| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: grill pans
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Can people talk to me about grill pans? i feel like i have several recipes that call for grill pans. i dont know anything about them.

i see on amazon they have the long ones i see on tv shows but they also have ones that look like an actual pan.

i dont know what kind of stove you would use the long ones on. i have one of those stoves with the smooth top.
(this is the type of grill pan i mean: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LDP3-Double-Reversible-Griddle/dp/B002CMLTXG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417046057&sr=8-3&keywords=grill+pan)

do you use those on a gas stovetop?

can anyone recommend a good one?
i think i want to ask for it for Xmas.

Post subject: Re: grill pans
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:00 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Yes, I think you need to have a gas stove to be able to use one of those flat grills. And I would definitely prefer it to my Lodge cast-iron grill pan, but unfortunately I also have an electric stove. The primary difference between the two is the amount of space you have to work with. Otherwise, I don't think they differ that much in their functionality.

Do you have any specific concerns about using it? Considering how inexpensive these things are, I think they are worth having in the kitchen even if you don't plan to use them that often. It beats having to light up an outdoor grill in the dark (if you are cooking on a weekday after work) out in the cold. Although we can still do that here in California.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:39 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

no specific concerns was mainly confused about the difference.

is there much of a difference between using a regular saute pan other than the grill marks?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:01 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

The heat distribution is different because food is not touching the entire cooking surface, so it cooks slightly differently. We made grilled kale last week and I was still able to get a really nice smoky flavor to it. I have no idea where it came from...

My main complaint with this grill pan is its small size. Depending on what you are making, you are almost guaranteed to have to do it in several batches, so it takes longer than even on the smallest outdoor gas grill.