| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Apres-ski suggestions for omni friends.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:04 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have been invited to a murder mystery party with a ski theme, and potluck menu. My character's name is Onna Toboggan - har har. Anyway, everyone that is invited is an omnivore; possibly one vegetarian. I need some recipe ideas, and preferably things that don't need to be served hot, and can be transported easily.
I was thinking of making spinach balls which have a base of almonds and bread crumbs, and bringing a tahini sauce for dipping. Not sure how apre-ski those are. I'd like to bring something else for some variety.
I googled to get an idea of what the heck apres-ski food is, and the impression I get is most of it is served hot (makes sense).
Any creative suggestion for me?

Post subject: Re: Vegan Apres-ski suggestions for omni friends.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:18 am 
Inflexitarian

fondue comes to mind, maybe because it's a Swiss thing and Alpine skiing originated there, no? Maybe this is actually transported easily if you have the supplies and take them to the party. And yeah it's served hot, but you're not using up an oven or stove. Could be a chocolate fondue or maybe a savory one of some sort.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:48 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I wouldn't discount hot things- thermoses are actually really awesome, and hot soup or chili is really welcome after skiing. My family used to go on day-trips skiing when I was younger, and we'd always bring thermoses of hot coffee and chili, and some hot water and cocoa-mix packets (this was pregan)- to mix either with water or with the coffee, and then other snacky things like carrot and celery sticks, and apples and things. Cookies are good, too! You work up quite an appetite skiing while being very cold, so chili and cookies are great, and also things that hydrate you (veggies and fruit) because you do actually sweat a lot from all the layers. Things that are easy to eat with cold limbs and while wearing more than you usually do at a meal setting.

So I'd recommend chili, maybe mini corn muffins and some chocolate chip cookies, thermoses of coffee and cocoa, and then some veggie sticks- really water-heavy stuff like carrots, celery, jicama, etc, apples, maybe grapes. Not terribly fancy, but it's what I remember being very satisfying :)

EDIT: ... oh you're not actually going skiing? haha... ohkay. Lodge food is like over-priced cafeteria... um. Rumpleminz!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:35 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I was also thinking fondue. If you don't already own a fondue pot, you totally need one. But most fondues are started on the stove top and then poured into the fondue pot to keep hot. But maybe you could heat your fondue up at home, poor into warmed thermos for transport and then put into fondu pot when you get there?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:44 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Thanks for the suggestions. No skiing, and the weather is going to be rainy and 9 degrees celcius.
I thought about fondue, but I don't have a fondue pot. The person hosting is making cheese (dairy) fondue. I've kind of given up on the apres-ski themed food, and am just trying to focus on food that everyone will like.
I've made some sunflower seed pate from ascent mag., which I will pair with a baguette of sorts. I've got a shitload of cabbage in the fridge, so I might make Tang Tsel (Tibetan-style coleslaw) from vegan source book. Might makes some cookies, triple ginger snaps, or sesame-almond...might make curry chickpea hummus and pair with fresh veggies. It all depends on how tired I am after work.