| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Juicing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:15 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i think i might be a supertaster, and i have an extremely hard time with bitterness. (i cannot add red cabbage to any future juices. i'm on the verge of puking each time. the first one i made with red cabbage, i blamed the radish... which i might also hate. the jury's still out on that.)

i was mostly okay with my "pizza" juice last night. (head of broccoli, 4 brussels sprouts, pint of grape tomatoes, 2 leaves kale, 6 carrots, 3 leaves romaine and a sprinkle of basil and oregano. oh, and some lime.) but i think next time i will use fewer brussels.

i just read, though, to reduce the flavor of bitterness, you can add salt. (i wonder if braggs would work the same way, or if it has to be NaCl)

what would you add with cucumber and dill? (figured i'd try my hand at a greek-flavored juice. i have no idea what i'd start with for an indian juice. have any of you juiced cauliflower before?)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I recently got a used champion and am using it whenever i can. This weekend I made "nutella". I fed hazelnuts through it with occasional teaspoons of dark cocoa powder and icing sugar.
It Was The Best Thing I Have Eaten In Years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 pm 

ooooooooooooooooooooh!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 am 

blehhhhhh. against my better judgment, i left the blossom end on my pears. i read you can just juice them whole without taking the core out, and i totally forgot that anything that was sprayed on them is likely to stick in the blossom end. my entire drink, i tasted a sulfury flavor in the left hand side of my tongue. i won't make that mistake again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So has anyone tried juicing with a high power blender, like a Blendtec or Vitamix?

My blendtec has a "whole juice" button on it and I've used some of the recipes that come in their booklet, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it with regular juicing recipes. I know they said to peel oranges and core apples, etc. before using them just because whatever goes in, you're going to be drinking it. I'm assuming getting the extra fiber from the whole juice would be good for you, right? Or maybe it's the case of too much of a good thing if you're drinking juices a lot?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:39 am 
Nailed to the V

Along the lines of "pizza" juice, I've made "tabbouleh" juice which is really good. I used cucumber, tomato, parsley and lemon. I'm a huge fan of parsley in juices, and most often do variations on kale/parsley/carrot/ginger/spinach (and usually with a slice of lemon or lime at the end. Heard it helps with vitamin absorption.)

I added a clove of garlic to a green juice once, but I'm not sure how I feel about it...It was a nice spiciness I think, but I felt like I could smell garlic on myself for the rest of the day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

Fennel+citrus is amazing. Loving fennel-carrot-tangerine-lemon. Throw in ginger too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Today I had a whole juice from my Blendtec cookbook that's called Creamy Cucumber Juice. It has yogurt (I used plain soy), green grapes, cucumber, and celery. I threw in a sprig of parsley for fun. It was goooooood. So tangy and creamy.

There's another one I make quite a bit that's called Tomato Broccoli Juice that uses tomatoes, broccoli, and green grapes. The sweet/sour flavor from the grapes balances out the broccoli quite nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I bought a juicer!!! My first homemade juice was with apple, carrot and lemon!