| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My cookbooks are on a moving truck. Help me plan dinner!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:36 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I haven't really cooked in over a month because we were moving. Now we're moved, but our stuff isn't here. I have a soup pot, a frying pan, utensils, knives and cutting boards, but no blender or food processor or any of that stuff yet.

I've got lots of grocery stores real close, but I feel like I forgot how to cook. I made stirfry yesterday and I want to make something special tonight because my husband had his first day at his new job. Also, I wanna make something healthy-ish because we've been eating not so great during the move.

any blogs you've been feeling inspired by lately? I feel lost not being able to flip through cookbooks for inspiration.

*sorry for this thread that i know has been done a million times.

Post subject: Re: My cookbooks are on a moving truck. Help me plan dinner!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

fork and beans is a new to me blog I've been reading at work lately. I also typically browse through VeganDad and Mike's What the hell does a vegan eat anyway?.

Last night we made a simple chikn broth gravy, Fork and Beans Blacken' cajun tempeh with Mikes colcannonrecipe and steamed green vege. it was pretty tasty and seems fancy enough

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:04 pm 

Thanks, BAD! that looks really good! there are some really good looking recipes on Fork and Beans.

I think I'm going to make tortilla soup and chickpea salad sandwiches, which is pretty not fancy, but I realized that unlike NYC, there isn't anywhere for him to walk to get lunch, so I wanted to make something that he could bring to work and heat up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:28 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Might not be fancy, but sounds tasty, filling, and nutritious, which is what's important in day to day cooking. Fancy cooking is not for when you just moved and don't have access to all your stuff. Good luck with the rest of the move! Moving just starts when you move in. Now you get to learn where all the stores you want to shop at are, which neighbors you get along with, where the good and bad and vegan friendly and not restaurants and bars are, where to go for yoga class or chess club or church or ghost hunting or D&D or ukulele lessons or whatever you want in your life. My point is that you might be up and running for making fancy food in a month or two. In the mean time, enjoy exploring your new environment!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:28 pm 

that's a really good point, ro! dinner was good tonight. simple and nice. we're eating on a towel on the floor anyway, so fancy is prob out the window. I do need to figure out d&d and ukulele lessons, too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:57 am 
Cranky

When I first moved to Madison, I made pierogi that I rolled out with a nagene bottle. Crazy, but it worked!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:13 pm 
Huffs Nooch

If you can get it I can recommend "Vegan Unplugged" by Robin Robertson for those times - easy "Pantry Cuisine" and great food ideas!