| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Post your low fat/low calorie tips!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:20 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Do we already have a thread like this?

I've been doing weight watchers, so I've been adapting recipes and things to make them lower fat/lower calorie. I thought this would be a good place to post ideas/tips that we come up with.

Tonight I made the dragon noodle peanut dressing from Isa Does It using 6 tablespoons of powdered peanut butter (Just Great Stuff brand) and then adding 2 ounces of baked sweet potato to thicken it up. It tasted great and the texture was pretty awesome, too.

A few weeks ago I made the cashew queso from the blog, cutting down the cashews to 1/3 of a cup and adding 1 cup of steamed cauliflower and an extra 2 tablespoons of corn starch. we had it over baked potatoes and broccoli.

Post subject: Re: Post your low fat/low calorie tips!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:08 pm 
WRETCHED

Obviously bulking up things with veggies is one of my favorite things to do. Serving saucy dishes over greens and a smaller portion of grain/potato helps creating a filling meal.

For salads, I've been squeezing lemon juice and adding a little vinegar. I add a little fat too in the form of olive oil, avocado oil, avocado and/or sunflower/pumpkin seeds but I'm able to use less fat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

This may be super obvious, but I will mention it anyway. I measure the oil I use when cooking. For most any stove top recipe, I find that a tsp is plenty. For some recipes, I cut even further.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I kind of discovered accidentally a couple of things that seem like they NEED oil, but dont! Yesterday, I made kale chips, with no oil! I already love 'em, this way was just as good. Tonight I made oven baked fries from russet potatoesa, again with no oil! For them, i flavored with Braggs and some dried herbs, they were crispy and yummy at the end!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:12 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Great idea for a thread! I'm not that good at adapting recipes, so I just keep cooking from AfR over and over. I can't wait to learn more tips from you guys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yeah, my biggest tips are mentioned above, but I'll try and think of more as I get cooking again. The oil thing is to me, the easiest way to add more calories than you intend for if you are watching calories. I agree with bcakes: a lot of times I find just 1 tsp works fine. If I am sautéing greens or something, a lot of times I just use cooking spray and keep everything moving around.

Vinegar on salads is another great tip. I was just on vacation and at the salad bar, they had a whole bunch of infused vinegars to use. One of them was green olive - I ended up using that and olive oil every day as a dressing. They did have balsamic of course, but another one that looked interesting was cherry. I didn't try it, as I was addicted to the olive one, but it did give me the idea to try different flavors at home.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:54 am 
WRETCHED

Oh and I forgot, yesterday, I just poured dijon mustard on my salad and it was one of the best salads I've had.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hummus on salad is another awesome option.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:41 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

yes to roasted garlic hummus on salad. I hate most dressing and this is the only thing that has got me eating salads on the regular.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Eat more mushrooms!

They can even be used to thicken sauces!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:09 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Salsa also makes a great fat free salad dressing. But I'm a little salsa obsessed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:32 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh yes, Salsa! Herdez salsa is my favorite salad dressing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm actually thinking about trying out the diet outlined in Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live book (I haven't read the book but I looked up the basic rules of it online) - I found out about it from an email from the No Meat Athlete website and was thinking of giving it a shot. I have a cruise vacation coming up in January so I'm gonna give it my best from now until then, with a short break over Christmas to eat whatever I want :) Basically it is unlimited veggies, fruits, beans, limit your grains to 1 cup a day, 1oz nuts, 1tbsp ground flax seed, and then no oil/extra sugar/extra salt. It seems like I'm still able to eat lots of food but it is all pretty low calorie/low fat/filling!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:20 pm 
WRETCHED

I would have to look it up but I don't think Eat to Live it is unlimited fruits. I think it is at least 1 lb of cooked veggies, 1 lb of raw veggies, at least 1 cup of beans and fruit but the idea is to get your veggies in before you chow down on fruit or extra beans.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It says "at least 3 fresh fruits" so I didn't know if there was a limit...but I could see wanting to not eat a ton of fruits and less veggies. I would like to put an emphasis on eating more veggies for sure. I know it says no fruit juice and no dried fruits also. I've heard this works really well. I think my problem is that I eat way too much bread and grains compared to veggies as convenience foods while I'm working long days, so I'm trying to pick up more salads and things like that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:09 pm 
WRETCHED

yeah, I started as a vegan following eat to live many years ago. I actually never lost weight on it but it was a good guideline for me. I do pretty good with not eating a lot of grains.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:45 pm 
Naked Under Apron

sometimes, instead of using pine nuts or cashews for a "cream" i'll use a little silken tofu (not the shelf-stable tofu, but the cold one) + drained can of white beans + lemon juice + 2 cloves of raw garlic (+ tbsp of cornstarch, if baking).

