plant in the backyard. She is so cute.

When I saw her enthusiasm, I tried to like them but I find them too tart and dry. I feel like they are sucking the moisture out of my mouth. Also, I don't enjoy things that feel like velvet.

I've heard they are really high in pectin. How about some quince jam/jelly/butter/preserves? THAT would be delicious.


Don't eat them raw! If you cook them, they will soften and all the tartness will go away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:30 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1641
Location: Brisbane, Australia
I've only had quince paste.

_________________
Mel makes vegan food


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 3888
Location: Graz, Austria
Mihl wrote:
NittyGritty wrote:
My mom loves quince (membrillo, in Spanish) so much! She eats them like apples. She even bought herself a little tree to plant in the backyard. She is so cute.

When I saw her enthusiasm, I tried to like them but I find them too tart and dry. I feel like they are sucking the moisture out of my mouth. Also, I don't enjoy things that feel like velvet.

I've heard they are really high in pectin. How about some quince jam/jelly/butter/preserves? THAT would be delicious.


Don't eat them raw! If you cook them, they will soften and all the tartness will go away.


I'll have to try making vegan quince jelly. You can get that to solidify practically to the consistency of jelly babies, then make some flowers or other nice shapes using cookie cutters and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Cute and yummy!


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:05 am
Posts: 150
Location: Harper Woods, Michigan
I'm all excited! you can just stew them? I always wanted to try them but assumed that the only way to eat them was to cook them into a jelly. Eastern market had them 2 weeks ago, hopefully that farmer will have them again this week. Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:36 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:11 pm
Posts: 196
Location: the Hills of Caledon
Use the peels and pits with seeds to make jelly.
Cut the flesh into small small squares and make jam, or simply mash them after cooking, no pectin required.
Just google for recipes.
Poach them and serve with vanilla ice cream just like poached pears. Smells wonderful, they turn pink when cooked.
cook the flesh with a bit of water and sugar and boil until a thick paste forms. Spread into a pan lined with sugar and coat with sugar, let them dry out and then cut into squares. Quince paste candies, out of this world.
Quinces are one of the best fruits on the planet. I grew up in Switzerland and we used to have a huge quince tree infront of our house.
I live north of Toronto now and have tried to grow a quince tree but it is too cold here, it died. With global warming on its merry way I might still have one in the future.

There are quince bushes that lots of people use ornamentally, it is not the same thing. They bear pretty red flowers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:40 pm 
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:47 pm
Posts: 321
Location: Austin, Tx
mango quince salsa, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh baby.

You can pretty much use it like an apple, no?

_________________
CapitalCityBakery.com
"Like" my bakery on FB!

@inmypies
Texas VegFest 2012


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quince Help
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:18 am 
Built this city on rock and roll
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 1196
Lisamh wrote:
I'm all excited! you can just stew them? I always wanted to try them but assumed that the only way to eat them was to cook them into a jelly. Eastern market had them 2 weeks ago, hopefully that farmer will have them again this week. Thanks!


Yes. I usually add some sugar.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aubade, coldandsleepy, Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer