| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cig kofte recipe?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:40 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I love the cig kofte at this chain around here called cigkoftem. Their cig kofte says the ingredients are bulgur, walnuts, tomato paste, and spices. I think there is some fresh parsley in there, but I have no idea what combo of spices they use. I've found a ton of recipes for cig kofte online, some using potatoes, others using just bulgur, some using bulgur and walnuts. I have no idea what the traditional recipe is, only that "real" cig kofte uses raw ground meat. Obviously I'm talking about the vegetarian version.

I love the cig kofte from the chain and it's perfect spread on a wrap with tofu, avocado, and other veggies for lunch. It seems to keep a while, too. Anyone know a good recipe or willing to help me figure out one? I'm not so good at recreating recipes I try at restaurants, but I'm willing to give it a go here!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Cig kofte recipe?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:43 pm 
Naked Under Apron

This one looks promising with the spice blend, but I have no idea if the slice of day-old bread is needed. I also don't know what hot red pepper paste is. I've never seen it, but I could go looking at a Turkish shop this week.

http://suleskitchen.blogspot.nl/2012/01 ... z-cig.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Walnuts? I tried to eat one at one of the chain stores here in Berlin and thought it was inedible and wayyyy too hot. Id definitely be interested in a good recipe, though. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My (Turkish) SIL told me when I asked her about the one in New York, which sadly I was too full of tasty vegan food from other places to try when I spotted it (a PSP… if there ever was one), that it was originally made with ground beef but now is generally vegetarian, made with bulgur and chickpeas. Apparently it's a very old dish but has recently become very trendy in Turkey again at street vendors.

But I don't have a recipe and if they usually get it from street vendors I doubt they do either, sorry, but just wanted to point out that veg recipes aren't necessarily inauthentic from what they tell me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:41 pm 

pickledtreats wrote:
This one looks promising with the spice blend, but I have no idea if the slice of day-old bread is needed. I also don't know what hot red pepper paste is. I've never seen it, but I could go looking at a Turkish shop this week.

I've tried to make cigkofte a few times and that recipe looks pretty good, but I think the kofte from Cigkoftem don't have much cumin, curry, coriander or thyme. Parsley, mint and pepper are the most important spices in their kofte. The bread in this recipe seems to work as a binder, so you don't need to knead it as long.

The spicing of this Dutch/Turkish recipe is closer to the Cigkoftem one, but you can see the difference in texture with really well kneaded kofte or the kofte with bread.

I also want to try these red lentil kofte some time: http://almostturkish.blogspot.nl/2009/1 ... ftesi.html

The pepper paste is this stuff (again link is in Dutch, sorry). It's like tomato paste, but made from peppers. There are mild and hot varieties. You can buy it in Turkish grocery stores.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:48 am 
Naked Under Apron

Oh yeah, I know that pepper stuff! I want to make some small batches to try and imitate the cigkoftem stuff. I'd also be interested in making the red lentil variety for a boost of protein.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:49 am 
Naked Under Apron

I might try this today using my food processor to chop things up. Do you think the cigkoftem kind uses chopped raw onion like the other recipes I seem to come across?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:43 am 

I don't think so. If they do it's a small amount, very finely chopped. They might use raw onion as a topping in their wraps though. I'm not sure, we usually get 'pakket 2' with boxed up kofte, wraps, lettuce and herbs that you have to assemble yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:43 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

pickledtreats wrote:

I made these today and they were delicious. I browned the onion, garlic, and spices because we don't like them raw.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:15 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

It's different, but it might fill your cig kofte craving: there's a red lentil kibbe in Vegan eats world that is delicious.
The ingredients are red lentils, bulgur, tomato paste, spices, fresh herbs (cilantro, etc), you can shape them or eat it as a spread. I made this recipe many time last summer.

Edit: aftert aking a look at the red lentil kofte, it kind of look the same as the lebanese kibbe in Vegan eats world!

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]