i dilute pesto with water from the boiled pasta. for saute'n veggies, i use just oil cooking spray then spice those veggies like mad for more flavor and add just a squeeze of lemon juice at the end for extra awesomeness.

i make lentil dip a lot as well: cooked brown/green lentils + boiled carrot and onion + water + 2 cloves raw garlic + coriander + cumin + paprika + onion 'n garlic powder + big squeeze of lemon juice (and sometime i'll add parsley) - add to blender and puree like mad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

hot sauce is my 0 cal condiment of choice! also portion control! unsweetened non-dairy milk also cuts calories by 20+ per serving.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:25 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh, I am constantly watching my calories. I am beginning to think I have a thyroid problem...but that is a whole other topic.

Anyways, here are some things I do to cut calories

Hummus: You don't need oil or tahini. Perhaps its not a hummus-y, but its a nice spread. I usually don't go completely oil/tahini free, but use a tiny amount. I use a lot of the water I cooked the chickpeas in, and some roasted red pepper or sun-dried tomatoes. You get much bigger servings this way.

Salad: Agree with the salsa option!!! Also, hummus thinned out with some salsa makes a good dressing

Non-stick + cooking spray: I know some people do NOT like non-stick, but i have a great one, and I use it all the time with cooking spray in place of oil in a regular SS pan.

Noodle/pasta Subs: I have been using a juileene tool and getting thin pieces of zucchini and carrot, and blanching them and using them in place of pasta. Or mixing half and half (I really LOVE pasta) This works super good in recipes with angel hair pasta, or the Dragon Noodle Salad ijustdiedinside mentioned.
shirataki noodles are not bad, but some people hate them.
Spaghetti Squash is a great pasta sub, but it is very $$ where I live.

Soup: Not really a tip, but soup is awesome if you are watching what you eat, and are sick of salad, or it is cold outside.

Best Tip: Appetite for Reduction. Just get it already.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I measure oil and bulk things up with greens, but I mostly just avoid higher calorie recipes, like things with cashew cream or peanut butter or lots of oil.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

good tips you guys! When I wasn't really trying to lose weight I never measured my oil and now I can definitely see why i never lost even when I was vaguely trying to eat better. I use my non stick pan so much. just a tiny spray of cooking oil and i can get my tofu nice and brown and good to go for stirfrys. The tortilla soup from AFR is soooo good. I can eat it over and over and over again. AFR is so so amazing!

Last night I made a loaf of bread to go with soup, so I cut the bread up and portioned out what we'd need to go with the rest of the leftover soup and put the rest in the freezer. that way i can't snack on the bread.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:53 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Today, I was having a massive PMS craving and decided I wanted buttercream frosting, and I realized I could use that powdered peanut butter to replace some of the sugar (also cocoa powder), I did it because buttercream tends to make me feel real sick real fast, and I realize it's already horrible for you but...better than nothing?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:44 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

so...that peanut butter powder is a good sub for real peanut butter in a sauce? I LOOOVE peanut sauce. Especially the sauce in that dragon noodle salad. I could put that on pretty much anything for noms.

Might be good in my morning smoothies too. Getting super tired of my protein powder, but PB has so many calories, so I usually avoid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

so the powdered pb - does it have a roasted taste? i crave roasted peanuts a lot...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:42 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My local Sprouts now has the peanut butter powder, the same kind that ijustdiedinside mentioned in the first post. I used it in the Dragon noodle Salad from IDI.

Wow. that stuff is AWESOME. The only thing that was weird was that it was slightly sweet, since it has some coconut sugar in it. But that is fine, since i will use it for sauces and shakes, which i usually add a bit of sweet to anyways. Honestly, I liked the sauce BETTER this time than with regular peanut butter. It will be my go-to now for peanut sauce I think.

I also got a little zester at TJ Maxx. I use it on Zuchinni and Carrots to make really thin 'pasta' out of it, and replace half of my pasta in dishes with that. (I just can't resist a bit of pasta, when I have to cook it for my partner anyways). it was really excellent in the noodle salad.